LegacyGT.com

Steering isues 05 Legacy gt

Steering is really jerky, no squeaking no noises, belt is good. Had bad o-ring in feed line, replaced it, but still the same.

Opened PS reservoir and turned wheel left and right until stopped, i saw bubbles coming out, but still no improvement on the steering.

Just don't know what else to check, PS pump, Steering rack ? Lines? Hell knows what is going on

Thanks for help

Your symptoms are very similar to what I'd experienced in June. The car's steering became very jerky on city streets, especially under braking at speeds below 40mph. It also followed the uneven pavement and wandered all over the road if the crown of the road changed.

There was also a noticeable "thunk" sound as soon as I accelerated from a stop and the weight transfered off the front to the rear. It is a well known front suspension weakness of the Subaru vehicles.

I jacked up my car and removed the right wheel. Sure enough, the lower control arm (LCA) rear bushing had torn on both wings. I also replaced the right wheel, and jacked up the left side, removing that wheel and discovered that one of the wings had broken.

I ended up getting a pair of Tomioka LCA bushings (PN TR-CS2000) to replace them. After 1/2 day of garage work, I had the new ones in. A short trip to the alignment shop and it was fixed. http://www.tomiokaracing.com/index.php/products/chassis-suspension/lower-control-arm-bushing-for-subaru.html

There are other members whom have replaced these LCA bushings with high performance polyurethane bushings. See thread below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/why-you-should-replace-your-lca-bushing-178774.html?t=178774&highlight=torn+lca+bushing

P1010981.thumb.jpg.4b1156362eba084d760c5d9bc1b55e6a.jpg

P1010982.thumb.jpg.6dddd9e8a2c7beefb0eee0480bc9f7bb.jpg

Well, i did replace LCA bushings, new CV axles, new bolt joints like 300 miles ago. It is better than it was before, but symptoms still there, really jerky steering especially on uneven road surface, it feels like if i let steering wheel out for a sec i'll hit a curb. I'll have it tomorrow on the lift, and inspect it closer, maybe i forgot to tighten something down. Will see

When I had the rack replaced, I was told to drive in figure 8's a few times, at slow speed in a parking lot.

It took a few times but finally all the air was gone. Took about 3 or 4 times. Steering feels great after that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you've done the LCA replacement already, then consider worn inner tie-rods that may be gone. The steering rack & pinion may also be worn.

The symptoms would be jerky steering since there would be front wheel toe changes as you drive. Toe out under coasting and braking, toe-in under acceleration.

Ckecked tie rods and they look fine to me. I still think there is air in the PS system.

That pises me off, because other than this car runs fine, also i did alignment today and there is no change after alignment.

And also it seems like steering gets better response and less jerkyness after number of turns, but then it goes back to what it was before.

Ckecked tie rods and they look fine to me. I still think there is air in the PS system.

That pises me off, because other than this car runs fine, also i did alignment today and there is no change after alignment.

And also it seems like steering gets better response and less jerkyness after number of turns, but then it goes back to what it was before.

When I had the rack replaced, I was told to drive in figure 8's a few times, at slow speed in a parking lot.

It took a few times but finally all the air was gone. Took about 3 or 4 times. Steering feels great after that.

Did you do this ?

It took a few times over a few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 6 months later...

All winter it was OK, because i had snow tires, now when i installed old summer tires it is doing it again, jerky steering, hard to hold car steady on uneven pavement etc.

PS pump leaks fluid, so i suspect air is in the system, probably have to buy reseal kit or new hoses.

So, have you checked the PS fluid level ?

Do you have a bad tire ?

Do you have a bent wheel ?

Archived