LegacyGT.com

Turbo replace

Aftermarket is probably better, but is going to require a tune. If you are looking for more power I'd take this opportunity to upgrade otherwise I'd look for a vf46 and just use the pill from your vf40. They go for about $400 or less shipped. Your vf40 is worth some money to someone as a core for an aftermarket hybrid build.

So I have had my Legacy for only a week and the Turbo went out on it. It is a 2005 with only 68,000 miles. What is better a OEM or aftermarket replacement?

Gosh, better is so circumstantial. What are your goals with the car? Do you want to stay stock? Do you have a lot or a little money to spend?

Cheap option:

remove banjo bolt filters, change out for VF40/46 turbo for $400 with 20k miles on it

oem option

remove banjo bolt filters, toss in new turbo (over $1000!!!)

rebuild option

get a rebuilt turbo from BnR. they will rebuilt.

mod option

buy a downpipe $200, BnR 16g turbo (bigger wheel similar to an sti vf39 turbo power wise in a vf40 stock housing) $700ish after core fee and an infamous1 tune $175?

How much money you got to spend?

$500? $1000? $1500?

Are you the sort who even cares about HP? Many would rather have HID lights, wheels and a body kit (thats fine too, but if you are into modding appearance, dont waste money on go-fast bits). Are you the sort who just enjoys the forum and doesnt what to mod? We need way more info OP

I enjoy having the turbo for the car because i like having the ability to have some good power when I need it. I would like to not have to buy a new turbo and not spend over $1000 but if i get a rebuilt one, there probably isn't a warranty if it blows again.

Archived