LegacyGT.com

squeaking noise thats getting worse

squeakygt

So recently a 2006 legacy gt came into my possession. It had been sitting outside from late february to early june. It was only driven 2 or 3 times in that period, and it was less than a block away from the ocean on the oregon coast. So there was A LOT of rust on the brakes. As expected there was a hissing noise coming from the brakes, most noticeably on the driver side rear. It was pretty quiet, and would go away when I pushed the brake pedal and it was getting better the more I drove it. But now there is a louder squeaking sound coming from somewhere on the driver side. It started out as a squeak squeak squeak squeak, but now its just a continuous sound.

Any ideas?

HAHA love the username, it might be a swaybar bushing or possibly the brake pad itself. If there isn't grease on those items you can get squeaking. Are there any modifications done to the car or is it all stock?

It's all stock.

I just took the car out to get some lunch and there was no squeak.:iam:

The thing that gets me is both noises are there when the brakes aren't applied. The louder squeak doesn't go away when i push the brakes. I don't think it would be a sway bar bushing because it squeaks non-stop, a lot like a flatline sound.

My car is actually doing the same thing and i have honestly no idea what the problem is either. But mine squeaks from a stop and then goes away after the 15-20mph range. Doesnt squeak when i hit the brakes either.

The pitch increase with the speed. I took it in to the dealer today because I had a free brake inspection coupon. They said there was build-up around the outside of the rotor where the pad doesn't touch, probably caused by the salty air and not being used for so long. Thats what they thought was rubbing. The rotors should be refinished by tomorrow, I guess I'll know then.

Archived