LegacyGT.com

Once Again Overheating Issues

So my car is overheating again....

2.2 N/A

Here's the symptoms:

-Radiator is cold

-overheats at only at highway speeds

-Overflow is over filled (not sucking in coolant)

-Not losing coolant

-Top hose is warm, Bottom is cold

-Thermostat was replaced a year ago

-90k on the clock with a new waterpump/timing belt

I dropped the car off before I went to work to have a coolant system pressure test/full check done because I didnt have time this morning.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Pinhole leak on head gasket.

I sure hope not. Why do those symptoms lead you to think of that?

Sounds like a flow issue. Subaru thermostat? Taking it to a subaru repair shop?

No not a Subaru Thermostat. Just an auto parts store one.

Its sitting at the local firestone by my house.

oh and it doesnt overheat on backroads.. just on the highway.

sounds like flow restriction to me, id check out that tstat first.

why, you ask? on the highway, you have the rpms up over 2400, and normally with the circulation the wind alone is enough to keep the engine cool, so head gasket issues are masked a bit by the fact that it doesnt overheat until you get onto the city streets.

when you have restricted flow, youll have cooling at lower rpms and with minimal (and not constant) load on the engine.

ive had the same symptoms on vehicles with bad pumps (messed up impellers), clogged water lines as well as clogged radiators.

sounds like flow restriction to me, id check out that tstat first.

why, you ask? on the highway, you have the rpms up over 2400, and normally with the circulation the wind alone is enough to keep the engine cool, so head gasket issues are masked a bit by the fact that it doesnt overheat until you get onto the city streets.

when you have restricted flow, youll have cooling at lower rpms and with minimal (and not constant) load on the engine.

ive had the same symptoms on vehicles with bad pumps (messed up impellers), clogged water lines as well as clogged radiators.

That makes sense. The shop called me (im at work till 7 ugh) and they said there was a blockage, the thermostat wasnt working... and they wont continue testing till its replaced. So hopefully its just that. I wish I could just do it myself haha. Theres that trade off, when I had my own shop I could tinker with it and fix it, but now that I have an office job I dont have the time anymore.

Archived