LegacyGT.com

Terrible brake noise

Nomadic Logic

So here's the situation.

- The dealership (who I like and trust) tells me it's time to replace pads. I do so, and go with ceramic to avoid the brake squeal I hear with so many Subies.

- I develop a slight scratching sound, which the dealership says is the pads adjusting to the rotors or what have you. After another two weeks and no change, they machine my rotors. The sound goes away.

- NOW, weeks and months later, I have a SEVERE scraping sound from the driver's side front wheel, when the wheel is straight or I'm turning right. If I'm making a left turn, NO sound whatsoever. On top of that, there's a distinct rattle when going over bumps.

The dealership has told me it's simply corrosion on the stock rotors, and that there's no safety issue. I either live with the sound or replace the rotors.

Corrosion = a nasty rattle over bumps? The scraping sound, maybe. But not the rattle?

It's to the point where I'm embarrassed to drive my car, which sucks.

Do we really think a rotor replacement is the answer here?

2006 GT Wagon, with 58,000 miles.

Most likely you have a stone caught between the rotor and the backing plate.

During normal driving the brakes should not make noise ever.

Take it to a local shop and have them look at it. Stay away from the Stealership unless it's covered under warrenty.

Never bring your car to them for anything unless it's under warrenty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived