LegacyGT.com

Final: Disable Seat Belt Chime.

For me, I did the 20 click in 30 second method. I am a little apprehensive about unplugging stuff without knowing 100% that it will not affect airbag or other safety equipment operation. I may tear out the dash one day and annihilate the little speaker. For now, the click method works, and it is Subaru 'approved'.

I also did this and it worked +1 for this method

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone come up with a way besides the 20x click method to disable the chime on the passenger side? Unplugging the harness on the drivers side (obviously) does nothing for the passenger side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I found an easier method to stop that stupid chime... put your damn seat belt on. Its the law to wear it and it can one day save your life. Speed mods... smart, seat belt chime mod for not wearing belt...STUPID!

Incredibly frustrating.. no one here is promoting not wearing a seat belt. It's for the times when you're sitting in your car and not driving, or backing it down the drivewar for a second, etc... Let's be constructive and not throw unwarranted self righteous comments out there.

On to the real issue.. I tried the seat belt clicky thing it worked for 2 days then blam right back on. I tried the taking apart the buckle, and I too could not get the seat belt to click in until I forced it, which of course undid the slider.

I will do the under the seat disconnect and report back if I have any issue.. Now we've got to find a good system to disable that passenger side!

Incredibly frustrating.. no one here is promoting not wearing a seat belt. It's for the times when you're sitting in your car and not driving, or backing it down the drivewar for a second, etc... Let's be constructive and not throw unwarranted self righteous comments out there.

On to the real issue.. I tried the seat belt clicky thing it worked for 2 days then blam right back on. I tried the taking apart the buckle, and I too could not get the seat belt to click in until I forced it, which of course undid the slider.

I will do the under the seat disconnect and report back if I have any issue.. Now we've got to find a good system to disable that passenger side!

Just be careful not to unplug the connector for the airbag!

• 1 month later...
in most VW's with a seatbelt chime there is what looks like a relay with a speaker on the end plugged in under the dash with the other relays.

Can someone with access to the wiring diagram find the source of the chime and just yank it? I don't have a legacy book yet... but the sound is definitely coming from around the steering column.

forgot pic

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/3e/7d/27_2.JPG

It comes from one of the main controll boxes, no way to yank it with out affecting other features. Just unplug it from under the seat

FYI, I've taken a totally different approach to disabling the annoying chime on both an '05 and an '08 Outback and it worked out great. I removed the little black box under the dash, just right of the steering column that houses the actual speaker itself and just un-soldered the little round buzzer (it's just about an inch by half and inch) and just like that, no more dinging! I did take pictures but I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them in my spare time.

• 1 month later...
FYI, I've taken a totally different approach to disabling the annoying chime on both an '05 and an '08 Outback and it worked out great. I removed the little black box under the dash, just right of the steering column that houses the actual speaker itself and just un-soldered the little round buzzer (it's just about an inch by half and inch) and just like that, no more dinging! I did take pictures but I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them in my spare time.

Please please please post pics lol

That annoying chime is the ONLY dislike of my car.

Please please please post pics lol

That annoying chime is the ONLY dislike of my car.

Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed on me about a year ago and I think I lost those pics with it. However, if you want to PM me I'd be happy to talk you through the removal process. Pretty strait forward really, just need a soldering iron and a few small hand tools. If I end up finding the pics, I'll definitely post them up. Or if I find another '05+ Legacy/Outback I can modify, then I'll take some new pics. :-)

• 1 month later...
I did it cause I would leave the car running with my girlfriend in the car as I ran into a store and she would reach over and click the driver seatbelt in so it would stop the stupid noise!! Very easy to undo and to put it back in the event of selling my car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unplugged the white driver seat sensor yesterday and it worked like a charm, no more light, no more chime and no error lights.

I raised the seat up all the way but ended up removing the 2 front bolts (14mm socket) so I could get my my arm in there. Took me just as long to find the right socket from my box as it did to do it, thanks guys :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm way thrown off. I just did this and it seems to have turned off the passenger side as well. Now I'm paranoid I screwed something up hah. Passenger airbag light and passenger seat belt light by the map lights still function. Also the open door chime is disabled as well, but the on dash light still functions... The key in the ignition chime still works as well.. Did I hit the jackpot? I have an OEM under seat sub if that changes anything..

• 6 months later...

Just saved the day! **** that was annoying as hell. The 20 clicks worked but then when i reset my battery it didnt work anymore.

Even when sitting in the car it chimed and damn so horrible.. Now i can put my seatbelt on when i start driving with no noises.

• 1 month later...