LegacyGT.com

disable the AC on defog and feet

ebpda9

did anyone do this ? i want to disable the ac from starting automatically on defog and feet position, but i would like to keep it on defog only. i am a smoker and i hate having it on vent all the time because it blows the ashes everywhere. any help would be appreciated

did anyone do this ? i want to disable the ac from starting automatically on defog and feet position, but i would like to keep it on defog only. i am a smoker and i hate having it on vent all the time because it blows the ashes everywhere. any help would be appreciated

not gonna happen

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

My A/C doesnt come on with the "feet" selection. Only with the "defog".

You want the a/c on when defoging because it uses the condenser in the A/C to get the humidity out of the air.

The A/C really doesn't effect fuel consumption much, and if you need the "extra" power that the HVAC system uses then you should be shutting it off anyway.

Well I don't have the climate control, so my A/C did not come on unless I hit the button for it. (Rememebr I also have a 2002 Leggy)

When my window fogs up, I just turn it on hot and set it to defrost. Clears right up. Never had an issue.

2002 Subaru Legacy L (Retired)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

First, I always turn the HVAC system off before I shut off the car, when I start the car, I press the auto button, it immediately goes to defog and one bar fan speed without the AC running. Once the water temperature gauge starts to move, it then switches to defog and feet, still at one bar fan speed, once the water temperature gauge gets to the first mark, it then switches to face and feet, bumps up the fan speed by one or two bars and then turns the A/C on, which I immediately turn off if I'm using it for heat.

Now, if I press the defog button, then the system automatically goes to full fan speed and turns the A/C on, no matter what the water temperature is at.

I'm curious as to why yours starts with the A/C on and mine doesn't. Could it be that it learns that the user always turns the A/C off when the car is started and eventually doesn't turn it on? I doubt that cause it does eventually turn on my A/C, once the car has reached normal temperatures. Kinda strange if you ask me.

You do understand that the "ac" is just the compressor turning on right? The "ac" has nothing to do w/ your problem of blowing ashes.

The "ac" button turns on the compressor and in turn makes a coil in the airsteam cold. When you pass air over this cold coil, it cools and dehumidifies it. This is usually done by a fan.

So as long as the fan is on, you will have air blowing your ashes around. Regardless if the "ac" is on or not.

If it's cold out, AC will be disabled temporarily. Above a certain temp, the AC light may come on, indicating AC can run, but it doesn't necessarily run full time. When in auto, it may cycle the AC on/off as needed, or it might not come on at all. The presence of the AC indicator in auto mode just indicates that AC can cycle on if needed. It's not necessarily running thought.

So, I'd say the difference between your observation and the other one is the local ambient temperature at the moment.

Craig

--

First, I always turn the HVAC system off before I shut off the car, when I start the car, I press the auto button, it immediately goes to defog and one bar fan speed without the AC running. Once the water temperature gauge starts to move, it then switches to defog and feet, still at one bar fan speed, once the water temperature gauge gets to the first mark, it then switches to face and feet, bumps up the fan speed by one or two bars and then turns the A/C on, which I immediately turn off if I'm using it for heat.

Now, if I press the defog button, then the system automatically goes to full fan speed and turns the A/C on, no matter what the water temperature is at.

I'm curious as to why yours starts with the A/C on and mine doesn't. Could it be that it learns that the user always turns the A/C off when the car is started and eventually doesn't turn it on? I doubt that cause it does eventually turn on my A/C, once the car has reached normal temperatures. Kinda strange if you ask me.

first: my car does not have the automatic climate control, it has the manual dials.

Second: if i turn the position knob to "defog and feet" or "defog" the ac compressor will automatically start. I can feel the ac compressor turning on regardless of the outside temperature

Third: the blowing ashes problem occurs only when the hvac system is set to use theconter vents in the dash, plus i really hate having the air blowing on me. i used the "defog and feet" setting on every car that i have/had.

This thread just reminds he how horrible the auto climate control is on this car.

If the vent mode is defog only, it should turn on the AC as needed to defog the window. With the feet/defog setting, it should not turn on the AC. This brings up another point, why is there a defog button located within the passenger temp control knob? Isn't this redundant?

If I could have gotten my car with all the options except the automatic climate control, I would have! What happens if I want it to be 62 degrees in the car?? I can't! And having the temp values range from 66 to 84. Who the hell ever wants a constant interior car temp of 84 degrees?? What about vent without a fan speed? :mad:

I have a feeling in a few years there will be a lot of AC conpressor failures due to the fact that they cycle way too often and for very short periods of time. There are times that I hit a particular mode, the ac kicks on, and then I hit the ac button to turn it off. Stupid ass design! What was Subaru thinking? I still need to file a complaint about it.

I turn on my climate control, make the associated "button presses" to make it as manual is possible and never turn it off. If I turn it off, I have to go through the whole button pressing thing to set it back to "manual" mode. :rolleyes:

-S

• 2 weeks later...
This thread just reminds he how horrible the auto climate control is on this car.

If the vent mode is defog only, it should turn on the AC as needed to defog the window. With the feet/defog setting, it should not turn on the AC. This brings up another point, why is there a defog button located within the passenger temp control knob? Isn't this redundant?

If I could have gotten my car with all the options except the automatic climate control, I would have! What happens if I want it to be 62 degrees in the car?? I can't! And having the temp values range from 66 to 84. Who the hell ever wants a constant interior car temp of 84 degrees?? What about vent without a fan speed? :mad:

I have a feeling in a few years there will be a lot of AC conpressor failures due to the fact that they cycle way too often and for very short periods of time. There are times that I hit a particular mode, the ac kicks on, and then I hit the ac button to turn it off. Stupid ass design! What was Subaru thinking? I still need to file a complaint about it.

I turn on my climate control, make the associated "button presses" to make it as manual is possible and never turn it off. If I turn it off, I have to go through the whole button pressing thing to set it back to "manual" mode. :rolleyes:

-S

Posts like this annoy me. Plenty of us have figured out how to make the system work, so stop complaining.

If you want vent without fan, press off, then press mode to select which vents are open. Your previously set temp will still be in effect. If you want pure ambient vent, you should set temps to 65 before hitting off.

Since about 1998, almost every manufacturer has been running/cycling AC full time with their auto climate control systems. I remember when my friend's Explorer did it back in 1997 or so. It's not a big deal, since the compressors are built for it. And, having them run prevents them from seizing up during winter months. Plus, if you read the HVAC sticky, you'd learn that the light means AC can run, not that it has to be running.

I don't understand why the presence of the defog button is confusing to you. Auto climate control is based on temperature, but it doesn't know if it's raining or the windows are fogging up. Those are times you'd mash the defog button (which triggers high speed fan, proper vent mode, and AC -- all things you want when the windows fog up).

AC should definitely come on with the feet/defog mode. If you want any sort of window defogging, then you definitely want AC on. If you're not trying to defog the windows, then you should not even be using that mode.

While I agree the Subaru auto climate control system is far from perfect, people who fight and/or second guess the system without really understanding it is even worse.

Craig

Posts like this annoy me. Plenty of us ha....... the system without really understanding it is even worse.

Craig

:) nice

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/lol/TN_sign_owned02.JPG

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Posts like this annoy me. Plenty of us have figured out how to make the system work, so stop complaining.

I too have figured out how to implement the workarounds, long before your post. I can also voice my opinion about how horrible the system really is. You can't convience me the system works well. I would say it is acceptable at best. You shouldn't have to read some forum post to figure out how best to use the system! :rolleyes:

If you want vent without fan, press off, then press mode to select which vents are open. Your previously set temp will still be in effect. If you want pure ambient vent, you should set temps to 65 before hitting off.

This is one of my biggest issues. Hitting off and not being about to change the vent settings without turning on the systen is screwed up. Turning the temp knobs with the system in the off mode should still allow you to change the vent settings. Maybe the settings you used in the morning isn't the same you would use going home after work? So you have to turn on the system and jump through a few button presses just to turn the temp up or down. This is where you would experience the compressors kicking on briefly before pressing the AC button to turn it off. What about wanting a temp below 66? Can't do it! Screwed up, period.

Since about 1998, almost every manufacturer has been running/cycling AC full time with their auto climate control systems. I remember when my friend's Explorer did it back in 1997 or so. It's not a big deal, since the compressors are built for it. And, having them run prevents them from seizing up during winter months. Plus, if you read the HVAC sticky, you'd learn that the light means AC can run, not that it has to be running.

A compressor coming on for 2 or 3 seconds and then shutting off is hard on compressors. If you leave it in auto, this is less of a problem. If you like to swtich between auto and "manual" modes, this IS a problem. Think about starting and stopping your engine in that short period of time. Excessive wear.

AC should definitely come on with the feet/defog mode. If you want any sort of window defogging, then you definitely want AC on. If you're not trying to defog the windows, then you should not even be using that mode.

Why do you assume floor/windshield mode would always be used for defog? I like having it venting floor/windshield in the winter. I don't like hot, dry air being blow towards my face. Plus floor/windshield provides more equal heating.

While I agree the Subaru auto climate control system is far from perfect, people who fight and/or second guess the system without really understanding it is even worse.

I know how to use the system according to the manual and all the various work arounds. That still doesn't make it acceptable. I should never have to read a forum post on how to use an auto climate control workaround on a 30K+ vehicle!

Yeah, yeah...this has been hashed over a zillion times, but your quotes c_hunter really pissed me off. Your opinions aren't everyone elses opinions, don't forget that. :mad:

-S

Well, let me forge a middle of the road path by noting that the absolute best climate control system I have experienced is in my Honda S2K. It's completely manual (except that AC comes on with defrost by default) and only has three primary controls: a knob for temp (blue to red), a knob for mode (one of which trickles air through all the vents -- floor, dash, windshield), and a toggle paddle for fan speed. There are also buttons for recirc and AC. These controls are near the driver's fingertips next to the steering wheel and extraordinarily simple and low tech, but the system works wonderfully. I think all manufacturers should study this level of simplicity.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/banners/2006/s2000/interior_gallery/large10.jpg

Between me and my wife, we have had auto systems in an 02 Outback LLB, an 03 Forester XS, an 05 Outback XT, and an 04 Acura TSX (last two are current vehicles). I can tell you that none of these auto systems works as well as a simple manual system. The Acura system is the least confusing to use, but it also is the least informative. In auto, only the temp is shown, and you get no indication of the vent modes, the fan speed, AC on/off, etc (until you start fiddling and get into semi-manual mode). But I think that's a plus. We tend to control the system by varying temp only, and it works OK that way.

In the Acura, AC runs all the time, and it doesn't bother my wife at all because she doesn't know -- there is no default "AC" indicator (if you happen to get into manual mode and press the AC button, an "AC off" indicator lights up). It also switches vent modes all over the place, and varies fan speed up/down without showing anything on the indicator. However, in the Outback, she sees the AC light on and always turns AC off because it's winter and it just doesn't make sense to her. And if the fan speed gets high or the vent mode does something she doesn't like, she overrides it and eventually gets into semi-manual mode. And this is what makes me think many problems with auto climate control are due to the interface and the way in which it is displayed to the user. For every complaint I see here about AC running in the winter or in a defog mode in Subarus, I think about the many more people in Acuras who are driving around the same way, with AC on all the time, but just don't know it and don't complain.

An associated side effect is that the Outback fogs up a lot when my wife drives it, because she has shut AC off. Because it's running in the background full time in the Acura, we never experience fogged windows (nor do I when driving the Subaru and leaving AC on and alone).

All auto climate control systems I know of are meant to be controlled by temperature only. If you can do that, and not second guess or fight the other associated settings, then you'll be in fat, dumb, happy bliss. Unfortunately, that is a small population when it comes to Subaru's implementation and interface, but I'd wager it's probably a majority of people in Acuras where temp is the only indicator in auto. So my main point is that if you can live with a temperature only authority in your life and not get bothered by all the other indicators on the dash, auto climate control will probably be fine. If you want total control and want to personally decide settings like AC, vent, fan speed, etc, then you should buy a car with manual controls. Auto climate systems are painfully cumbersome and complex if you really desire full manual control. Like I said, the manual system in the S2K is great, and I can get perfect custom settings with minimum fuss.

So in summary:

Auto climate control = better for fat, dumb, happy situations where you just want to set temperature and don't give a crap about the rest. In this regime, the less info presented by the system, the better

Manual climate control = the only option if you want total control with an efficient user interface

Anybody who falls in between these camps would just be better off with a manual system.

Craig

I will agree... I found that of all the cars ive had with manual ac vs automatic i would take the manual ac every time. I suppose its the manual transmission freak in me.. more control over the car = good.. i mean when i found out i could easily add an aftermarket stereo if i had manual controls i seriously started looking to see if i could retrofit a manual a/c setup into my car.

I think that I would have to say however of all the automatic climate controls ive had that this has to be the worst. I find myself fiddling with this control set more then any 'auto' ive ever had. I mean its pretty sad to say that auto climate control in my old 1990 fleetwood worked better. And the whole concept of a dual zone where you have to always turn both knobs is moronic.

Seriously if it wasnt a re-sale issue and what looks to be a nightmare of a project I would be retrofitting manual ac controls on my car right now :)

Awesome post Craig.

I think a lot of the interface problems you mentioned regarding the auto climate controls is due to the fact that some mechanical or electrical engineer is designing the electornics, vent damper functions, etc. and not on the actual human interface design. I guess that is why there are people who have jobs just in human factors and design. A lot has to do with human perception. A human sees the AC light, they think cold and think a less fuel efficient engine, regardless if the AC compressor is actually running or not (this is what I thought before reading the forums).

Auto climate control systems should also include a fully functional and documented manual system. Give the driver the option. I would say making 3 or 4 changes to the subaru system (mainly interface as you mentioned) would solve 90% of all the issues seen on these forums.

Here is what I was thinking (all personal here) to make me happier:

1. Pressing the AC button should change the indicator light to "AC Off" or "AC On" and be preserved until changed by a human. If a defrost mode is turned on (see #3 below), override the AC mode until defrost is turned off again.

2. With the system Off, the temp knobs should still function. Turn the knob slightly and the temp indicator will come on. Once you set the associated temp value (which changes the vent damper position) and stop turning the knob, the light would go back out. Switch the system back on, it takes over the vent damper positions based on temp...

3. Full defrost or windshield/floor defog modes should be seperate modes and should not be part of the various modes when pressing the "Mode" button. Have a seperate defrost mode button that cycles between full and windshield/floor. These modes would override any AC setting set by a human to provide optimum defog.

-S

Anytime you have automatic anything in a car its going to frustrate some people because not everyone wants that system to operate the same way. I totally avoid the automatic HVAC mode, it drives me crazy. Even using it manually its frustrating at times. Main gripe in winter - start out spinning both dials to 85 and hitting off til the temp guage starts to rise. Turn on fan and increase speed as the temp guage continues to rise. As I start to get warm I start turning down the temp dials and at some point I glance down and the A/C light is lit??? It might be 10 degrees outside but my car thinks I should be cooled off???

Do a search n00b?

Who bumped the first thread?

This has been discussed ad nauseum, and it does always seem that those who complain the most are the ones who understand the system the least. The whole point of the system being automatic is that you don't have to fiddle with it often. PLEASE read the sticky regarding how the system works, as this should show you that if you just didn't turn the system off before you turned off the car, you probably wouldn't have to fiddle with the system EVER!

The other thing that blows my mind is that so many people seem to think that if you set it one way, you won't ever have to adjust it ever! In all the cars I've owned, I've been constantly adjusting the temp in every car with Manual controls for HVAC settings. And finally ... it CAN be used as a manual system if you just take the time to learn what the buttons do. Not hard at all. Yes, you do have to learn a sequence, but it's not that hard.

I too have figured out how to implement the workarounds, long before your post. I can also voice my opinion about how horrible the system really is. You can't convience me the system works well. I would say it is acceptable at best. You shouldn't have to read some forum post to figure out how best to use the system! :rolleyes:

This is one of my biggest issues. Hitting off and not being about to change the vent settings without turning on the systen is screwed up. Turning the temp knobs with the system in the off mode should still allow you to change the vent settings. Maybe the settings you used in the morning isn't the same you would use going home after work? So you have to turn on the system and jump through a few button presses just to turn the temp up or down. This is where you would experience the compressors kicking on briefly before pressing the AC button to turn it off. What about wanting a temp below 66? Can't do it! Screwed up, period.

A compressor coming on for 2 or 3 seconds and then shutting off is hard on compressors. If you leave it in auto, this is less of a problem. If you like to swtich between auto and "manual" modes, this IS a problem. Think about starting and stopping your engine in that short period of time. Excessive wear.

Why do you assume floor/windshield mode would always be used for defog? I like having it venting floor/windshield in the winter. I don't like hot, dry air being blow towards my face. Plus floor/windshield provides more equal heating.

I know how to use the system according to the manual and all the various work arounds. That still doesn't make it acceptable. I should never have to read a forum post on how to use an auto climate control workaround on a 30K+ vehicle!

Yeah, yeah...this has been hashed over a zillion times, but your quotes c_hunter really pissed me off. Your opinions aren't everyone elses opinions, don't forget that. :mad:

-S

Neither are yours...take your lumps your points were made now move on...unbelievable!

What do yo udo when your windows fog up?

X

Heat full force on windshield -- it has the same effect as AC -- it reduces relative humidity in the air blown on the window (AC removes absolute humidity from the air while heating has lower relative humidity due to increased temperature of the air while keeping the absolute humidity at the same level -- physics...).

Archived