LegacyGT.com

Yet another squeal issue

renfrey

So I've always had squeals of some sort or another coming from my car. Mostly in the winter too. Most of the past squeals were fixed (replacing/tightening various belts, etc.). However, now I have a squeal that has appeared a couple of months ago (in the summer), and is progressively getting worse. Mind you, it is getting a lot colder.

This time I can't track it down. It only occurs when started from cold, and until the engine has warmed up. Pushing the clutch in usually causes it to go away. Sometimes (maybe more often and I just don't hear it), there is a slight hiss when the clutch is pushed.

The sound is identical to the one here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/intense-squeal-cold-05-gt-5mt-177345.html , with one exception, I do not get any of that "singing" squeal like when he presses the clutch.

My ride is an '05 LGT at stage 2, 130k miles, original clutch/flywheel/etc.

Any help?

Yeah, it's one of those things that once you start to hear, you then start to focus on. Then you start looking it up, and the sound becomes just about the only thing you hear in the car. I am at the point now where I can have the family in the car, jabering away, and yet I am un-intentionally focussing on if I can hear that noise!!!:spin:

So to add to my description (and my OCD of the noise), and after watching the clutch replacement video, I do notice that the majority of the time when I press the clutch in, there is that hissing noise. In the clutch replacement video, he described the noise as almost like metal rubbing, but very quiet. Plus, after seeing and hearing the actual TOB in his vid, I am really feeling that it's the TOB in my case as well.

However.....since I have had no experience with a dieing TOB, I am still curious as to what others think? I don't particularly want to rip out the clutch, only to find that its not the problem.

With that many miles on the OEM clutch, I can almost guaranty it's the TOB going out. You're only weeks or days before the TOB blows up and causes damage to your transmission input shaft (snout). Recommend fixing it ASAP.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived