LegacyGT.com

Driving with vdc off

Does anyone drive with the vdc off on a regular basis.Recently i have been informed of some advantages to turning it off,but i have never tried do to not fully understanding how the whole system works besides that the car can individually brake wheels to manipulate traction and handling.Your input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't die...

You do need to be more careful though when driving without it. Most people don't realize how much VDC does sometimes.

Although I have always driven subies that don't have VDC so I will just say this, know your limits, and don't go past them and your cars. I have always gone by this and I haven't gotten a ticket/crashed yet!

I think it is good to see how your car reacts with out certain safety checks on, it always insures you will know how to react to a situation.

Still expecting the community to be nice and provide an answer after being a douche?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118250

VDC off will not damage the drivetrain. Having said that, you also don't really have a reason to have it off in the first place. If you look in your owner's manual, it does a fairly good job at explaining what it is, how it works, etc. In short, it is a layer of electronics control that helps with the traction and stability of the vehicle.

Normally, on a RWD or FWD car you would turn off VDC or traction controll if you wanted to "smoke a f00 in a Civic at a stoplight", as you seem inclined to do. That's because should your tires break loose, VDC/trac would kick in and cut gas. You would bog down and said ricer would pwn your ass and make you look like a fool.

This is not an issue on awd, because in order to kick the tires loose you need:

a) a great amount of power, which your stock Spec.B does not put out enough of

b) some insanely bald tires

c) bad road conditions

Hence, leave it on and just practice your launch technique. The BEST way to get the car to bog and break shit is to rev up to 5K and then dump the clutch. What you want to do is lift the foot off the clutch as if you just stepped in gum on a hot summer day or dog shit. Relatively slow. Not too slow but not too fast. Takes practice.

When you pop the clutch on a rwd or fwd, that engine torque goes somewhere and it is usually in the form of a tire squeal. With awd, that force goes right back into the tranny and drive shafts. Pop the clutch just right and something else will pop in exchange.

You seem to be complaining about clutch performance more than anything in the other thread. You may wanna look at an aftermarket clutch and flywheel.

I think the little button with the symbol of a car with skid marks behind it turns off the traction control, which is different from VDC. The VDC is the knob on the center console. If you don't have this knob, then you don't have a VDC to fiddle with, nor do you have traction control so don't worry about it. Both features were added to the car in 2007. The VDC system controls the center differential electronically, on previous years this was done automatically via mechanical means. The VDC system controls which end of the car gets more of the torque and horsepower (the front or the back end of the car).

It's perfectly fine to drive a car without VDC and traction control. I've driven cars with out traction control for years, and for years people didn't even have these options on their cars. Instead you had Limited slip differentials which functioned as a sort of mechanical traction control. I've noticed that the cars with the best traction response were cars with all wheel drive with limited slip differentials front and rear, and traction control with a VDC. Seccond place on that list goes to cars with all wheel drive and limited slip differentials front and rear.

The only problem with traction control is that traditionally it is done through sensors measuring rotation on each individual wheel, this data is collected and then sent to a computer in the car which uses the ABS system (traditionally ABS is required to have traction control) to apply the brakes to the wheels individually in order to maintain the same number of revolutions per minute on each wheel. So long story short, traction control is managed through the brakes, and that can hurt gas mileage and acceleration... Because of this I actually like my 2006 Legacy, because although it gets a good traction response, it doesn't do it through traction control.

Were cars any more dangerous before traction control? Sure, but most of those cars were built in America before the late 1970's and were also unsafe for a number of other reasons (such as not having seat belts, having metal dashboards, no airbags, fuel tanks behind the rear axle, etc), and that doesn't mean that all cars need traction control to be safe. The only time that I've noticed this feature affecting driving is while taking large curves in my mother's V6 Cadillac SRX at highway speed. That car only has traction control (it actually doesn't even have a limited slip differential and is rear wheel drive, and it probably needs an LSD because it fishtails all over the place all the time in the rain), and the only difference that I have noticed has been that it handles a little flatter in the corners when it is turned on.

The only cars that can have VDC are symmetrical all wheel drive cars like the ones that Subaru makes. After that almost no other cars have this feature. The only cars that really need traction control in my opinion are vans, SUV's and trucks, due to their top heavy nature. On all other cars it is a nice safety feature, but not really a necessity if you ask me.

It is just another really good safety feature that Subaru's have. Trust me it is so nice during the winter to not have to worry about it too much. Then when you want to have fun, turn it off and scoot that back end out! ;)

Ahh you guys beat me to it!

i drive with VDC off all the time, but i have an 05 ;)

HA!

Having VDC on all the time (except in certain conditions like at the track or in cases where you need to unstick a vehicle) is like having an extra free insurance for your car on a day to day basis.

If you knew what good it did for you and still disable it; then you're just an idiot.

I have the squiggly button ,differential control, but no vdc in control in the car.The worst time the vdc gave me was when i was trying to pull out of my driveway in the snow i had the throttle to the floor but the engine wouldn't rev at all!So i got in my 98 and pulled right out with tires that were'nt any better.Sometimes the wheels need to spin so they can dig,not like mudbogging but just a little to gain traction.So i hope subaru makes an aftermarket controller for the 08' spec b.

Post Sript,I ordered the sprint booster even though i don't have the money for it.Don't worry i'll bail myself out.I'll let you all know how it does,the drive by wire delay is so retarded i think it was a consiracy by automanufaturers so we would by a product to fix it that they have stock in.Think about it.

I have the squiggly button ,differential control, but no vdc in control in the car.The worst time the vdc gave me was when i was trying to pull out of my driveway in the snow i had the throttle to the floor but the engine wouldn't rev at all!So i got in my 98 and pulled right out with tires that were'nt any better.Sometimes the wheels need to spin so they can dig,not like mudbogging but just a little to gain traction.So i hope subaru makes an aftermarket controller for the 08' spec b.

Post Sript,I ordered the sprint booster even though i don't have the money for it.Don't worry i'll bail myself out.I'll let you all know how it does,the drive by wire delay is so retarded i think it was a consiracy by automanufaturers so we would by a product to fix it that they have stock in.Think about it.

:lol: You're funny....

The Spec.B DOES NOT have differential control. DCCD is in the STi only.

You have VDC in the Spec.B. The reason you had your foot to the floor and weren't moving is because the VDC was stopping wheel spin. All you had to do was push the VDC button by your knee and you would have been fine.

DBW isn't a consPiracy, it's new electronic technology. You probably just wasted your money on the "spring booster," but that's your call. You sound like you don't know much about your vehicle at all.

Like RSJ... said turn off the VDC by you left knee under the dimmer light control and put the car in S mode. And youll get out just fine.

The only time that I've noticed this feature affecting driving is while taking large curves in my mother's V6 Cadillac SRX at highway speed. That car only has traction control (it actually doesn't even have a limited slip differential and is rear wheel drive, and it probably needs an LSD because it fishtails all over the place all the time in the rain), and the only difference that I have noticed has been that it handles a little flatter in the corners when it is turned on.

Actually that car does have and LSD. GM calls it posi-traction. My S10 Blazer had it too then my diff went so i had to get it rebuilt and my mechs did it will standard parts so i lost my posi-traction. With the posi-traction i i would slide (big heavy car with alot of torque) but i can control my slides, w/o it i could the car will only slide in one direction. opposite the spinning wheel which was scarry and i almost crashed a few times.

I think the little button with the symbol of a car with skid marks behind it turns off the traction control, which is different from VDC. The VDC is the knob on the center console. If you don't have this knob, then you don't have a VDC to fiddle with, nor do you have traction control so don't worry about it. Both features were added to the car in 2007. The VDC system controls the center differential electronically, on previous years this was done automatically via mechanical means. The VDC system controls which end of the car gets more of the torque and horsepower (the front or the back end of the car).

Wow, you really shouldn't have replied. I thought you were joking around about the info you were stating.

There is only 1 button for the VDC and it's on the lower left hand side of the dash.

VDC is composed of 2 main systems: VTD plus VDC full time 4 wheel traction and engine management.

+ VDC is traction control that senses vehicle direction and uses brake, throttle and engine management to help maintain stability.

+ The components of the VDC system are:

# all wheel drive using the VTD system (see above).

# When the wheels are spinning without traction or the vehicle is not going in the direction it is being steered, the VDC system kicks in.

* Direction: uses brakes to slow down wheels to reduce spin and help control vehicle direction.

* Skidding: yaw and steering wheel sensors use brakes to slow down spinning wheels and re-direct power to the wheel(s) with the best traction to re-gain control.

* Engine power use engine output to slow spinning by reducing spark to cylinders to cut back power and help re-gain control.

It's perfectly fine to drive a car without VDC and traction control. I've driven cars with out traction control for years, and for years people didn't even have these options on their cars. Instead you had Limited slip differentials which functioned as a sort of mechanical traction control. I've noticed that the cars with the best traction response were cars with all wheel drive with limited slip differentials front and rear, and traction control with a VDC. Seccond place on that list goes to cars with all wheel drive and limited slip differentials front and rear.

The only problem with traction control is that traditionally it is done through sensors measuring rotation on each individual wheel, this data is collected and then sent to a computer in the car which uses the ABS system (traditionally ABS is required to have traction control) to apply the brakes to the wheels individually in order to maintain the same number of revolutions per minute on each wheel. So long story short, traction control is managed through the brakes, and that can hurt gas mileage and acceleration... Because of this I actually like my 2006 Legacy, because although it gets a good traction response, it doesn't do it through traction control.

Were cars any more dangerous before traction control? Sure, but most of those cars were built in America before the late 1970's and were also unsafe for a number of other reasons (such as not having seat belts, having metal dashboards, no airbags, fuel tanks behind the rear axle, etc), and that doesn't mean that all cars need traction control to be safe. The only time that I've noticed this feature affecting driving is while taking large curves in my mother's V6 Cadillac SRX at highway speed. That car only has traction control (it actually doesn't even have a limited slip differential and is rear wheel drive, and it probably needs an LSD because it fishtails all over the place all the time in the rain), and the only difference that I have noticed has been that it handles a little flatter in the corners when it is turned on.

The only cars that can have VDC are symmetrical all wheel drive cars like the ones that Subaru makes. After that almost no other cars have this feature. The only cars that really need traction control in my opinion are vans, SUV's and trucks, due to their top heavy nature. On all other cars it is a nice safety feature, but not really a necessity if you ask me.

WWOOOWWWW.... are you serious? I think there is an inaccuracy in every sentence you wrote. I was hoping this was a joke, but it doesn't look that way.

Archived