LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

If the GS ends up costing $900 for a IC and splitter I'll pay that all day long if it can put down quantifiable, better numbers than my Perrin does. I'll never go front mount and the car sees only track time now so I'll take as big as I can get :)

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Isn't that the whole point of the 08+WRX/LGT fitment (intake manifold)? GS seems to have made it pretty clear that they intend for it to work with the sti, as well as 08wrx/lgt flange compressor outlets, much like the process west by switching silicone hoses.

• I Donated Too
Will there be an option for the guys who are running an STI style turbo but the LGT/WRX composite intake manifold?

Yes, you'll just have a different hose on the turbo side, same as the process west solution for this hybrid setup

I agree the Perrin is bigger than OEM depth wise... just not that much different than OEM in other aspects, which was part of their design - to use the factory splitter along with the engine cover (they have the tabs with the holes for the pop its).

I still don't see why someone would want to have a much larger core (like the one GS is designing), and not spread the flow of fresh air over as much of the fins as possible while driving to cool. You mention bigger changes from couplers and heat isolation. I say why not do it all ;) I use a GS heat shield, lined with DEI reflect a gold, and a PTP turbo blanket, and my PW has a silicone coupler from turbo to inlet.

I also agree that the design needs a new splitter design to take advantage of the larger core. The Perrin TMIC and OEM TMIC have almost the same face area in order to use the stock hood scoop splitter. Mostly, the Perrin (and other similar TMIC's) are deeper, have larger charge-side air passages, and have larger side plenums.

IMG_2562.thumb.JPG.b47a60c47b96de756aa250d6b4d4dc30.JPG

I was looking at the stock splitter and noticed that there is a little area directly over the turbo that I assume is for direct cooling of the turbo from the hood scoop. Since the Grimmspeed core will be stretched to lay, at least partially, above the turbo, I wonder if the new splitter design will have to do away with this cooling or if it will still be able to direct some air down into the turbo area?

IMG_2763.thumb.jpg.70f0707afb43503a1433c3d1ecc0dc5f.jpg

IMG_2560.thumb.JPG.089d3b16f430f1f5f7b0effec5b850a6.JPG

I think the GS unit will likely be the full width of the splitter, meaning that the whole section in the red box above will be directly over the IC. You can only do so much with the space available.

I'm really excited to see what GS comes up with and what results people can get out of it, but at the end of the day I'm concerned with how small our actual hood scoop is compared to the STI/WRX. It seems like that's the ultimate limiting factor.

Embarrassing that even with my small hands I can't fit it though the hole, unlike the wrx/sti, even the older ones.

I installed an HKS scoop on my OBXT. It has a slightly expanded opening. I'm sure it has negligible gains, if any, but it 'couldn't hoit'

And another:

Hey guys, we're still working on this. Truthfully, things have gotten so crazy over here that we're working very carefully to time production so that we have the welding man hours to get these cranked out as quickly as we can. My production verification cores should be ready in a week or two so that we can do some final testing and get these bad boys rolling.

I am well aware that we're running behind schedule and I really feel badly about it. I know a lot of you are waiting on this as part of your build and we're doing everything we can to get these on the shelves, but as I've said before, we also don't cut corners. What I won't do is lead you guys on. Being that we don't have our own foundry (nobody does), there are parts of this process that are, unfortunately, a bit out of my control and since we're manufacturing domestically, it's not as simple as just 'ordering more intercoolers'. With that said, I've got another meeting with the foundry on Friday and I'll see what I can do about sneaking you guys some pictures of the place. It's pretty badass.

Matt Beenen

Engineering

That was my point, and why they are designing the 08+WRX/LGT fitment, because it is different from the STI manifold.

I must have missed where it said the STI version was also in development. Yes, the 08+WRX/LGT has the same manifold. I still have the LGT manifold. I do not however have a turbo with a flange like the LGT/WRX. Mine shoots out to the side, like the STI, but requires an extra hose that Process West sells ($98 or so at Rallysport).

Since the PW TMIC is no longer offered in the US, this TMIC is pretty much my only feasible option, unless I do decide to go with an air/water intercooler setup, which I am still not completely sold on.

I think the GS unit will likely be the full width of the splitter, meaning that the whole section in the red box above will be directly over the IC. You can only do so much with the space available.

I'm really excited to see what GS comes up with and what results people can get out of it, but at the end of the day I'm concerned with how small our actual hood scoop is compared to the STI/WRX. It seems like that's the ultimate limiting factor.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. Perhaps there needs to be a side by side comparison between IAT's between the LGT and the WRX to see if there's a difference?

The only thing I can think why Subaru would make such a tiny scoop on the LGT is that for some reason, the LGT's hood is more aerodynamic than the WRX and doesn't require a bigger scoop to get more airflow? Like maybe it's just more laminar and not turbulent like the WRX? (Only guessing).

Hey guys, I came in yesterday to give you guys the same update but it looks like NYX beat me to it! Things are still moving along and I'll do my best to keep you guys updated! Fighting very hard to make the best possible intercooler for you all but still at a great price point. One without the other is a piece of cake, but that's not our style!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. Perhaps there needs to be a side by side comparison between IAT's between the LGT and the WRX to see if there's a difference?

The only thing I can think why Subaru would make such a tiny scoop on the LGT is that for some reason, the LGT's hood is more aerodynamic than the WRX and doesn't require a bigger scoop to get more airflow? Like maybe it's just more laminar and not turbulent like the WRX? (Only guessing).

A long, long time ago, in a...wait, no... I was reading that the WRX/STI had issues with getting enough air flow over the intercooler at autobahn speeds, hence the bigger scoop, where the Legacy did not have those issues. Once again, just something I read on the internet, so who knows of it's validity, but I do think you/they/Subaru was on to something.

Interesting thread regarding the hood scoop size and laminar flow boundary layer, especially from post #106 onward:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hood-scoop-performance-28971p8.html?highlight=hood+flow+string

Wish someone had done this at higher speeds to see if the theory holds true. There is also a cool video in post #120

what are the prices we should be expecting?

based on what i know right now, you should expect pricing to be in line with the 02-07 tmic that we produce. The catch is that new silicone couplers and clamps will be required and the splitter will be strongly recommended. Those items are optional with the 02-07, which makes it appear less expensive.

Hope that helps! Sorry i don't have a more definite number for you, but until we're finished with production and know exactly what's required, it wouldn't be fair to price the finished product.

Matt beenen

engineering

:) :) :)