LegacyGT.com

Foglight DRL mod: Make your fogs work as DRLs

There are 2 versions of this mod.

1) Easy -1 relay

2) Little more difficult - 2 relays. Mimicks factory system

MAKE SURE YOU USE SPDT RELAY

http://www.the12volt.com/images/boschrelays.jpg SPDT Relay : (Single Pole Double Throw Relay) an electromagnetic switch, consist of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common terminal (30), 1 normally closed terminal (87a), and one normally open terminal (87).

When the coil of the relay is at rest (not energized), the common terminal (30) and the normally closed terminal (87a) have continuity. When the coil is energized, the common terminal (30) and the normally open terminal (87) have continuity.

The diagram below center shows the relay at rest, with the coil not energized. The diagram below right shows the relay with the coil energized. As you can see the coil is an electromagnet that causes the arm that is always connected to the common (30) to pivot when energized whereby contact is broken from the normally closed terminal (87a) and made with the normally open terminal (87).

http://www.the12volt.com/images/relaytextA.gifhttp://www.the12volt.com/images/relaytext2.gifhttp://www.the12volt.com/images/relaytext3.gif

1.) Easy

Makes your foglights work as DRL's. When Low or High beams are turned on, the fogs turn off. You are still able to turn them on with the fog light switch. The DRL's come on as soon as the key is in the IGN position.

2.) Little more difficult.

This one uses 2 relays. Works just like above except the fogs (working as DRL's) come on the same way as factory. You have to have the engine running and the parking brake down to turn on the DRL's.

Honestly, it's just as easy to use 2 relays. Wiring is roughly in the same area. I have Option 2 working on my car.

All of the connection are made behind the relay holder under the dash.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/IMG_1507.jpg

Remove the bottom black panel, There are 2 black plastic screws with snaps. 1/4 turn the black screws and pull out the snaps. Then just pull on the black panel and the middle snap will come out. Release the small latch on the diagnostics connector and remove the panel. Remove the the trim below the steering wheel. There is a black screw in the bottom right corner. Remove that. Then pull on the other corners to release the metal tabs. Remove the 3 connectors from the mirror control etc. Remove the underlying metal plate which is held in with two 10mm bolts. There are two clips holding the relay panel to the fuse panel. Press them in and slide the relay panel towards you and separate it from the fuse panel. This will allow you to access the wiring behind it.

EASY (1 relay)

You will be cutting 1 wire and tapping to other wires. All of the wires are located behind the 2 bottom relays. Here is the wires you have to connect:

1. Disconnect the white plug from the DRL module (search on where this is)

2. CUT the Blue/White (Blue with white stripe) wire. Connect the end coming out of the relay holder to the thinner Green/Blue wire behind the relay that's next to it. Don't cut the Green/Blue wire just use the self tapping connector to attach the Blue/White wire to the Green/Blue wire. Put some electrical tape on the Blue/White wire that's coming from the wiring loom.

3. Connect the wire from relay terminal 86 to the Green/Blue wire you tapped to in the step above. Yes, there wil be 2 wires tapped into the Green/Blue wire

4. Connect the wire from relay terminal 85 to the Orange/White wire (same general location as above)

5. Connect the wire from relay terminal 87A to the Black wire (same general location as above)

6. Connect the wire from relay terminal 30 to the Purple/Blue wire (same general location as above). You can put a 1N4005 diode with the white stripe side facing towards the 30 terminal.

That's it! You have fogs on as DRL's whenever the IGN is on but the fogs will turn off when the low/high beams come on. You can still turn the fogs on/off manually whenever you like (as long as the IGN is on)

DIAGRAM FOR THE EASY 1 RELAY OPTION

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/FOG-DRL.jpg

LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT (2 relays)

1. Disconnect the white plug from the DRL module (search on where this is)

2. CUT the Blue/White (Blue with white stripe) wire. Connect the end coming out of the relay holder to the thinner Green/Blue wire behind the relay that's next to it. Don't cut the Green/Blue wire just use the self tapping connector to attach the Blue/White wire to the Green/Blue wire. Put some electrical tape on the Blue/White wire that's coming from the wiring loom.

3. Connect the wire from relay terminal 86 to the Green/Blue wire you tapped to in the step above. Yes, there wil be 2 wires tapped into the Green/Blue wire. Also, you will need to attach the wire from the second relay, terminal 86 to the Green/Blue wire

4. Connect the wire from relay terminal 85 on the first relay to the Orange/White wire (same general location as above)

5. Connect the wire from relay terminal 87A on the first relay to the terminal 30 on the second relay

6. Connect the wire from relay terminal 30 on the first relay to the Purple/Blue wire (same general location as above). You can put a 1N4005 diode with the white stripe side facing towards the 30 terminal.

7. Connect the wire from relay terminal 87A on the second relay to the Black wire (same general location as above)

8. Connect the wire from relay terminal 85 on the second relay to the Grey wire on the black plug coming out of the DRL module

Works just like above except the fogs (working as DRL's) come on the same way as factory. You have to have the engine running and the parking brake down to turn on the DRL's.

DIAGRAM FOR THE LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT 2 RELAY OPTION

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/FOG-DRL-HIGH-LOW.jpg

Enjoy! and save those HIDs!

2)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kinda hard taking pics under there. Here is a couple.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/IMG_1506.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/IMG_1507-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/IMG_1508.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/zuczek/IMG_1509.jpg

In this picture only the fogs are on. The low beam is the reflection from the flash

I meant of the finished product, not step by step :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Has anyone else tried my mod? It's been running fine here for a couple of months now.

All set to do this mod (2 relays) over the weekend. My relay sockets have wires about a foot long...is that OK for this? I have no idea until it's all taken apart and want to do this all in one go. Hopefully there's enough room in that general area; already have the Retained Accessory Power mod done --- getting pretty cluttered down there! :)

My relay sockets have wires about a foot long...is that OK for this? I have no idea until it's all taken apart and want to do this all in one go.

not sure what you're getting at. If they're too long, cut or coil up the excess. If they're too short, extend them with a similar gauge wire. Either way shouldn't prohibit you from knocking it out in one go.

ignore him, he'll go away.

not sure what you're getting at. If they're too long, cut or coil up the excess. If they're too short, extend them with a similar gauge wire. Either way shouldn't prohibit you from knocking it out in one go.

dunno about you, but I'm not keen on a hodge-podge of spliced/extended wires...just thought I'd ask from somebody who's done it before.

And yeah, I figured out what to do if they're too long...thanks for your help.

I have a bit of a question. In my '08 the high beam is the DRL, not the low beam (projector) as in the 05-07. Would simply using the wire from the high beam instead of the low beam be the solution or could it be possibly more difficult?

dunno about you, but I'm not keen on a hodge-podge of spliced/extended wires...

nothing hodge podge about proper wiring color codes, soldier, and shrink wrap. Sometimes I forget my methods are not necessarily the norm for others. Hope it goes well. Something I've been meaning to do, but larger projects keep taking priorty.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I seriously doubt subaru or any car manufacturer would put high beams as the DRL.

Well first off, the low beam is housed in the projector.. and the DRL is the light besides the projector.. so it IS the high beam. And secondly, DRL's do not run at 55watts, it's 35watts if I remember correctly. So it will not cause excessive glare, especially during the day.

Something I've been meaning to do, but larger projects keep taking priorty.

You and me both...can't ever seem to find the time to install my hood dampers, rear 12V socket, or to back up my AP with openECU. Got a set of Endless SS-M pads on the way, but that's pretty easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally installed this mod today; everything was as described. Stupid me chose a hot and humid afternoon. Only minor issue was that my relay sockets had larger gauge wiring than did the car's harness. I used red (18-22g) tap connectors and forced the larger relay socket wires into position.

All installed, ready to test --- but it didn't appear to work. Checked all connections...still didn't work. Only then I realized that the fog lights will only come on with the engine actually started (and the parking brake off of course).

Thanks zuczek for a great mod! Now I'm ready to install my HIDs.

Finally installed this mod today; everything was as described. Stupid me chose a hot and humid afternoon. Only minor issue was that my relay sockets had larger gauge wiring than did the car's harness. I used red (18-22g) tap connectors and forced the larger relay socket wires into position.

All installed, ready to test --- but it didn't appear to work. Checked all connections...still didn't work. Only then I realized that the fog lights will only come on with the engine actually started (and the parking brake off of course).

Thanks zuczek for a great mod! Now I'm ready to install my HIDs.

Enjoy... Mine had been working for 8 months or so and still on the original fog light bulbs.

• 1 month later...
I have a bit of a question. In my '08 the high beam is the DRL, not the low beam (projector) as in the 05-07. Would simply using the wire from the high beam instead of the low beam be the solution or could it be possibly more difficult?

I think you mean your DRL Lights(Non HID) are on which is just a regular halogen bulb. Does the 08's have HID?

• 4 weeks later...

Too bad fog light based DRLs are illegal in the USA. Here is an excerpt from the federal regulations:

"S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car,

multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required

by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to

be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the

vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs)......"

Archived