LegacyGT.com

New here introducing my subie and questions

Hello i am new to the forums and this is my first subie she is a 1995 subaru legacy L she has 251000 miles on her and still running strong, i recently had the passenger wheel bearing replaced, got a full tune up, transmission service and new muffler and exhaust pipping. even with the wheel bearing issue i drove her for a while and she never gave me a issue. but i do have one concern that im hoping you guys can share your expertise on.

i recently scanned a engine check light and the only thing that came up was the knock sensor. how important is the knock sensor and can it have a big impact on my car if not fixed right away?

Also as i said my car drives fine with no issues but when she is idle at times she seems sputtery and jumpy like she may want to shut off but she never has. during the tune up sparks plugs and wires were changed and this issue still remains. what could it be? can it be related to the knock sensor.

Thanks in advance guys! :cool:

Knock sensor is pretty important as well as really easy to replace..a bad knock sensor can make the motor detonate or misfire, good to take care of it asap they are like 25-40 bucks and take 15 minutes to replace.

Thanks for your insight. Could this be the reason I feel that sputtering or shutting of feeling during idle? I'm not sure where to find the knock sensor I was told its under the intake

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Its located on the block on the driver side under the throttle body and has a wire connection and a #12 bolt through it to fasten to the block....

That's probably the exact reason it sputtering, its telling the ecu to correct fueling.

The OEM part from Subbie costs around 90 bucks brand new. Take your pick on which one you want I guess. Is that the installed price or just for the part?

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

I was just reading this :

Depending on the make and model of your car, replacing a knock sensor can be very expensive. It is cheaper to replace it yourself but is very time-consuming and only recommended if you have a knowledge about automobiles. Some models have the knock sensor stored inside the engine block, in which case the radiator coolant would need to be drained. The sensor must also be torqued to exact specifications or it will be too sensitive to vibration and harm engine performance or not work at all. Refer to your owner's manual for the specifics on your engine. Have any idea if the torque issue has to be done on the legacy or how to do it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Archived