LegacyGT.com

picking up bmw 328xi w nav monday

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help but feel like there's no such thing as a BMW under a 5 series. All else is a name and a status symbol. And of course I should ask how many miles the beamer has on it before I say this but it really doesn't matter; enjoy the maintenance and upkeep.

Why is this in the 4th gen Legacy subforum?

I think your goal is clear in your first sentence, you "really want a BMW brand". I suspect you mean that other people don't see your Legacy as being cooler than a Civic, and that bothers you.

Market value will tell you if that is a fair price, only you can decide if it's "worth it".

I think you need to change your screen name.

Trader....

Enjoy your new ride. Keep us updated as to weather you made the right choice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was considering the same thing before buying my GT. Mostly because it was so hard to find one.

My dad has a 328xi sedan and he loves how it drives. With the exception of the run flats of course. But he says he constantly regrets being a responsible adult and not getting the 335.

And one thing I notice is how often it seems to be in the shop.

Finally, it always amuses me when people point out the original price of a used car. If the car is being sold for 60% what it sold for 3 years ago - is it really that much of a bargain or is there a reason it lost nearly half its value that quickly?

You could get a 1998 7 series for about 5% of what it sold for new. It doesn't mean you should.

I was considering the same thing before buying my GT. Mostly because it was so hard to find one.

My dad has a 328xi sedan and he loves how it drives. With the exception of the run flats of course. But he says he constantly regrets being a responsible adult and not getting the 335.

And one thing I notice is how often it seems to be in the shop.

Finally, it always amuses me when people point out the original price of a used car. If the car is being sold for 60% what it sold for 3 years ago - is it really that much of a bargain or is there a reason it lost nearly half its value that quickly?

You could get a 1998 7 series for about 5% of what it sold for new. It doesn't mean you should.

According to carfax report, the bmw was in the shop every 6-8 months. I don't consider that very often. May be some people think. I think as long the dealer has a free loaner, it is not that bad. I hate waiting at the dealer...

• Mega Users

my buddies 335xi coupe is in the shop all the time....sure is a nice ride though. Hope you have fun with the 328. My mothers fiance has the 528xi and I think its real nice, very practical, and its never had a single thing wrong with it. For the amount of clients/people he has in and out of his car, and the amount of miles he has on it for 3 years (I think 110k in all driving conditions), the car looks outstanding. Made with real quality materials, and I think thats what really counts. I'm not sure I would go with the 3 series because those are basically the same size as a civic, too small for me.

I had a choice between going with an A4, 3 series, and a LGT (awd was a must). I'm very hard on everything I own. I keep my cars outside, drive them in snow/salt conditions. Occasionally, I'll crash into snowbanks in the winter from goofing around. I tow a ton of stuff, and probably a lot more weight than I should. I do tons of WOT pulls to the top of 4th. A fair amount of dings and dents, interior has stains all over it primary from hundreds of muddy ski boots tracking in and out. I would hate to treat an Audi/Bimmer/Benz like that. But that's why I drive a Subaru.:)

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

By default im inclined to tell you to save your money and keep the Subaru. My mom had an X5 and probably spent more on repairs than her car payment over the 2 years she had it. I've heard the 3-series is a nice car, but I don't see the appeal besides a 335 or an M3. I'd rather keep my Subaru and buy a nicer house, or put that money into an IRA... But that's just me. You're clearly set on getting your 328xi and probably won't read into half the things we "normies" (you know, because you drive a Bimmer and everybody is a peon to you now) have to say based on our observations.

Enjoy your Bimmer.

I'm very hard on everything I own. I keep my cars outside, drive them in snow/salt conditions. Occasionally, I'll crash into snowbanks in the winter from goofing around. I tow a ton of stuff, and probably a lot more weight than I should. I do tons of WOT pulls to the top of 4th. A fair amount of dings and dents, interior has stains all over it primary from hundreds of muddy ski boots tracking in and out. But that's why I drive a Subaru.:)

Uh, that's seems to be a common thread when I talk to other Okemo race team parents...Must have been all that good training you kids got...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

According to carfax report, the bmw was in the shop every 6-8 months. I don't consider that very often. May be some people think. I think as long the dealer has a free loaner, it is not that bad. I hate waiting at the dealer...

I get a free loaner too when I do a major service as well, but don't use that as one of the reasons to buy a car.....

If you like it, go for it. It doesn't matter what any one of us thinks since we don't have to make your car payment or the maintenance costs.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

By default im inclined to tell you to save your money and keep the Subaru. My mom had an X5 and probably spent more on repairs than her car payment over the 2 years she had it. I've heard the 3-series is a nice car, but I don't see the appeal besides a 335 or an M3. I'd rather keep my Subaru and buy a nicer house, or put that money into an IRA... But that's just me. You're clearly set on getting your 328xi and probably won't read into half the things we "normies" (you know, because you drive a Bimmer and everybody is a peon to you now) have to say based on our observations.

Enjoy your Bimmer.

Did you mom have M5 as new or used? All BMW cars come with 50K mile warranty and maintenance. Everything is covered...oil changes, tires, rotors, etc.

I struggling with this question everyday. Should I get rid of my 3.0R and get something else. Honestly, I love my legacy to death. It is low profile, it runs relatively fast (contrary to whatever people believe in the 3.0R), it is rare looking and it looks great. The downside is the cheap interior compared to the BMW but BMW has higher maintenance cost, higher insurance (at least for me) and it is not exactly a WHOLE lot faster than my 3.0R.

Right now, I am just going to revamp my suspension on my 3.0R and make it much sportier. That would make the legacy ride much more appealing than before.

Did you mom have M5 as new or used? All BMW cars come with 50K mile warranty and maintenance. Everything is covered...oil changes, tires, rotors, etc.

She bought it used, maybe 2 or 3 years old at the time. I know the warranty was definitely past, but it seemed the car was made of a fine China that broke whenever you looked at it the wrong way. "The BMW Experience" as my parents say, was not a cheap one. Prior to, and currently, she drove/drives an E-Class and those have been infinitely more reliable than the Bimmers. I can only remember taking those cars to the shop for routine maintenance

She bought it used, maybe 2 or 3 years old at the time. I know the warranty was definitely past, but it seemed the car was made of a fine China that broke whenever you looked at it the wrong way. "The BMW Experience" as my parents say, was not a cheap one. Prior to, and currently, she drove/drives an E-Class and those have been infinitely more reliable than the Bimmers. I can only remember taking those cars to the shop for routine maintenance

Used BMWs are out of warranty. I am getting certified which includes warranty up to 100K miles. I have difference story here.

My father in law is a BWM lover, and even he says not to own one out of warranty.

We had a 325i sport for a couple years before we traded in it on a MDX last February and while it handled awesome, the whole car was otherwise kinda sucky. Ours was a automatic, and it had no low-mid range power at all. The automatic was slow to respond in normal mode and jerky in sport mode. The radio display totally washed away with polarized glasses on, and the control layout sucked and was poorly labeled. The trim was wearing off the steering wheel and door, and there was a hole rubbed through the carpet. On a 2006 car with 40,000 miles :lol:

The windshield washer fluid constantly froze. In Charlotte :rolleyes: and the dealer told us it was because commercial fluid doesn't have enough alcohol in it, and that we needed BMW washer fluid. I couldn't even find replacement windshield wipers. On the plus side, BMW replaced them, for free. And it only took them 2 days. They did give me a brand new, pretty much every option, $50K 335i for a loaner for the weekend ;)

• Mega Users
Uh, that's seems to be a common thread when I talk to other Okemo race team parents...Must have been all that good training you kids got...

Haha, I learned early.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I have an e36 M3 (~280whp).

Mind sharing how you are at 280 whp? Unless you are FI or running some Sunbelt cams + supporting mods, I don't see how that is possible. Or do you have a S50B32 swap?

Anyways, to the OP, I don't think the switch to a 328xi is necessarily a bad one. Of course, the performance is not going to be equal, but the Bimmer is no slouch. I have come from, most recently, an 06 330xi which is fairly similar to the 328 you are considering. As far as the E9x's are concerned, I would certainly opt for one with the sport package if you can find it. IMO, the seats alone are worth the extra cost, but with an xi, you will not get a lower suspension like the i models.

With that being said, the E90 I had was also at the dealer the most out of other, older and much higher mileage BMW's (2x E30's, 3x E36 M3's all with 100K+) I previously owned. The repairs weren't typical issues either, seat occupancy sensors, steering column, washer reservoir leak, headlight failure, etc... all probably totaling $2k+, if it weren't covered under warranty. When I got rid of the car, at approximately 55k miles, it had begun to develop some valve/lifter tick, even after following the recommended "bleeding" procedures.

If I had to do it again, I definitely would, but I would probably opt for the 335 over any of the lower models. I am also a BMW fan boy so take it for what it's worth.

Archived