LegacyGT.com

had a belt fall off today...what to do...???...

I started up my car before and when I put it into reverse it made this horrible screeching sound, so immediately engine off-hood up... what do I see...???...

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=1593

I have never had this happen to one of my cars before so I am a little clueless in regards to what to do now. Can I get the belt back on somehow until I can get a replacement put on? Is that even a good idea (if it slipped once it will slip again on startup right?) are there any special tools or specs to know of before going at this...???...

TIA everyone

It looks torn. Just replace it, it's very easy.

Temporarily you may try to put it back, and adjust the tension so it doesn't slip off. Or just remove it (cut it) and don't use A/C until you get replacement.

Autozone or Napa should get you the v-belts, Gates brand preferably. rockauto.com sells them online. They are very cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to fix everything. It turns out that after I had gotten my replacement belts and installed them just to have that one slip off again and get chewed up, that I needed a new perspective on the situation. I took the belt off, went for a drive everything was fine but it still did not feel quite right. Popped the hood and checked out the crankshaft pulley and had my ah ha moment. The crankshaft pulley went bad and was moving backward into the engine forcing that belt off.

Solution:

Perrin Lightweight Pulley and another new belt for that side.

::::Fixed::::

had to take a business trip for a week got back monday, installed everything and she is running tip top now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I started up my car before and when I put it into reverse it made this horrible screeching sound, so immediately engine off-hood up... what do I see...???...

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=1593

I have never had this happen to one of my cars before so I am a little clueless in regards to what to do now. Can I get the belt back on somehow until I can get a replacement put on? Is that even a good idea (if it slipped once it will slip again on startup right?) are there any special tools or specs to know of before going at this...???...

TIA everyone

same thing just happened to me. What is that sensor that the belt is rubbing against? Mine looks pretty chewed up from the belt.

Archived