LegacyGT.com

Is my AWD bad or is this caused my unmatched tire radius?

dbur

I just replaced a tranny on a car that may have been damaged by unmatched tire wear and rolling circumference.

So now it's back on the road, though I have a problem with the AWD. The drive line binds up when cornering. I either have a bad AWD clutch in the tranny I swapped in, or the tire sizes are too far off. The fronts are 6'-3.5" rolling circumference. The rears are 6'-3.25 and 6'-4". A bit out of spec but I didn't think it would be that bad for a short distance. I guess it's parked now again until I can get some matched circumference tires to check it with, and then if it's still bad I need to do another tranny swap. :(

Would this amount of tire size mismatch cause a problem this bad? Or am I looking and finding yet another tranny for this car? I don't want to buy a new set of tires until I get this working well enough to count on for some time.

Thanks.

(I have read the threads on tire size matching)

Those tires are at the very limit of "acceptable"

What year is the trans? Is it an automatic? Could just be a bad center "diff".

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived