LegacyGT.com

Suspension too stiff

Alekss

^^^ I agree, even though I am not quite sure what you mean (rebound damping, etc.)

for a 4 door sedan, yes its hars

however, i am still to drive another one and i should , just to compare..maybe its just my car

This is how I understand it...

Too much compression damping slows how fast the springs can compress (transmitting the shock into the body of the vehicle).

Too little rebound damping allows the the suspension to return to full travel too quickly. I can't seem to wrap my head around how this would make the suspension feel too harsh even though I know it does.

Cheers!

Are the spec.B Bilsteins that different from the regular LGT dampers? My spec rides really smooth and glides over some bumps that are jarring in my other cars. Overall I find my spec to be a really comfortable ride, even a little "floaty."

If there is that much of a difference, then maybe an upgrade to the bilsteins would help the OP.

worn struts dont cause more stiffness, but just more bounciness. to be honest, im surprised anyone would call the stock lgt suspension stiff.

worn out susp parts will cause the ride to be softer and bouncy, along with clucking/popping from the worn out part.

It sounds to me like what you're describing is the lack of damping that these cars have - even when new. The stock suspension is not at all stiff, it is quite soft. When you hit a bump or pothole the stock shocks struggle to control the wheel movement. As a result you can feel quite a bit of harshness when the shock runs out of travel.

The hard part is finding parts that will provide additional damping without adding any harshness. You might want to try riding in a Spec B which has a somewhat better suspension. If you are happy with that you could put something similar on your car (Bilstein HD struts/ spec b springs).

The other thing you could try is a slightly larger tire (224/45/17). A little more sidewall will absorb some of the impact harshness. The stock size of 215/45 doesn't have much sidewall. And the RE-92s have extremely soft sidewalls so they need a good amount of pressure.

Edited by rexster

worn struts dont cause more stiffness, but just more bounciness. to be honest, im surprised anyone would call the stock lgt suspension stiff.

worn out susp parts will cause the ride to be softer and bouncy, along with clucking/popping from the worn out part.

Thats what I was going to say... I just did my suspension because it was way to bouncy... and that was due to shot rear struts. The car rides MUCH better now. Probably due to the MSI springs more than the KYB struts.

Harshness is what I would describe it as well....

when I am on the highway, the car feels like its gliding, but when I go over a small bump/road crack, etc. I notice a dull hit in the supsnesion.

Since spec B models come with 18" rims...is their suspension different height than GT model's?

• 9 years later...

Well you arent kidding. I have never been in a more uncomfortable car in all my life. I mean over small cracks, expansion joints, and really over the smallest of potholes. It feels as if every ball joint tie rod CV joint everything is about to explode in to pieces. Yeah my car has 160k on it. I bought it 150 thinking it may be the tires or tie rods. Replaced the tires with Good Year Comfort Treads

Had the mechanic look at it numerous times and said nothing was wrong.

Now I had an Audi A6 with 200 on the clock before the timing chain took a shit. That car had the original struts and the ride was like a Caddy completely to my Subi. I get its car with a msrp of about 25k more but come on. I know there is quite a bit of aluminum on the Subi to reduce weight I'm assuming. So that could be it too. Not a solid frame and body. BTW. I have to say I had 90 300e 4matic with ridiculous mileage and that was the BEST riding car I have ever been in. You could hear that thud when u closed the door and it felt like you were in a tank.

Now I get it. Apples to Oranges but I'm to the point of wanting to sell it just to keep my kidney's from rupturing. Do I even want to waste the money on struts when I doubt it would help? Anybody ever notice a huge a huge difference with new struts? If so any particular brand?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You came looking for suggestions, I gave you one and you shoot it down without even a "Thank you"?

Nice.

If you're such an expert why'd you ask for opinions?

If you want a more compliant ride, go buy a Buick.

And, no, sway bar bushings and endlinks will not affect the ride. Unless the endlinks are broken, but then you'd have a more compliant ride.

Lol. You go girl!

At 78,000 miles I replaced the struts with Konis, replaced the stock LCA bushings with a Whiteline kit that retained stock caster, and the links wich secure the roll bar were bad and replaced as well. The car now rides beautifully and the clunking noise from the links is gone. Expensive, but that's what Subiebucks are for.
Cool. I love Koni. Had them on my M3. I guess I'm going to give it a shot cuz I love my Subi in every way but the ride comfort. IMO it handles just fine to me. Alot of people thing it's too soft but I can run through the twisties pretty good.