LegacyGT.com

Anyone turbo the stock 2.5 in their LGT?

Hey all just curious. I read through the mods stickies and know it says this is a bad idea. But I am curious a to whether anyone has put a turbo on their original motor with any success. I know it's an open deck block but so are most of the Honda 4 cyl's that guys are turbo-ing all the time. And I also understand that the 9.5 compression is high BUT there again guys are installing turbos on stock mustangs with same compression and higher. It is more about having the right combo in some cases. Really just looking for anyone w real world experience and how they made out. And please, I don't want to start a huge debate or war over why you can't or can, just looking for those that have tried it ( if any) and what happened. Thanks.

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Ok folks doing some homework , and realized that one of the reasons given for not using the EJ25D is kinda false. I was told to not use it because it is an open deck and ha weak internals. Well , almost all subaru motors built since 96 are open deck including the WRX 2.0L and the crank casting is the same as the ones used in the turbo LGT and foresters. Only true difference is the rods and Pistons. So I am thinking of doing a rebuild and just dropping in a decent set of rods an Pistons that are stronger and will drop my CR down to a more boost friendly 8:1. Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Sent from Mos Eisley using Tapatalk

Swapping the internals in the EJ25D would be your best option if you're looking to boost. If you were to use your stock block, you could probably do it for right around a thousand dollars, your biggest expense would be the cross-member and EM. As other have said, check on rs25.com, that is the go to place for diy turbo setups.

I had my '99 boosted for 2 years running 8psi daily, did multiple track days, autocross it regularly and it still has great compression today. I say "had" because I returned it back to stock when I purchased my 07 LGT in July. It was a fun car when boosted, made more power then a 02-03 WRX and surprised quite a few people.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww176/subydude1983/photo_1_zps3aa5e290.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww176/subydude1983/Oct223rdgearvsstock3rdgear_zps0ca1fc95.jpg

Archived