LegacyGT.com

Clutch and flywheel recommendations

coSTIgan-GT

I've got 80k on my 05 LGT and the clutch is smoked. i've been planning on using a 06-up WRX style clutch and flywheel. The car has catless up/down, CBE, CAI, TGV deletes, STi manifold and intercooler, evo3 16g boosting 20psi. Stock clutch would slip in 1-3 on hard acceleration and launches and now slips with any boost. I want something with more bite. I was looking at spec clutches but then read a bad review on this forum. I want something that will last at least 30k and I drive my car hard, occasional launches at 5500rpm. Any suggestions? thanks

Clutch, ACT HDSS is a favorite, as is the Clutch masters FX200 and FX300. I myself will be going for the CM FX 400. Spec and exedy seem to have a more dubious set of reviews.

as far as FW, the 06-07 WRX flywheel is fine for stock weight, no problems there... aside from that the ACT seems to be the only one that is used. I'm debating between the ACT steel and the Fidanza aluminum. fidanza replaced a friction surface, not the FW, and does not need to be resurfaced.... but apparently before it gets hot, is a bit loose... dunno what that actually means. the ACT is resurfacable, but could need to be replaced if it develops hot spots.

hope it helps

I'm definately going with the WRX setup, but now I'm leaning towards a stock replacement or stage 1 Exedy. Has anyone had any problems with broken trans, rear end, axles, etc with an upgraded clutch? I would rather my clutch be the weak point in the drivetrain than the trans. But, I want to spin the tires, not the clutch. Ahhhh I don't know...

its up to you, just understand the LGT is a bit harder to break than the WRX as they have the wider gears that the WRX has, but unlike the 06-07 wrx, the LGT retained a fairly high final drive, so we lose a touch MPG, but due to the torque efficiency we dont have as much strain on the gears. that being said, if you drive it like an ass, you will break it even on the stock replacement clutch. personally I'd get one that is going to hold the power and just learn how to drive it with out shockloading the gears. very rarely will the transmission let go due to sheer power, usually its due to stress fractures in the metal due to being abruptly forced into power from no power (from engine brake or gear change to full torque while letting the gears relax and lose their connection). if you use the clutch properly to ensure a smooth engagement instead of shocking the driveline, then you will probably never have issues.

T

ok my clutch just started slipping last night. I have a 09 gt stock with 38k miles. I plan on going stage 2 soon. My car is my DD. What clutch would you guys recommend? I am assuming I have a single mass flywheel so does that mean I can just resurface it?

murph: I believe that is correct that you have the single mass, as far as resurfacing that's fine too, you can as long as it is not warped or "scarred" (there is another name, but it cant have any of those really dark spots from heat). as far as the clutch, stage 2 would be fine with the ACT HDSS, or the Clutch masters FX200 (could do the FX 100, but the 200's kevlar is supposed to last twice as long). if you think you will be pushing a larger turbo, or meth, then look into the FX300 over the 200.

2005: not a bad choice. I had the ACT on my WRX.... liked it. going with the CM FX300 this time for an alternative (and for the kevlar). the ACT HDSS was a good DD clutch, and being the WRX it already had that FW, so no issues there. it was nice.

T

My car is still on the original clutch at 81k. I've had the car since 37k, stage 2 at 40k, then 16g swap at 64k. The stocker held up to that much abuse, so I think the Exedy stage1 will be enough. A lot cheaper then ACT, and I think the Exedy stage 2 wouldn't be street friendly enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I just fried my 05 LGT stock clutch at 132Miles. only mod i have on the car is K&N Typhon intake. Ordered my Exedy stage 1 and Fidanza wrx flywheel from Gripforce. Only issue is Fidanza have run out of stock on the flywheel so I have waited since 10Nov and still no confirmation on supply... bugger

I own an Evo, but am considering getting a '07 or '08 Spec B for a daily driver. I have seen pics of aluminum flywheels grenading into a bunch of itty-bitty-tiny parts. You may not have that issue with the power levels most Legacy's run, but it's something to consider.

I have had fantastic luck with the two ACT clutches I have run on my Evo. I have 80,000 miles on my present ACT, although I have been limping around for the last 20,000...but it still holds :)

Archived