LegacyGT.com

Noob question: considering selling my B5 S4 Avant for a Legacy GT wagon. Thoughts?

I have a 2001 S4 Avant. In general I like it, with a few exceptions:

- Although it is not a lemon by any means, it has had a few repairs, including a new set of turbos under warranty.

- It is a bit smaller than I'd prefer to own now (as opposed to when I bought it, of course).

- It is almost five years old, and off warranty.

My brother bought an '05 Legacy GT Limited wagon, manual transmission last week. I drove it a few days ago, and like it. So now I'm considering buying one myself.

So, here are a few questions:

- Anyone else made a similar switch? What have your experiences been?

- What price should I expect to pay for one?

- Any thoughts for what I'd get for my S4 in trade, if I choose to go that route? It has 72K on the odometer. My ideal would be to make this a cashless or nearly-cashless transaction, but that may be asking a bit much.

- What's the availability of these cars at this point? It's my understanding that the manual transmission GT wagon has been dropped for '06.

- I've read about a $1500 rebate offer that expires on August 1st. Any word on if that will be extended, or if there will be another offer?

- Anything else I should be asking?

I have read a bunch of postings to the board, but not all of them by any means. Please feel to point me to FAQs or other postings for answers, if you like.

TIA.

There is no way you are going to get a cashless or near cashless swap at this point. My neighbor had a 2001 S4 sedan with 35k miles on it and he only got 22k trade for it a year and a half ago.

I would say that you would be lucky to get around 19,000 for the trade if you have like a really option loaded car. An new LGT will cost you about 7k-9k more after that after the trade (including taxes and fees) depending if you get all the factory goodies on that.

I love my sedan and I know a few people on here that came from S4's and they are very happy. I would do it b4 the MT is poooof gone forever in that model

Better hurry. I don't know where you live, but here in California....my local dealership told me that a search in the SOA database found only 9 MT wagons ('05 of course) left in the greater Los Angeles and San Diego region. They will go even faster as word spreads about Subaru dropping the 5MT in any wagon form next year. What a stupid marketing move for SOA!

I got rid of my S4 avant for my LGT. The audi was a nice car but not worth the hassle. If the S4 was still produced I would save the 10k and still get the LGT. Yes you lose the german feel but gain a much more reliable car. I don't even miss my S4 that much anymore.

I sent you a pm by the way.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into what's available and how the numbers work out, and decide if I want to make a move or keep what I have.

There is no way you are going to get a cashless or near cashless swap at this point. My neighbor had a 2001 S4 sedan with 35k miles on it and he only got 22k trade for it a year and a half ago.

I would say that you would be lucky to get around 19,000 for the trade if you have like a really option loaded car. An new LGT will cost you about 7k-9k more after that after the trade (including taxes and fees) depending if you get all the factory goodies on that.

I love my sedan and I know a few people on here that came from S4's and they are very happy. I would do it b4 the MT is poooof gone forever in that model

Back in February I got $19k for my A4Q 2.8 5spd wagon wtih 34k miles. It was immaculate but I basically had someone who wanted that car. I advertised it on Autotrader and then on Audiworld. I definitely recommend putting it out where the 'Audiphiles' can find it.

I sent an email to Subaru about the MT being dropped in the 06 wagon. The customer service guy that responded said...'although the specifications for the 2006 Legacy have not been finalized, I doubt that we would be dropping the MT in the GT wagon since we have always offered an MT with our turbo charged engines.' I've read so much and in so many places about the demise of the MT that I guess I believe it now. I'll probably be shopping this weekend. Good luck with your deal.

I'm in the northeast. Guess i'd better find out what's still available. Thanks.

Better hurry. I don't know where you live, but here in California....my local dealership told me that a search in the SOA database found only 9 MT wagons ('05 of course) left in the greater Los Angeles and San Diego region. They will go even faster as word spreads about Subaru dropping the 5MT in any wagon form next year. What a stupid marketing move for SOA!

Back in February I got $19k for my A4Q 2.8 5spd wagon wtih 34k miles. It was immaculate but I basically had someone who wanted that car. I advertised it on Autotrader and then on Audiworld. I definitely recommend putting it out where the 'Audiphiles' can find it.

I sent an email to Subaru about the MT being dropped in the 06 wagon. The customer service guy that responded said...'although the specifications for the 2006 Legacy have not been finalized, I doubt that we would be dropping the MT in the GT wagon since we have always offered an MT with our turbo charged engines.' I've read so much and in so many places about the demise of the MT that I guess I believe it now. I'll probably be shopping this weekend. Good luck with your deal.

funny that they aren't finalized, while a member has already taken delivery of an '06 car. :rolleyes:

BiturboWagon:

I also had a 2001 S4, sedan though, 6 speed and with some mods: MTM Engine management, Bi pipes, catback, and some other gimmicks for Stage II...

I also bought an 05 LGT Wagon Limited 5MT, and here are my concepts:

First the bad ones:

* Audi finishing and interior quality conbined with its luxury you won't get/find on the LGT...

* My Stage II S4 was faster, way faster than my LGT (only @ Stage I now though)

* Audi usually feels more stable, and more sporty, but that's primarily because of the weight difference, hence the LGT's are lighter, you won't feel that...

* Audi 6MT is SUPERB, cannot compare to Subie 5MT by all means!!!!!!

Now the good ones:

* Bang for the buck is just incredible (I paid 25175 for my LGT, Invoice - rebates - 4% holdback -500 dealer incentives)...

* You won't get more than ~20K for your Audi, and this is if you sell it privately, trade-in will get you only around 17K and this is if it's in immaculate condition.

* Turbo Subaru's will keep their value much better then Turbo Audi's

* Maintenance costs are waaay cheaper on the Subie, even though they are MORE reliable than Audi's and anyone here can back that up for sure.

* Also Subie is cheaper to go to Stage I, II and III etc etc.. So mods are way cheaper if you decide to go in that path...

Where in the Northeast are you? I bought mine at Natick Subaru in Mass, they might have other ones there in case you want to check, or you can go to: http://www.newenglandsubaru.com and locate your car...

Remember, don't pay invoice for your new Subie, haggle haggle and haggle, once the price the dealers pay for the car is not the same as Audi charges:

Audi - dealer pays invoice

Subaru - delaer pays invoice - 4% cashback

Good luck and if you are around Boston area or close enough, PM me and I would be glad to talk/help you in case you need...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I had a 2.7L twin turbo with ECU upgrades and a few other minor items.

The 04 was the first year for the 4.2. From what I know my 03 was actually quicker than the 4.2 model. I would say the Leggy is about the same in a strait line as my 03 S4 was:)

I would have no problem going up against a 04-05 S4, especially after I finish installing my latest purchases:lol:

The only things I miss are the interior & every time I hit the brake peda! !

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I had a 2.7L twin turbo with ECU upgrades and a few other minor items.

The 04 was the first year for the 4.2. From what I know my 03 was actually quicker than the 4.2 model. I would say the Leggy is about the same in a strait line as my 03 S4 was:)

I would have no problem going up against a 04-05 S4, especially after I finish installing my latest purchases:lol:

The only things I miss are the interior & every time I hit the brake peda! !

Are you sure yours was an 03??? There were no 2003 Audi S4 nor S4 Avants, once 03 was the first year of the B6 platform, and as usual, no S models for it... However there was an Audi S6 Avant for sale on 2003 which used the same motorization of 04 and 05 S4's with 340hp and 310 lbs feet of torque...

Specs on the S6

0-100km/h 6.5 secs

1/4 mile @ 14 secs.

Specs on the S4:

Little bump to 344hp but "only" 303 lbs ft torque

0-100km/h 5.6 secs

1/4 mile @ 13.8 secs

:-)

Still not fast enough to keep up with our LGT (if you upgrade it to Stage I at least), otherwise stock x stock should be pretty close...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Okay, this is, I think, my third attempt to reply to this message. My apologies if you receive multiple replies, but I don't believe that the previous ones got through. Each time I tried to post, I got an error message from legacygt, or a 404 error.

Thanks for the info. I live in upstate NY. I plan to visit the dealer this afternoon.

I know what you mean about the shifter. My Audi's shifter feels better than my brother's Legacy.

My Audi is stock, and I'll probably leave the Legacy stock.

I like the new Legacys. We'll see what happens.

BiturboWagon:

I also had a 2001 S4, sedan though, 6 speed and with some mods: MTM Engine management, Bi pipes, catback, and some other gimmicks for Stage II...

I also bought an 05 LGT Wagon Limited 5MT, and here are my concepts:

First the bad ones:

* Audi finishing and interior quality conbined with its luxury you won't get/find on the LGT...

* My Stage II S4 was faster, way faster than my LGT (only @ Stage I now though)

* Audi usually feels more stable, and more sporty, but that's primarily because of the weight difference, hence the LGT's are lighter, you won't feel that...

* Audi 6MT is SUPERB, cannot compare to Subie 5MT by all means!!!!!!

Now the good ones:

* Bang for the buck is just incredible (I paid 25175 for my LGT, Invoice - rebates - 4% holdback -500 dealer incentives)...

* You won't get more than ~20K for your Audi, and this is if you sell it privately, trade-in will get you only around 17K and this is if it's in immaculate condition.

* Turbo Subaru's will keep their value much better then Turbo Audi's

* Maintenance costs are waaay cheaper on the Subie, even though they are MORE reliable than Audi's and anyone here can back that up for sure.

* Also Subie is cheaper to go to Stage I, II and III etc etc.. So mods are way cheaper if you decide to go in that path...

Where in the Northeast are you? I bought mine at Natick Subaru in Mass, they might have other ones there in case you want to check, or you can go to: www.newenglandsubaru.com and locate your car...

Remember, don't pay invoice for your new Subie, haggle haggle and haggle, once the price the dealers pay for the car is not the same as Audi charges:

Audi - dealer pays invoice

Subaru - delaer pays invoice - 4% cashback

Good luck and if you are around Boston area or close enough, PM me and I would be glad to talk/help you in case you need...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a S6 Avant Audi owner. Great value this OB XT and a true MVP in these..here.. parts of Colorado. After a few months you'll forget all about those nagging visits to the Audi Service facility. Great guy's the Audi techs, I just don't want to see them so often!

The LGT/OB has it's weaknesses, however given time, SOA will benefit greatly if they address the issues.

Go ahead, ditch the Audi.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Thanks for the input. Could you elaborate on why you chose the OB XT over the LGT? Also on what you feel the Subie weaknesses are?

Thanks.

I too am a S6 Avant Audi owner. Great value this OB XT and a true MVP in these..here.. parts of Colorado. After a few months you'll forget all about those nagging visits to the Audi Service facility. Great guy's the Audi techs, I just don't want to see them so often!

The LGT/OB has it's weaknesses, however given time, SOA will benefit greatly if they address the issues.

Go ahead, ditch the Audi.

Cheers,

Mike

The OB XT Ltd appealed to us for its suspension set up ala’ raised ride height. Now, taking advantage of the many Colorado Forest Service roads comes easy; camping, hiking trailheads, outdoor activities et cetera. Additionally the no image,image we like alot.

An OB XT weakness is the low quality plastics and the use of painted interior trim parts. Read cheap. The interior design is handsome enough, however the painted surfaces scratch waayy too easy. The rear cargo area of our OB is starting to show significant wear and tear to the plastics. Several plastic trim items snap into place in stead being secured with screws, et cetera. Oh and let’s not forget the clumsy Automatic Climate Control which demands a drivers attention often. The ACC is anything but automatic. Operation in the manual modes help some. Wait for the ACC service bulletin. Crossed fingers.

Subaru can take this LGT/OB range of cars form Good to Great if they want to. one item at a ACC time.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Archived