LegacyGT.com

We Won !!!

This is actually pretty sad, imho. The Evo, I personally think, is a fantastic car. It is/was packed full of technology (dated now, I realize), beat the STI (save for this brand new STI model) in nearly all "performance only" tests, and looked great (again, my opinion). Hell, even the new STI looks like it! And I say this as an STI owner, and owner of two other Subarus.

However, it's high price (part of why I went with an STI instead of an Evo) and lack of racing presence helped seal its fate. We're lucky to have the STI still given that Subaru still (to my knowledge) officially doesn't participate in WRC. It's a shame because a lot of awesome technology is developed out of racing and eventually finds itself in a manufacturers more "pedestrian" cars. And without any real segment competition now, Subaru has lost some incentive to continue to refine/improve the tech in the STI which will eventually show up in other models.

So yes, Subaru "won," but overall a really cool car is lost in the end.

so does this mean they will come out with an evo-inspired nissan car? or are they going to rely on the GTR to be their performance car through their alliance?

personally, i think they may already have a plan to bring out an evo-esque EV that will compete with the tesla and such. could be interesting.

Apparently the new EVO replacement is supposed to come into GTR territory at a lower price point..

Not sure if we can say we won yet, because Subaru has no plans of getting to that power point in a stock form. EVO has been plagued by being undercut by the STI for two decades, putting a car in a completely different bracket may be beneficial to them. instead of getting passed off as "ya I was gonna get an EVO but the STI was 9 grand cheaper"

besides both are high performing cars, TOP gear has stated the EVO has been handling a little crisper (in stock form) for the past few generations. But Subaru's when built properly last a long time each has there benefits and extreme customization and aftermarket support. Personally I could see an EVO in my future, maybe only because I have access to importing cheap JDM vehicles.

Apparently the new EVO replacement is supposed to come into GTR territory at a lower price point..

Not sure if we can say we won yet, because Subaru has no plans of getting to that power point in a stock form. EVO has been plagued by being undercut by the STI for two decades, putting a car in a completely different bracket may be beneficial to them. instead of getting passed off as "ya I was gonna get an EVO but the STI was 9 grand cheaper"

besides both are high performing cars, TOP gear has stated the EVO has been handling a little crisper (in stock form) for the past few generations. But Subaru's when built properly last a long time each has there benefits and extreme customization and aftermarket support. Personally I could see an EVO in my future, maybe only because I have access to importing cheap JDM vehicles.

Couldn't you get a used Nissan Skyline R35 ???????

Yup. I can just legally this year purchase the skyline out of the second Fast N Furious movie. the first one landed in Canada was asking 50,000 for. they are still 10,000+ dollar vehicles but they are worth. R34s are in the 5-8k range but honestly I would feel more comfortable working on a EVO or Gc8 STi / Turbo Fozzy than the skyline. If I were to get any JDM vehicle I think Toyota Mark 2 Chaser with a good 1j or 2jz =)

That being said.. I love the steering wheel being on the left so my wrx swapped lego will keep me satisfied once I redo the suspension and it quits clunking around.

my friend had an R34 with the Altezza AWD system, rigged up a switch to the fuse and had on demand RWD / AWD control. That being said he got smoked by a stock jdm wrx in the snow so the awd system isn't up to subie snuff but RWD in the summer is always nice.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't say 'we won' per say. As Erickrocks said, 'a pretty cool car is lost.'. Now that the Evo is gone, it will be interesting to see how sti and Impreza sales reflect that. But outside of Chevy (blech) and Ford Mustangs (antiquated set up). America has the Fiesta and Focus st which are fun and insane little cars but are not awd. Frankly I think the world is just a touch more boring now. Fun cars are disappearing, or are becoming more and more expensive

Archived