LegacyGT.com

2012 - STI Sedan?

jcdennis

So I stopped by the dealer the other day and while talking the guy I was speaking with mentioned that 2012MY would see the return of the STI sedan.

From what he said, this wouldn't be as an option to the hatch, but rather a return of the "sedan only" STI.

Sort of sad for me, as I'm one of the seeming few that actually really liked the hatch.

Anyone able to confirm or refute?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There has been much speculation that it will be a sedan only and the hatch will no longer be an option (only the WRX will remain as a hatch option). Now that the 11 WRX has been unveiled details about the new STI will be coming out within the next couple of months. It will look aggressive and it will be fast!!

There has been much speculation that it will be a sedan only and the hatch will no longer be an option (only the WRX will remain as a hatch option). Now that the 11 WRX has been unveiled details about the new STI will be coming out within the next couple of months. It will look aggressive and it will be fast!!

So you're saying that it'll likely be a sedan for 2011 as well?

I don't dislike the STI sedan idea... but there is something about being able to have the function of the hatch and performance of the STI that I like....

There is no confirmation as of yet for the STI in the 2011 MY. It could be a sedan for 2011 since Subaru just released the STI SE for 2010, which should be the last run of STI's in hatch form.

If that is true... another dumb move.

They now have a wide body version of both the sedan and the 5-door, in the steel.

How hard is it to just offer the wide-body as both WRX and STI models, and leave the Impreza, Outback Sport/XV, and Impreza GT be the normal narrow-body models.

4-door and 5-door bodystyle, both wide-body, choice for both WRX (265hp/5-speed/Symmetrical), and STI (305hp/6-speed/DCCD)

Why limit the bodystyles all the damn time? Why does it seem like a good idea to create narrow circumstances all the time? Just offer the stuff.

Not that it matters to me. None of them are attractive, let alone being a sleek coupe.

The whole lineup, wide or narrow, 4 or 5 door, is ugly as sin.

They now have a wide body version of both the sedan and the 5-door, in the steel.

How hard is it to just offer the wide-body as both WRX and STI models, and leave the Impreza, Outback Sport/XV, and Impreza GT be the normal narrow-body models.

4-door and 5-door bodystyle, both wide-body, choice for both WRX (265hp/5-speed/Symmetrical), and STI (305hp/6-speed/DCCD)

Why limit the bodystyles all the damn time? Why does it seem like a good idea to create narrow circumstances all the time? Just offer the stuff.

Not that it matters to me. None of them are attractive, let alone being a sleek coupe.

I agree with this... maybe mostly because I want a hatch down the road. :redface:

I also think they're ugly... but personally I always thought that about subies, it's part of the reason I love them so much! (Like a bulldog or something!) :wub:

Wow, all you do is bitch.

Well, all subaru does is sell ugly cars on great chassis and drivetrains.

When that changes, my opinion of that will change as well.

Do you really like the way Subaru tries to pick and choose combinations, and deny you choices of combinations you might want?

Most other manufacturers, if they offer a color choice, they offer it widely.

most other manufacturers, if they offer a body-style choice, they offer it widely.

Why would Subaru think it is a good idea to take a 5-door only STI, and convert over to 4-door only STI, when now they have wide-body versions of both stampings?

Why does Subaru think it is a good idea that your paint color choice should be limited, or otherwise that it should determine the interior color.

Saturn got canned, but just yesterday I saw TWO Saturn Aura sedans, both maroon red 3.6 models, two different wheel styles, one dark interior (gray/black), one tan interior.

How long has it been since Subaru offered that choice? MY2005 on the Legacy.

Limiting colors.

Limiting features

Limiting bodystyles

Limiting gearbox choice

Limiting engine availability sometimes.

What is it about Subaru that they think that the customer is always incapable of choosing what they want? That is an arrogant position.

It isn't even as if they produce cars that way for inventory, but then do build-to-order choices for some of those features and colors, for those willing to pay for it, and wait for it.

Ugly aesthetics, and very little configuration choice, are both obstacles to Subaru ownership.

Why is it so damn hard to understand that if Subaru built cars that were widely thought of as good looking... even just mildly handsome... and then gave people a bit more choice as to how it looked, and how it was optioned to their taste... those would be ATTRACTIONS for people to come in and buy a Subaru, and more people might come and see how capable the drivetrain and chassis underpinnings are.

Why would a company insist on hurdles like that?

There is a term for that... it is called "Penny-wise but Dollar-stupid." (originated in as pound-stupid... as in British Pound Sterling.)

Subaru won't spend the figurative "penny" that it costs to be flexible, so they lose out on the "dollar" that they'd get in increased sales to more people who would buy Subaru over it's competitors who do offer wider choices.

So like I said, they limit choices just like every other manufacturer... especially the Japanese. modeling your business after domestics is the way to go right IWSS? And why are you raging about something you don't know to be true?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess we also forget that subaru and Hyundai were the only 2 automakers with up years this year too. I guess all those limits on choices is killing their sales lol if you dont like it, dont buy it. but it seems that you did buy it so it looks like youre eating your words lol subaru is not a car giant. they are one of the smaller niche market manufacturers so we arent going to get all the crazy choices like scions get. instead we get a damn well built machine. Im so jealous. lol

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

You people act like offering things that SUBARU USED TO OFFER ALREADY, are somehow out of bounds to ask for.

I am not asking for 500 horsepower, or a flux capacitor or some weird thing.

A choice of paint colors. A choice of dark or light interior on all paint colors.

A choice between manual and automatic gearboxes, on most or all of the popular engines.

These aren't THAT DAMN DIFFICULT!

And I am not crazy to expect to be treated like a customer, when I go in to buy a car, rather than just being a lemming to whatever they choose to offer.

What makes you people think that they are automatically smarter than everybody else?

They are just people. People make mistakes. Car makers make mistakes. Offering a color choice is not one of those mistakes.

I bought a 2005 Legacy because it was the last that had the color choice that I wanted, and I had to go half way across the country to get it.

Would you do that, or would you just cave in, and buy whatever they want to deign to sell you?

If Subaru doesn't offer the choices... nobody else offers the boxer engine with AWD at Subaru's general price range, so I am kind of STUCK, now, aren't I?

It isn't that difficult. but i guess it is easier for you guys to just lap up whatever you are presented with by mother Subaru, who knows better than you guys possibly could.

The 2010 Legacy is selling off the charts. And many here don't like the looks of it.

Explain that one?

Yes, I just did that.

LOL. I think the answer is pretty simple, Subaru's target demographic changed. The kind of people that bought and love the 05-09 are not generally the same type/age of individual that is buying the 2010. Hence the overwhelming negative feedback on this forum from 05-09 owners.

Wow, all you do is bitch.

You must be new here. :lol:

As for the STi sedan, I'm believing that the introduction of the "widebody" for '11 is a progression for a sedan and a hatch form of the STi. I'd be surprised if it doesn't come this year.

they are one of the smaller niche market manufacturers

SO, are they niche, which should continue to cater to their established niche clientele, who they are abandoning with the way they've changed the Legacy and Outback, to go more mainstream...

or are they mainstream who should chase after sales figures with no consideration to who their customer base already was, and leave them hanging out to dry while they company "sells out?"

Which the hell is it? I wish someone would make up their mind.

I think having every option under the sun what got the likes of Ford, GM and Chrysler in trouble.

WRONG. If you think that, then you are incorrect. The fact that they had the same cars re-badged over and over and over, with little functional difference, and the fact that it costs them more to provide union workers with pensions than it costs them to build all of their cars combined, and the fact that they STOPPED LISTENING TO THE CUSTOMERS A LONG FRAKKING TIME AGO, is what put those companies in trouble.

AND AGAIN, I AM ASKING FOR THINGS THAT SUBARU USED TO DO! That is not the defintion of "everything under the sun." Don't use Hyperbole unless you know how.

Subaru was different than that. They were niche. But now they want mainstream.

Either stick to the core competencies, and the choices that the Niche market customers want to have available to them from Subaru particularly...

Or sell the hell out, and flip the niche buyers the bird, and hope that enough people wander in from toyota, GM, Honda, Ford, Nissan, and everywhere else... because it doesn't really matter. A car is a car is a car, which is the appliance-buyer mindset, not the niche buyer mindset.

It doesn't really matter that Subaru has always said AWD is an advantage... so lets introduce a non-AWD coupe, just because it is easy to re-badge a Toyota project that Subaru builds for them.

It doesn't really matter that Subaru set the Outback as the alternative to an SUV, let's make it an SUV instead, just as big, just as chunky.

It doesn't really matter that Subaru hasn't been everything to everyone, but let's go mainstream, and try to swim with the big sharks as a little minnow, and try not to end up as BAIT.

It doesn't really matter that Subaru has a boxer engine or AWD standard... as was said: "if you don't like Subaru's feature and option restrictions, just buy something else" that doesn't have the boxer engine or real AWD, because there isn't a functional difference that really matters at all. Just buy a Ford or a Chevy instead. No big difference.

So which is it?

Is Subaru different, or not?

I bought two Subarus because they were different. If they are no longer, then we've all been sold a bill of goods that was meaningless, and we shouldn't really be Subaru entusiasts anymore.

That is a bullcrap dichotomy, and you people know it. If you know what dichotomy means.

I think having every option under the sun what got the likes of Ford, GM and Chrysler in trouble.

That's what B4 was getting at.;)

I think IWSS just needs to buy himself a nice kit car where he can build it completely himself with any engine / body / drivetrain configuration his imagination can dream up, then paint it any colour he likes.

Glad IWSS taking rumors for facts.

Until A) Toyota shows a PRODUCTION version of the FT-86, I doubt Subaru will be unveiling their version. Even then, just because a RUMOR says it wont be AWD doesnt make it truth.

The world is ending in 2011 now, just a rumor I heard. Better update all the websites/tv programs/movies/etc..

That's what B4 was getting at.;)

I think IWSS just needs to buy himself a nice kit car where he can build it completely himself with any engine / body / drivetrain configuration his imagination can dream up, then paint it any colour he likes.

IF I could find one, I would. It would be fantastic, and everyone would wonder where they could get one for themselves. :p;)

Glad IWSS taking rumors for facts.

Until A) Toyota shows a PRODUCTION version of the FT-86, I doubt Subaru will be unveiling their version. Even then, just because a RUMOR says it wont be AWD doesnt make it truth.

The world is ending in 2011 now, just a rumor I heard. Better update all the websites/tv programs/movies/etc..

What rumors? There is a THREAD in this very FORUM that all but ESTABLISHES that the Subaru half of the FT-86 project will be REAR WHEEL DRIVE, NOT ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

I have been the one making the most discussion points ***FOR*** an AWD Coupe, in that thread.

Something that is being reported in the Automotive press, reportedly from an inside source, is not the same as you FAILING TO USE HYPERBOLE AGAIN.

Really. Put the rhetorical device down, and back away.

IF I could find one, I would. It would be fantastic, and everyone would wonder where they could get one for themselves. :p;)

What rumors? There is a THREAD in this very FORUM that all but ESTABLISHES that the Subaru half of the FT-86 project will be REAR WHEEL DRIVE, NOT ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

I have been the one making the most discussion points ***FOR*** an AWD Coupe, in that thread.

Something that is being reported in the Automotive press, reportedly from an inside source, is not the same as you FAILING TO USE HYPERBOLE AGAIN.

Really. Put the rhetorical device down, and back away.

Subaru has never stated what the coupe would be. It was assumed to be RWD from the beginning. The rumors from publications are the ones stating it'd be AWD then RWD.

Why do you jump to the conclusion that the 5 door sti is going away?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived