LegacyGT.com

Reprogramming a key.. stealership

Th3Franz

I got the 08 All-in-one key for Christmas from FBP.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3688/Subaru-Legacy-'All-In/Detail

I had them cut it according to my VIN and now I will have a local dealership program the immobilizer code so that it works on my car. The local dealership quoted me $90 and 1.5 hours of labor to reprogram it. They said I need to bring all of my existing keys because they have to program them all! WTF? I have my security codes. Shouldn't they only need to program the brand new key and charge me ONE hour of labor? Looking for input from people who have done this. If there's no alternative, fine. But I think the stealership is screwing with me. :lol:

-Franz

Just had my three keys reprogrammed yesterday (i was installing a remote start and one of the keys was not programmed). The dealership first quoted me $45. Told them I was disappointed in that price and that I always come in to do any work, but I didn't fight about it too much. I just needed it done. Found out later that the service manager dropped the price down to $20.

$90 is ridiculous.

Guest LGT-NY
Fred Beans Parts will also cut this key to your specific vehicle at no extra charge if you would like. Simply email: fredbeansparts@fredbeans.com with your vin # after placing your order. ( Include your name & order# in the email)

Wait, so you can find out the key design if you have the VIN? That seems kinda sketchy if a crafty car thief has your VIN...

Wait, so you can find out the key design if you have the VIN? That seems kinda sketchy if a crafty car thief has your VIN...

Yeah, but the dealer is required to have documentation of ownership if they cut a key from a VIN. I know, as I locked my key in the running Outback 100 miles from home. It also costs more to have it done this way.

It is still ugly.

Archived