LegacyGT.com

Any advice: Volk GT-V 18"×8"+46 w/ 225/40/18 or 255/35/18?

d.scott of suburbia

Hey folks -

I seek your advice: is the setup that the following post describes kosher with the 05 LGT?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=168618&postcount=19

I'm no wheel or tire expert in the very least, so I was wondering if anyone else would know.

In short, this fella wants to fit and install 18"×8" +46 offset Volk GT-Vs with Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Positions 225/40/18 or 255/35/18 tires. He has no doubt that the 225s will work, but is questioning the fit of the 255s. He thinks that they may be too wide.

If anyone could provide this gentleman (and myself as well) with any advice on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks -

D.SCOTT

there's a reason why it was stickied

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11249

8.0" (+43mm to +51mm offset, +53)

255mm = 8.5", and 9"

255/35/18 (very good daily driving size, even better on the track)

Use these at your own risk, but to my knowledge on a lowered car with a small-spring perch type coilover, it should work and ride fine. The most you'll probably have to do to the fenders is to just roll the lip of it in to give yourself another 5mm of clearance. I hope this helps. I'll be posting 20" rims and tires specs on the forums soon.

Keefe

and why are you talking to yourself in third person?

and why are you talking to yourself in third person?

There's a reason why I posted this link for reference:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost...18&postcount=19

'This Gentleman' and 'this fella' are not referrals to me, but to the author of that post.

Thanks for the referral -

D.SCOTT

Why not?

This is the 'Wheels/Tires' forum right? The topic was brought up in the 'New Member' forum - a place to introduce yourself, but hardly the place to start a decent discussion about wheels and tires. I was simply helping out another new member, and I referenced his post.

Who are you, the 'Forum Police'? Geez, get off my back already.

I'm the original "gentleman" and I read the stickied post you're referring to, and by my reckoning, it means that I should be good with the 255/35/18 tires on the +46 offset Volk GT-V wheels.

BUT! the "professional" at Upgrade Motoring in Northridge, CA has made it clear to me with a bunch of mathematical mumbo jumbo that he's convinced that the 255/35/18 tires will be too wide to work on my car with the GT-V wheels.

That's the reason for my original post and the reason D.SCOTT has created a new post in the wheel/tire thread. I posted on his intro thread because it was pretty recent and relavent to his post about considering the very wheels that I have decided to put on my ride.

Nobody's out of line here, and because of the descension of a wheel fitment professional, there is reason to question Keefe's numbers. Can't hurt to make sure, right?

So, please do D.SCOTT and me a favor and either confirm or challenge "Glenn at Upgrade Motoring of Northridge"'s assertion that the GT-V's with the SO-3's will or won't work on my sublime LGT with a tire size of 255/35/18, okay?

Thank you very much!

wsholar

gt_silverspoiler_la

Glendale, CA

I'm the original "gentleman" and I read the stickied post you're referring to, and by my reckoning, it means that I should be good with the 255/35/18 tires on the +46 offset Volk GT-V wheels.

BUT! the "professional" at Upgrade Motoring in Northridge, CA has made it clear to me with a bunch of mathematical mumbo jumbo that he's convinced that the 255/35/18 tires will be too wide to work on my car with the GT-V wheels.

That's the reason for my original post and the reason D.SCOTT has created a new post in the wheel/tire thread. I posted on his intro thread because it was pretty recent and relavent to his post about considering the very wheels that I have decided to put on my ride.

Nobody's out of line here, and because of the descension of a wheel fitment professional, there is reason to question Keefe's numbers. Can't hurt to make sure, right?

So, please do D.SCOTT and me a favor and either confirm or challenge "Glenn at Upgrade Motoring of Northridge"'s assertion that the GT-V's with the SO-3's will or won't work on my sublime LGT with a tire size of 255/35/18, okay?

Thank you very much!

wsholar

gt_silverspoiler_la

Glendale, CA

If you don't drop the car...255 should work. If you have any plans on lowering, go with the 225.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

If you don't drop the car...255 should work. If you have any plans on lowering, go with the 225.
YEAH BABY! Finally, a straight answer.

I was curious too - I am contemplating a similar (if not the same) setup. I hope you don't mind gt_silverspoiler_la. ;)

Thanks BoxerGT2.5 and gt_silverspoiler_la!

D.SCOTT

you know, a 245/35/18 is a definite fit (but S03s dont come in that size)... I havent really checked up the complete specs on the S03s in the 255/35/18 size.. 5mm difference from my +51 and your +46 fitment can be corrected by taking off that rear fender lip weather stripping off the car to gain that 5mm of clearance safely. You can fit the S03 on the car, but when you lower the car using springs, just becareful with the rears as you might (say about a 40% chance) that you will need to roll a little bit of the rear fender lip.

Keefe

Keefe

Great. Thanks from me too. DT.SCOTT, no worries, as long as you don't think less of my ride because it has a SPOILER. :D

gt_silverspoiler_la

HA! Personal preference friend, that's all. I say 'tomayto', you say 'tomahto'. Or whatever. :D

Thanks Keefe and BoxerGT2.5 for your input. I've read many of your posts here and I'll admit that you fellas have educated me quite a bit on this subject. Please keep up the good work for the sake of newbies like me.

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Hopefully one day, we'll know how to 'fish' ourselves without having to be given one, so to speak.

D.SCOTT

By the way Keefe -

A little off topic, but I noticed that you were running the R1-Racing GTR-9 Hyperblack 18"x7.5" +42mm. How did you like those wheels? Also, as a 'daily driver' configuration, would you recommend these? I don't race or anything, I'm just looking for some nice 18" mesh wheels for my LGT. I prefer chrome but I understand the GTR9 doesn't come in chrome - I'm considering the hyper black for these. I saw the lip on those and it looks convincing (the more 'real' lip, the better).

Much appreciated -

D.SCOTT

calm down

no way am i some forum police

up until about the last few sentences, you kept saying I, I, I

and then it seemed like you were talking to yourself in third person, hence the question i asked

just about every single question asked on any forum, is something they could have found through searching, did not know if you or "this fella" read it or not, so as you asked, gave my advise on it

and all i was trying to do was get some insight on the background of this question

the referenced post asked a wheel/tire question, i didnt know that it was actually posted in the intro section. until you got all offended, i thought the original question was asked in the wheel/tire section, with that mind frame, all you had to do was bump it, if it was never answered. Again, trying to get some background info

i was "just curious", it's not like i said, why the hell are you making another thread?

so i asked, why create another one?

"Geez", centennials :lol:

Those are the Titanium/Gunmetal. Titanium being the finish of the rim and gunmetal being the finish of the spokes. Yes, 2-piece design, very light, although, I don't know the exact weight spec. With the summer tires, she really hugs the mountain roads nicely.

Pictures are in the driveway of our soon-to-be new digs in the San Gabriels, overlooking the valley, high above beautiful downtown Monrovia. Just a few minutes from Glendora Mountain and Ridge roads. We're pumped. :D

Archived