LegacyGT.com

intercooler cleaning

Hey every one, I have 2006 spec b and im driving in the snow a lot. I just replaced the air filter because it was filthy from all the salt on the roads but I was also wondering about my intercooler. Does that need to be cleaned because I have a feeling that it is dirtier than the air filter. What my question is, does the intercooler need to be cleaned and if so, what is the bes method

also a side note, how do you know if the turbo is going out? any sounds because I heard a whining sound after my 4 hour drive today.

Intercooler- if its not covered with rocks and bugs its fine. You could remove it and shake it upside-down, maybe take a vacuum attachment to it gently if you want to be weird. Pick the rocks/debris out and keep the fins straight and it will be fine.

Turbo will whine, burn oil, and ultimately screech or sound like there's rocks tumbling around in it before/when it goes. If you pull the inlet tube off or the downpipe off you can feel the compressor wheels and check them for movement. Movement is bad, mmkay.

When a turbo goes it can go badly, and leave metal in your oil to circulate in your motor. Lots of people replace a blown turbo and another turbo goes shortly after because the metal is still there, then the motor goes shortly after that, it can add up.

Definitely good to practice preventive maintenance and be diligent in checking your turbo if you suspect an issue.

That's what LIC Motorsports (Novato, California, that services my car) says. They say they can almost always trace trouble with a turbo to missed oil changes or running low on oil. I'm going there today for my OC at a 3,750-mile interval on this almost-150,000-mile LGT :-)

consistant oil changes, generally if you change your oil at a good OCI (Oil Change Interval) you will be good.

They say they can almost always trace trouble with a turbo to missed oil changes or running low on oil.

I absolutely agree. Check your oil often, and top off even if you're adding less then half a quart. If you are at all concerned pull the banjo bolt and/or check for shaft play.

At 150k miles I'd definitly have them do one or both if you're in the dark on these items or the car history.

Archived