LegacyGT.com

Oil change weirdness

Hey guys:

Changed my oil over the weekend (6k miles), and have gouges in my hands to prove it! Anyways, I had the dealer change my oil (Castrol dino) at 3k, at 6k I changed it myself to Mobil 1 (and Subie oil filter). I was able to do it without raising the car. Access to the oil drain plug was fairly easy, though the undershield makes it a little tough for a meatier rachet and socket. Also, access to the oil filter is also pretty easy after moving the little access door out of the way (though I could use a little more room for unscrewing the old filter/screwing the new filter in, hence the hand gouges). The drain plug was SUPER tight, I had to position the rachet such that I could put my foot on it and push with my leg, I was able to break the plug loose that way.

However, here's the issue: I let the oil drain for ~ 10 minutes or so (till it was just dripping out), then removed the old oil filter. When I got it about 75% of the way off, a substantial amount of oil drained out all over my hand and my parking spot (I'd say perhaps 1/4 - 1/2 quart). Dunno if anyone else had this issue or not, I don't recall any mention of it, so FYI, and put your drain pan under your filter before removing it!

Luckily for me, the engine was cold, I just ran it for 5 minutes or so before draining the old oil, otherwise, the oil draining issue would've been extraordinarily painful.

I guess it can catch you off guard if you haven't done it before, but the filter is straight up and down, how is the oil going to get out without being pumped out...

My drain plug was on just as tight. I was shaking the whole car trying to wrench it off. Finally it just happened, but it certainly had me double checking to make sure it was the correct bolt.

Hey guys:

... then removed the old oil filter. When I got it about 75% of the way off, a substantial amount of oil drained out all over my hand and my parking spot (I'd say perhaps 1/4 - 1/2 quart).

I'd worry if that *Didn't* happen.

That is normal for changing the oil on a Subaru :)

Yup, my previous Forester did it as well as my LGT wagon. I position the drip pan under the filter, slowly twist until I see oil coming out and let it drain down in a nice thin stream.

I assume the small hole drilled near the filter access port is there to allow any oil that splashed on the inside of the plastic cover to drain out.

Our VW Jetta has a small screw you undo on the oil filter housing (it's reusable) and allow the oil inside the filter to drain out before removing the filter. It's a nice thoughtful touch.

Ken

Use a "cap" style wrench for the oil filter. Makes life easy.

That'll certainly alleviate the hand gouging issue! Have to pick one of those up for the next oil change. Wish we had a nice little drain screw for the excess oil like the VW Jetta as Ken mentioned, that's a nice touch.

You shouldn't even need a wrench, after the first time you take off the oil filter. It should just come off by hand...without tools. Basically, when putting the filter back in, fill it with oil, and put some oil on the rubber seal of the filter, and then, screw the filter back in. Once you feel it's tight, just turn another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, and it should be good to go. As for the drain plug, the crushwasher should be taking care of most everything...and then, you tighten that up with a wrench...nothing overboard. Start the car, after feeding the engine with oil, check for any leaks, and clean up.

Then, at your next oil change, get under there, when the car is cold/warm, and unscrew the filter with your hand...it should be that simple. Good luck.

i.

It's not a tightness issue with the filter, I was able to remove the old filter by hand, but rather an issue such that there isn't a lot of room for loosening/tightening the filter by hand, resulting (at least for me) in a gouged up hand.

BTW, I forgot to 'prime' the new filter with fresh oil before installing, didn't think about it till everything was all buttoned up and ready to go. Didn't seem to be an issue though. FWIW, I've never pre-filled an oil filer in the past (done almost all my own oil changes on every car I've owned), though the Subie is only the second car I've had that had an oil filter that was mounted in a way that would even allow pre filling.

Yeah, I hear ya with the space down there...there isn't much. As for the filter, even the box that the subaru filter comes in, states that some oil should be added to the filter, before putting it back up...oh well, we live and learn, right. Later.

Yeah, the heatshields can do a number on your hand when you're trying to remove an overly tightened filter.

One thing that I haven't been able to do is tighten the filter the one full-turn after making contact as indicated on the filter. I can get about 3/4, but given how tight it is, I'm reluctant to break the gasket seal with any more torque.

Ken

quick Vermonter solution that I use to avoid the scortching hot oil coming out of the filter, just grab a flat head screwdriver and punch it straight though the filter (since its going to be thrown out any way) and let it drain. Then just use the screwdriver through the filter to unscrew it :D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived