LegacyGT.com

98 GT Transmission swap?

Hi guys, second post here. I was looking for just someone to point me in the right direction. I have a 4EAT 98 Legacy, I am aware that it's pretty much plug and play, but I was wondering what exactly I needed? and where would I go about getting it installed. thanks.

Alright, I have a 98 SUS. Nothing is wrong with the tranny, I just want to swap it to a 5 speed manual from one of the stock 5 speeds. I need pointed in the right direction of what I need and where I should have it done. thanks

I just want to swap it to a 5 speed manual from one of the stock 5 speeds.
the best way to approach this is to buy a wrecked 5 speed car, SUS or outback, 96 - 99. (GT will work but your speedo would be off.)

that way you are guaranteed to have all the parts you need.

you could also buy a legacy L, or brighton, or LS, but the final drive ratio is different

and that wold affect your acceleration (worse) and fuel mileage (better).

or buy what you need piece meal at www-car-part.com

or better yet a pull-a-part yard.

What you need to swap a 5MT into a 4EAT car is as follows:

- Transmission (and any sensors that come attached to it)

- Shifter and shift linkeage

- Center console piece around shifter and boot (optional, purely cosmetic)

- Rear Driveshaft (2 pieces)

- Rear Driveshaft Mounts (2 total)

- Rear Differential

- Rear CV Axles (Personally I used the ones already in my car, but I heard youre supposed theyre different between the 4EAT and 5MT. Just check and see if the part numbers are the same somewhere.

- Clutch and Flywheel (flywheel on the tranny should be good, but you should replace the clutch with a new one for sure. Consider resurfacing the flywheel if you use the stock one)

- Brake and Clutch pedal assembly

- Hydraulic Master/Slave cylinder

- Both hoses that go between the master cylinder and the tranny. (Consider replacing these with new ones. Mine popped and I was stranded last month.)

- Full engine/tranny/cabin wiring harness and ECU from donor car (explained below)

Now speaking from experience, if youre going to pull the whole tranny, you might as well take out the motor and heres why: The 4EAT and 5MT have different ECUs and different wiring harnesses. The 4EAT also has a shit load of extra crap that wont fit with the new pedals and wont let the 5MT work perfectly. You NEED the ECU and it will plug right in, but expect a wiring nightmare if you use the 4EAT harness thats already in the car. Swapping the 5MT harness in would have been so much easier than trying to ghetto rig the stock harness that I am really considering pulling the motor and tranny myself JUST to replace the wiring harness (and spark plugs while im at it haha).

If you take the motor and tranny out together it will be loads easier (unless you have a full lift. Im talking with a cherry picker). Then prop the motor on an engine stand and check all the vac lines and replace the plugs and wires. This is a good time to do the headgaskets if they need it. There are some damn good write ups I found, a few of which are here on LGT.

To recoup some money I sold my 4EAT alone for $300. My buddy put it in for the guy for another $300 and it worked fine. So if your tranny is still in good condition, sell it.

Archived