LegacyGT.com

Questions about Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (and other questions....)

RuhRoh

So I've had my Legacy GT Limited Wagon 5-speed for almost five years and 75,000 miles now, and since I have been running dedicated snow tires during the winter, I am only now reaching the point that it's time to be rid of the hated RE92s.

(Actually, I didn't hate them that much, but since this is my daily driving familymobile complete with car seat in the back seat I don't drive it as hard as I would have when I was younger).

Anyway. Since I run dedicated snow tires, I thought I would go with a summer performance tire, albeit one biased less toward absolute grip and more toward noise control and ride comfort. My 2001 VW GTI, for example, rides Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires, and I'm quite pleased with the balance of dry/wet grip and noise/ride comfort (alas, the Contis are too expensive in this size -- over $150/tire).

I also have a four-year-old, however, which means I need to control my costs somewhat. So I want also something cheap.

Some internet research brought up the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, and it seemed to fit my needs -- high performance summer tire, reviews are calling it quiet and nice riding, and only $91/tire. But when I checked it out at the Tire Rack, I got a warning noting that the load rating was 91 vs. the 87 for the OEM RE92, and that a change in the load rating like that could lead to a harsher ride.

So. Does anyone have real world experience with the Hankook compared to the RE92? I don't want a super harsh riding tire, nor do I want a noisy one.

If this one doesn't pan out, I'm considering a Nitto NeoGen (about the same price, and while it's an all-season it's closer to the summer performance tire envelope), the Falken Ziex ZE912, and even the Continental ContiExtreme DWS (although that one likely would replace the winter tires since it gets such good reviews for snow performance).

Thoughts? Advice? Other suggestions?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the new sumitomo HTR A/S tire....very inexpensive in 225/45/17. Almost too new for reviews.

I like the price, but as you said, I couldn't find any reviews. Know anything about these? I like the price, but am hesitant about pulling the trigger on something completely unknown....

I just got a set of 225/40R18s Hankooks installed today and am going to pick them up from the tire shop. I will let you know a review when I get them installed this weekend on the car.

Monk

Thanks -- keep me posted.

Has anyone racked up some miles on these? Really considering them, but I'm a little concerned about wear.

Anyone that has previously been running Falken 912 or General UHPs that could give let us know how they compare?

Well, just went ahead and ordered a set from the Tire Rack.

Only I ordered a set of Continental ContiExtreme DW tires.

The salesman at the TireRack warned that the Ventus, being a directional tire and mounted on a powerful all-wheel-drive car, would require very regular rotation (every 3,000 miles, he said) to keep the tread from wearing unevenly and becoming excessively loud.

I'll write up a post of the Contis when they arrive instead.

Ruh-Roh! Good luck with the ContiExtreme DW, I am curious to hear what you think of them.

I got my tires mounted and balanced last week and finally go them installed on Saturday. I have heard the same thing about directional tires. The part that does not bother me is I am already in the habit to rotate tires at oil change intervals, a.k.a. 3,000 miles.

I will say that the Hankooks are easily just as quiet as my RE92s were and day night difference in noise when compared to my Pole Position S03s. I am really looking forward to testing their wet performance. Turn in feels good and the ride has changed about as much as can be expected going from 17s to 18s. I am really enjoying them so far!

I can reply back once I get some more miles on them.

Monk

Ruh-Roh! Good luck with the ContiExtreme DW, I am curious to hear what you think of them.

Got them mounted today and proceeded to drive about an hour on a combination of freeways and suburban streets. My daughter had fallen asleep in the back (hence my hour-long trip) so no high-speed cornering.

First impression isn't the best -- the tires are, contrary to my expectations, pretty loud. Louder than the worn Icebear snow tires I just took off.

Mind you this is the first impression, and things may very well change once they get scrubbed in a little more. Hope so. I'll post up more when I know more.

• 2 weeks later...
Got them mounted today and proceeded to drive about an hour on a combination of freeways and suburban streets. My daughter had fallen asleep in the back (hence my hour-long trip) so no high-speed cornering.

First impression isn't the best -- the tires are, contrary to my expectations, pretty loud. Louder than the worn Icebear snow tires I just took off.

Mind you this is the first impression, and things may very well change once they get scrubbed in a little more. Hope so. I'll post up more when I know more.

Any more feedback on these? Since Avon appears to be out of the automotive tire business I need to find a new set and I'm considering these.

Any more feedback on these? Since Avon appears to be out of the automotive tire business I need to find a new set and I'm considering these.

You know, the jury is still out -- but for a strange reason.

I actually ordered two sets of these tires ( edit: I'm now talking about the CONTINENTAL CONTIEXTREME DW), one for my 2001 VW GTI GLX and one for the Legacy. The GTI's are 205/55-16 and the Legacy's are 215/45-17.

For some reason, the same tires are behaving very differently on the different cars: they are quite nice on the GTI, but are very loud on the Legacy. I'm actually going to call the Tire Rack today since the difference between the two applications is so extreme I'm beginning to wonder if there may be a defective tire on the Legacy.

Outside of the noise, the ride is firm but not harsh and the grip is far superior to the old RE92s. Took a few offramps at speed, and they gripped without even a hint of a howl.

So I like them on the GTI, but right now I'm not liking them on the Legacy since that's my daily driver. Will post back when I know more.

ok well i just had the Hankooks installed and i don't know if my Falcon tires were defective or what but there is a huge difference in noise.

i can't give a great opinion on how they handle or heavy rain ect as i have not had a chance to try it.

i will say full marks for how quiet they are and that was my main concern

Ordered and received a set of 225/40/18 and were installed on my brand new Rota Tarmac3's but unfortunately I received a bad rim (it is bent).

I will also report back once I receive my replacement rim and install them on the car.

I am very surprised that members are complaining about noise, the reviews I read on these tires raved about their quietness and comfort (my prime requirement). I wanted the general UHP's but there was a nationwide shortage in the size I was looking for so went with these instead for the sake of getting summer tires on ASAP and remove the winters.

Hopefully mine will be quiet...

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered the Hankooks from Tire Rack. For $116 ea. AND a $50 rebate, I'll take a chance. They'll be going on my 18" Prodrive PFF7's. I get my tires rotated when I get my oil changed every 3k miles, so that's not an issue. And road noise isn't an issue either as I can't hear anything over my Stromung exhaust anyhow...

Been running on the Hankooks for about 2 yrs now. They replaced Toyo FZs and were the much quieter option for summer tires for me. Price was a point as well. I have nothing negative to say about these tires, just that there is merit in rotating them frequently. I go every 4,000 mi. they're "sticky" and they handle rain/water like a champ.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived