LegacyGT.com

Took first spin new 05 Outback Turbo

vader1

I have been put off a few months in my plan to pick one up because, well, I have an engagement ring, wedding and honeymoon to pay for first. I was out with a friend today and took one for a spin for the first time and I was really impressed wiith certain aspects of the car.

The power was great, especially first gear from a roll. Interior was great. Handling was acceptable for such a tall heavy car. Shifter was VERY lackluster. I know there is a shortthrow shifter option from the dealer, but is there an aftermarket option that is better or cheaper?

I have determined that I will pick up an 06 Outback turbo limited in most likely, October.

This is to be my do-it-all car to go with the summer toy. I was hoping to find a nice driving car that offer fun, decent styling, safety, utility, and boat towing with preferably a five speed. This is the ONLY car I have found that offers all and still is capable of fair milage if you lay off the boost.

Opinions on curing a little body roll are welcome too.

Sway bars...Cusco, Whiteline, JDM GT bars...for the suspension.

Kartboy, Cobb, STi STS...for the shifting.

Gas...well...life moves on, when considering a turbo vehicle. Good luck with the marriage/honeymooen. Better save money for the mods BEFORE getting married...hehe.

I'm enjoying my Outback XT. Shifter's okay, it's average and can apparently be improved using Subaru's short shift kit or shifters from Cobb, etc. Shifter bushings are also available to make the shift action more precise. I'm okay with it as-is.

It does have a bit of body roll. Other members suggest that a stiffer rear sway bar does wonders. I feel the car's under-damped, so would love firmer shocks, but the rear sway gets you half way there and is inexpensive and DIY so well worth trying.

Car's very well balanced and feels lighter than it is--it's not a heavy car either, at only around 3500 lbs. It's quiet and feels refined.

I really enjoy mine.

Archived