LegacyGT.com

When you turn the AC off-

Throttlejockey

[quote name='Throttlejockey']Do you get the cool outside air? Mine doesn't seem to be cool at all and is actually warm. With the AC off does it automatically go to outside vent? (obviously this is with the recirc button on outside air)[/quote] I noticed. I figured it was coming from the engine bay where the air is warm?

I posted about this same thing a few days ago too. Its very weird, its like its just sucking in warm engine bay air so no mater how cold you set the dial, its allways like blowing 80 degree air. I also noticed the HVAC likes to do some weird things, like change where air is blowing, both in auto and non auto modes. Its kind of annoying because I have to check it often to make sure it hasn't changed anything on me (even in manual mode). I like the idea of the dual zone climate control, but it seems the software running this stuff isn't working right, I hope subaru can fix it. But its so random when it happens, when you bring it in they probably wont be able to replicate it :(

[quote name='kanoswrx']I posted about this same thing a few days ago too. Its very weird, its like its just sucking in warm engine bay air so no mater how cold you set the dial, its allways like blowing 80 degree air.[/quote] Right, like it will only vary the fan speed and not air temp without AC. I noticed that when it was cool outside the fans were still blowing warm air. Doesn't really bother me, I just rolled my windows down, but I'd like for it to work correctly if needed....

When I first started using this feature I didn't like the fact that it changes from inside to outside. I have fixed that, I don't put it in Auto. If I would have had to pay extra for this feature, Automatic climate control. I would have not opted for that feature. May be the dual control is a ok feature. When I'm by my self in the car I adjust both temps to get the car comfortable. I can see the dual being handy when driving north or south on a sunny day in the winter. The Automatic HVAC might be more of a benefit in the winter. Only time will tell.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just remember.....Vent intakes are usually in the cowl, between the hood and the bottom of the windshield. Also in this area is the intercooler. When if sitting will expell heat out the scoop (and under the hood too) just to be sucked into the vent intake.

There seems to be a switch at a certain temperature depending on where you have your climate control set before you shut it off. If you shut it off and it's set to cold, then you get cold outside air, if it's warm then warm air. I haven't played with it enough yet. I am talking about when you shut the entire unit off. Also, you can press recirc to stop the outside air from blowing in when the unit is off. Am I confusing people? Sorry if I am.

Dr Zevil, I am pretty sure I understand what you are saying. We were talking about was when we just use the blower, like say the fan level is set to 3 and the temp is set to 65 on both sides, it will still blow hot air. Even if you set it to 65 and turn the whole systems off, a little hot air still blows through.

[quote name='kanoswrx']Dr Zevil, I am pretty sure I understand what you are saying. We were talking about was when we just use the blower, like say the fan level is set to 3 and the temp is set to 65 on both sides, it will still blow hot air. Even if you set it to 65 and turn the whole systems off, a little hot air still blows through.[/quote] Same here.

Okay, I've reread this and I want to make sure that I can replicate this on the demo car... 1) If you turn the Auto A/C off AND turn on outside air, you immediately get warm air, even if the outside air is cooler than the inside air? 2) You're not able to STOP air from coming in through the HVAC vents, from outside, even if you set the system to recirc AND then turn off the system? If 1) is true, then you must be pulling air through the vent system from the engine compartment... there's no other explanation for it. If 2) is true, then the default position, if the HVAC system is off, is for the system to open outside air. That just doesn't sound like good engineering or it could be that something is wrong or froggy with the HVAC logic. I'll definitely check this out on the next drive. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

on many cars you can't TOTALLY stop air from circulating/coming in, even with the fan off--thats not that unusual. But this is the first car I have ever had where you seemed to get warm air even with the "heat" off and the temp set to its coolest, and that IS annoying. I did notice the other day when I got in to an already warmed car after some shopping that it blew fairly warm at first, then blew cooler after a few minutes--maybe its a heat sink/buildup sort of deal in that siuation. But it'd still be nice to get cool outside air w/out a/c. I wonder if its because of the basically solid plastic liner behind the wipers, whereas most cars have some sort of perforated deal. I think in many cars the air being brought in is from the windshield ducts or whatever, but with the subie that wouldn't be the case it would seem withthat liner or whatever in there?

Could this be a faulty heater core air valve? Have we tried this with a "cold" (coolant wise) engine on a cool day? I get kinda warmish air immediately after AC is turned off on several cars.....the AC coils become hot after the compressor is off.

[quote name='scubie02']. But it'd still be nice to get cool outside air w/out a/c. [/quote] Has anyone had the chance to run the car in cool conditions however, bearing in mind you guys have only had summer with your cars, I've had winter, but drink means I have the memory of a goldfish>

As for air blowing when everything is off, most cars do that. In the Legacy GT its a very small amount that you normally wouldn't notice, I am not worried about that. Here is the deal, when you start up a cold engine (has been off for over 6 hours) and you use just the blower and are using outside air its cool (if thats what you have it set at) until the engine warms up. Once the engine warms up, no mater how cold you try to set it (65 is as low as it goes) it still blows warm air, noticeably hotter then the air outside. So if you want to test this in another LGT, drive it around awhile (atleast 10-15 minutes) and then turn on the blower sucking in outside air (not recirculating) set the temp to 65 and feel the air coming in through the vents, it will be warm air.

Archived