LegacyGT.com

AC question for 90 legacy

So I replaced the broken AC compressor in my 90 legacy and filled it with the correct refrigerant but it still blows hot air....where do I look from here? Could there be a clog in the line? Is there a vent that is not opening, if so, where do I look?

Thanks

Start by checking the clutch, then check for leaks in the lines. A leak in the line will be hard to detect. The easiest way to check would be to fill the system again after you filled it the first time and see if it takes more refrigerant.

When you say that you filled it with the proper refrigerant, what exactly did you use? If you used R134-A (The common refrigerant found at most auto parts stores and modern vehicles) then the cooling system will not be as cold or work as efficiently as with the original gas used in 1990, which is no longer made.

If it has a leak there is refrigerant that you can buy that is black light reactive, but I wouldn't use a bunch since I've heard of it clogging systems before, but it will show you exactly where the leak is if that's the problem.

And yeah, R12's gonna be hard to find since they're not legally allowed to sell it to people who dont have a certification for it, but it can be done. Not sure if you got it switched over or not.

• 2 months later...
It looks like I'm still on R12. I recharged the AC in our 96 Honda myself with a can from Walmart. I checked the fittings on the Legacy but they're different, so I'm assuming it's never been converted. Looks like I'll have to have a shop do it.

Nah, you can change the fittings and stuff yourself with a retrofit kit from Autozone for like $40. Comes with freon and the fittings. Buy a set of high and low gauges from Harbor Freight for another $40 and rent the vacuum pump for free from Autozone. You'll save yourself at least a couple hundred bucks if you do it yourself.

Archived