LegacyGT.com

05 subaru legacy 2.5 gt (auto) or 08 mazdaspeed3

Mpho5643

I was looking into buying a used car for my first car, been into some different cars and have a lot in mind. The car I was looking into is a satin white legacy and it goes for 11,000 with 93,000 on the odometer. Auto transmission. Rear spoiler and all. Love the look, I'm 21. Is that a good price? I was wondering how realiable the turbos are on these legacys. Are there certain kind of things to and procedures to check for to make the turbo last longer. Any suggests?

For the same price, I was also consider looking into 2008 mazda speed3 with 90,000

Make me change my mind and what are your guyss opinions and your experiences. Thank you so much. Lost in thoughts. Been a fan of subaru since forever

+1

I love my 07 LGT and 13 3.6R. My Impreza 2.5i was nice, but no power.

Comparing a LGT to a M3S? Legacy is more of a sporty luxury car compared.

Either will be fun to drive, but with my commute I want the AWD.

You should be comparing a WRX and M3S. If you do that, might as well go for the STI.

If it was 4 years ago, would have picked up the Auto WRX 2.5 GT for the wife.

My immediate family has had Subaru's since 1983. I've converted at least a dozen friends and other extended/out-law family over the years. I've had I think 6 different Subies now. I've had plenty of other vehicles too, but keep coming back to Scooby.

The Mazdaspeed3 doesn't really compare to the LGT. The Mazdaspeed6 does, but more rare and they eat turbos every 30,000 miles.... my buddy has one now on its 3rd blower, granted you can blow them up on a tuned Scooby also, or even a stock one. Got to look after oil filtration, EGTs, and cooling - much like any turbo vehicle including the big diesels (I also have a Powerstroke 7.3 yee-haw!!)

Thanks guys I just came across another off for a 05 legacy except this one is manual transmission and it goes for 10700 with 127,000 miles on it. What so you guys think? What should I check for for inspections. So in my opinion it's either going with the white auto or manual. I would really love the manual but either one.

Also I've heard stuff about the banjo bolt? To remove the filter inside do you guys do that with yours or just replace it every so 30,000 miles?

Thank you for your opinion

127k, check to see if turbo has been replaced (and how many times, if at all). Depending on how it was driven and if the person was on top of oil changes, it's it's the OEM it may be at the end of it's life.

Re: banjo, you'll get some mixed feelings on this. Most of what I've read about people pulling them out or inspecting, usually clean since people here change their oil regularly. Some people pull it out all together, others say you should keep it in to filter the oil before it hits the turbo. The newer models don't have it so there you go. Mines still in, I should give it a check for piece of mind.

I have a 05 lgt and a friend had a Mazda speed 6(not the same but close) before and the biggest thing we ever noticed was the amount of aftermarket parts available and knowledge out there. If you plan on tuning I would check your local area and see what's available. I know some shops that can tune mazdas but have way more experience with subaru. Since it is your first car(iirc) I would go with the legacy because of the knowledge base that is available. Compare some of the Mazda websites to the Subaru sites and its really not a hard choice.

But most of all drive both and whichever gets your blood going the best, buy it and don't look back.

A very knowledgeable, ex-race car driver friend of mine has had several WRXs and now drives a Mazdaspeed6. It is set up really well on the chassis, but he had to throw a bunch of parts at it to handle the way he wanted. They are not that common of a car, and share the turbo with the turbo CX-5.... it is an under-sized turbo for the car, and literally may lunch itself in 30,000 miles.

Now..... Subaru's have been known in the past 8-9 years to destroy turbo's and engines (yes, the banjo filter thing was/is a crappy design, period!). But me, gimme an AWD EJ flat-4 over most others all day.

What are your guys opinion on this price 2005 wrx for 10600 with 126,000 miles good or bad? Paying fair or too much... Is it good to be looking into an 05 wrx or go with a newer year 2.5i I have a budget of around 9-12k at most. Ideas please, thank you confused. Either legacy or wrx

well for one thing, the insurance on a WRX is much higher. For some reason insurance companies don't consider the LGT to be a racecar like the WRX and thus charge the same for insurance as the non-turbo 2.5i. Also consider that a WRX has crap for an interior (less roomier as well) and is basically only worth getting for the turbo (In my opinion, which is one reason a lot of us pick a legacy over an impreza/WRX). That price you mentioned for an 05 wrx w/126k is too high for my taste.

If you do plan on the newer 2.5i route, I suggest getting one that is certified pre-owned as it comes with the 7-year/100k mile powertrain warranty provided by subaru themselves (not some shitty secondhand dealer warranty). here's a link to all available CPO subarus between the 08-09 years:

http://cpo.subaru.com/vehicles/certified-pre-owned.htm?model=Legacy&zipcode=80443&radius=All&year=%5B2005%20TO%202009%5D

Honestly, I would never buy a WRX. besides the engine to me it's honestly kind of a POS haha. It'd have to be an STi for the 6-speed tranny and nicer interior, for me at least.

I'd say find an older LGT like 05-06.

How soon do you NEED the car? If you have time, just save up a bit more and keep looking for a GT or WRX that you want. If you are considering a WRX, I wouldn't bother with a 2.5i. 100k miles on our Impreza 2.5i, wife loved the car but was over the lack of power. She wanted an auto WRX, which they don't make any more. "Settled" on a 2013 3.6R Limited with everything but nav, she couldn't be happier. Then she drives my 07 LGT, and loves the power and the way it handles.

Drive a WRX, LGT then try a 2.5. I won't be going back to a 4 banger anytime soon. :D

Thank you guys for your feedback. I needed someone to reassure my choice and I'm going to have to go with 2.5 gt. it all comes down to auto transmission or manual. I like both but wouldn't the transmission give out quicker for an automatic? Or it all comes down on how you treat it. Manual seems more better. Let me know if I'm wrong or it goes both ways because they wouldn't have made an automatic in the first place if they knew it can't be handled. Basically it all comes down to the driver? And how you much you red line it..

Most will say manual. I'd go with a manual, but my situation doesn't really allow for one at this point. Personally I don't have an issue with the automatic, esp since I can still "shift" in it, which is nice for mountain driving. The manual will be stronger and quicker shifts, auto holds boost longer.

Well, with a manual you have to remember the clutch is a wear item; eventually it'll need to be replaced.

My 2.5GT turned out to be a money pit; I didn't know about the banjo bolt oil filter and it killed my engine/turbo after owning it for only 1 month(I think I've only floored it once in that time, but it ended up dying on my way home from school). Though, "good" news is it's now rocking a EJ207 that does not drink a sip of oil.

As far as handling goes, my only complaint is the LGT has a lot of body roll, but still manages to stick to the road well. I went with the LGT(wagon) simply because it has more space to carry friends and things for recreational activities.

Having 3 friends that have MS3's, keeping it short and sweet, Yeah they're fun, torque steering kills it once you start modding, and the ride/interior/ build quality sucks! Legacys on the other hand are a blast at stage 2 and kill the corners and straights with not much moding required. Depends on what you wanna do, have fun in a straight line, or have fun on the curves and a straight line?

Drive it, see how you like it. Do you need/want auto vs manual? Do you need the space, do you want the heated seats? Do you like the idea of a hatch? I do personally love both cars, the MS3 will handle better and feel tighter stock for stock. AWD vs FWD? I can't live without my AWD especially with the weather changes around here.. plus torque steer sucks.. but is fun at the same time.

Mazdas are still solid cars in my opinion.. in fact, just upgraded the wife's/family car to a cx-9 and it's the tits...

• 4 weeks later...
well for one thing, the insurance on a WRX is much higher. For some reason insurance companies don't consider the LGT to be a racecar like the WRX and thus charge the same for insurance as the non-turbo 2.5i.

This is the biggest steal of the 2005-2009 Legacy GT. It comes with 243 hp/241 lb-ft of torque and can be *easily* modified up into the high 200s to near 300 at the crank, yet the insurance is *half* that of a WRX because hooning boy racers haven't given the LGT the nightmare insurance background history that they have with the WRX.

Archived