2011 LGT Just got tuned by COBB SoCal ^_^

Nadal4Hand

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy crap that's a lot of torque...

but are those numbers WHP?

kind of weird to see stock being 263 hp

Nope, those seem like wHP and wTQ. The scaling is always difficult to use as a comparison.

Some of the engines are stronger than others. Stage II does seem to normalize the engine performance.

http://www.efilogics.com/dyno/graph.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&rpm=1&sl=1&sln=1&runid1=1121&rgb1=000000255&runid2=1122&rgb2=204000000&runid3=964&rgb3=000153000&runid4=965&rgb4=153000255

Nope, those seem like wHP and wTQ. The scaling is always difficult to use as a comparison.

Some of the engines are stronger than others. Stage II does seem to normalize the engine performance.

Are you talking just about the stage 1 OTS and custom stage 1 numbers? Because I can't believe a stock car with roughly 265 crank HP makes 263 at the wheels with an optimistic 15% AWD drivetrain loss.

EDO performance says 18% drivetrain loss is probably near accurate for our cars. Either the actual results of the dyno numbers have basically been divided by 0.82 to convert the whp #'s to crank hp, or the dyno correction is waaaaaaay off. Either way, we always come back to the point that if you're doing all your runs on the same dyno, who cares what the number is, it's the change interval that matters.

Are you talking just about the stage 1 OTS and custom stage 1 numbers? Because I can't believe a stock car with roughly 265 crank HP makes 263 at the wheels with an optimistic 15% AWD drivetrain loss.

Look at my post below. EFI Logics heart beaker Mustang dyno. Stock wHP is 258HP.

EDO performance says 18% drivetrain loss is probably near accurate for our cars. Either the actual results of the dyno numbers have basically been divided by 0.82 to convert the whp #'s to crank hp, or the dyno correction is waaaaaaay off. Either way, we always come back to the point that if you're doing all your runs on the same dyno, who cares what the number is, it's the change interval that matters.

I believe these numbers are to the wheels. :)

Edit: Was that on 91 octane?

Yep, 91 octane and car is stock.

Alright, maybe the source of my confusion is what people mean by wheel hp. If these numbers are estimated crank HP but it is read from the wheels, I guess I can see how people would interpret that as WHP.

I just know that in my past car community, WHP meant actual power at the wheels and it was dead-on accurate when you took manufacturer crank HP and factored in drivetrain loss. 8G 6MT Accords consistently dynoing at 240-245 at the wheels. Honda states 270 at the crank. Makes perfect sense with 10-12% FWD loss. With these 5G LGTs, the numbers rarely makes sense. The ones with 220 at the wheels I can believe. Maybe the ones that reach 230 if the car is unusually strong. But I have doubts about anything beyond that. Even if they are a bit off from what Subaru claims, it would have to be a hell of an underrating to make up the difference.

In the end, yes, using the same dyno is key since that will show gains between modifications. It just would be nice to know if these are actual at the wheel measurements or just an estimation at the crank. In my opinion, crank hp (or an estimation of it) is almost useless since the power at the road is really what is moving you.

Sorry to derail this thread. Just trying to make some sense of it all.

I believe these numbers are to the crank. Not sure how they calculated it out but I agree with you that it doesn't really matter cause I will take my car back here for future tunes. :)

Yep, 91 octane.

These are very nice TQ gains over stock and OTS. :wub:

How many pulls on the dyno? Any road tuning after the dyno?

These are very nice TQ gains over stock and OTS. :wub:

How many pulls on the dyno? Any road tuning after the dyno?

Wasn't present when they were doing the pulls so can't say how many pulls. No road tuning but my "butt" dyno on the way home felt good. :lol:

So I emailed Ronnie from Cobb SoCal regarding the dyno output and this is what he wrote:

"Our dyno, actually all dynos read by wheel horsepower. It's hard to get crank numbers unless you pull the motor out and run it on an engine dyno. Otherwise everyone just can have some kind of estimate."

Just a Stage 1 tune:

Stock:

HP - 263

TQ - 259

Stage 1 (OTS):

HP - 264

TQ - 295

Stage 1 (Custom tune):

HP - 265

TQ - 326

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8136/20120221141633682.jpg

I am VERY happy with the results. :lol:

I'm happy for your gains, but a stock 2011 Subaru LGT is rated for 265 HP, 258 TQ. I find it hard to believe that Subaru would be underrating the engine by 15-20% from factory stock because that's what would be needed to generate those stock numbers that you got after drivetrain loss.

^^^^

Why so hard to believe? There's a print out right there!

They may be under-rating it quite obviously because they want the crown jewel STi to have the highest published numbers.

Car makers do this all the time.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2011-legacy-gt-stage-1-calibration-efi-logics-161341.html

EFI has maintained that there are huge gains to be made with a catback on both the 2010 and 2011, and that with a tune with just a catback, even more gains.

Do you have a catback?

Also:

The HP on the 2011 is crazy. I looked at the numbers from the 2010 that EFI replaced the turbo on and the bone stock 2010 was 214whp/214wtq.

The 2011 with just a SPT catback is 245whp/232wtq?

This is awesome. What is going to happen with a downpipe? How about an intake? Both? I am getting Goosebumps.

Someone does mention that there seems to be some wide variation in the 2010 even running bone stock though... as much as a 20-30WHP difference, so maybe that's all there is to it.

Wish I had a 2010/2011 now. :(

So I emailed Ronnie from Cobb SoCal regarding the dyno output and this is what he wrote:

"Our dyno, actually all dynos read by wheel horsepower. It's hard to get crank numbers unless you pull the motor out and run it on an engine dyno. Otherwise everyone just can have some kind of estimate."

Sounds like their dyno is a little off then :rolleyes:, sorry, but I don't attribute those numbers to wild power fluctuations from engine to engine that are more commonly seen in something like a Nissan GTR, and I certainly don't think you have 0% drivetrain loss. Those numbers are great for a relative comparison for your gains, but they're horribly inaccurate whp numbers. There's just no way, sorry, I wouldn't go around telling people that's what you're putting down to the wheels.

Did he give you some kind of explanation for the fact that those numbers show an impossible 0% drivetrain loss?

^^^^

Why so hard to believe? There's a print out right there!

They may be under-rating it quite obviously because they want the crown jewel STi to have the highest published numbers.

Car makers do this all the time.

I've driven the LGT and STI back to back, many, many times. They aren't under-rating the LGT compared to the STI, especially stock vs. stock :lol:.

Archived