LegacyGT.com

replacement key fobs

so..I have searched the forums and I find lots of threads about key fobs but cannot find out for sure if the newer (2005, 2009+) fobs will work on a 2000 legacy.

Does anyone know?

I just got an older 2000 legacy GT and the key fob is really awful!

Thanks,

Lee

• 2 years later...

Asking a totally noob question as I have never owned a car with a FOB before. Just bought a 2005 Legacy GT and only one FOB came with it. Would like to get a backup and if I can avoid paying dealer prices and do it myself, great. Please answer like I'm a complete idiot. I know it ain't rocket science, but it's totally new to me. Brandon says I can get a replacement on eBay. Any FOB? Specifically Subaru? And then when I get it can I program it myself or does the dealer have to do that?

Along the lines of knowing nothing about these things (I feel like I've lived in a cave my whole life with these questions), are there different choices of FOBs or I get the one specific to my car? If there are multiple choices, what do you recommend? I don't care about fancy, I just care about reliable and as compact as possible. My Subaru FOB has lock, unlock, unlock trunk, and panic.

Thanks for the 'FOB 101' lesson!

buy one off ebay.

your year is a little newer than i'm used to, but generally speaking if you buy one that looks like yours it will work.

you will have to program it to the system.

check out this site to learn about your system:

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

and welcome to the party.

• 1 month later...

I figured I'd bump this up, but my father bought me the tear-drop fob, but it has a trunk release on it.

I tried the way I saw on YT by turning the key 10 times and holding the lock button till it honks. It doesn't honk. I'm assuming that I have to follow the tear-drop set up by clicking all the buttons to follow the code? Man, did these Subbie engineers work a little too hard on this or what?

Edit: Okay, sorry guys but I figured it out. I went off the procedure for the car, not the fob, and that worked. Now I'm good! Thanks for the links!

• 3 years later...

Archived