LegacyGT.com

Front Brakes Only?

panamajack

If the BBK is made properly, it will not shift bias...

Most people on here are not taking the time to figure out what they are doing, and most kits are not made properly in the first place. :(

That being said, I personally feel that this car is already biased too far forward and would like to buy a kit that shifts it to the rear a little. And it is possible to have larger rotors in a kit and still bias more to the rear. It is all based on piston diameter and distance from the axle...

I personally upgraded the pads at all four corners to keep the bias the same. I did contemplate SS-Ss in the rear for their greater coef of Fric. That would shift bias to the rear.

Ted

:spin:

$$$ is always an issue. Yes, you are right that it would most likely upset the brake balance.

I've been thinking about bitting the bullet and getting the rear Rotora kit. however, the matching rear Rotora kit isn't only slightly bigger than the stock one. Its 11.8 or so, but uses a 2-piston caliper.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

That being said, I personally feel that this car is already biased too far forward and would like to buy a kit that shifts it to the rear a little.

I agree with you. Its something that might have been put in place for safety reasons. A rear biased car might get a little loose under hard braking which is something that the OEMs surely wouldn't prefer to have.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

The rotora fixed 2-piston rear caliper acts the same, roughly, as the stock 1-piston floating caliper. If you send me the piston size of the stock rear caliper and the rotora rear caliper, I can tell you the torque difference...
:spin:

I agree with you. Its something that might have been put in place for safety reasons. A rear biased car might get a little loose under hard braking which is something that the OEMs surely wouldn't prefer to have.

I definitely agree on this as well..

It is too biased up front for the performance drivers, but if you stand back and take a good look overall with the suspension and such, you can understand why it needs to be the way it is in order for the car to be safe for an AVERAGE US Driver to operate it.

Keefe

you could do something like that and redo the valve system from the Master Cylinder.. it's just that you'll have do and spend a lot of time on (or get a race shop that has done it before to do it since you will be hacking some stuff around).

http://www.boxer4racing.com/ sells the Russell Brake Proportional Valve ($90) which you can come up with redoing your hard lines and such to make it work.

Keefe

With all the recent brake hoopla going on the board lately, I would like to know why would you only "upgrade just your front brakes. Will this not upset the braking balance of your vehicle? It just seems odd to me. :iam:

Because the front brakes perform 85%+ of the cars braking...and the only real way to change the "balance" would be to alter or change the proportioning valve...and...because Brembo North America is too stupid to release the rear kit for the Legacy's that is already available in Japan...otherwise I'd already have it....:D

If the BBK is made properly, it will not shift bias...

Most people on here are not taking the time to figure out what they are doing, and most kits are not made properly in the first place. :(

That being said, I personally feel that this car is already biased too far forward and would like to buy a kit that shifts it to the rear a little. And it is possible to have larger rotors in a kit and still bias more to the rear. It is all based on piston diameter and distance from the axle...

I personally upgraded the pads at all four corners to keep the bias the same. I did contemplate SS-Ss in the rear for their greater coef of Fric. That would shift bias to the rear.

Ted

which pads did you end up with?

Because the front brakes perform 85%+ of the cars braking...and the only real way to change the "balance" would be to alter or change the proportioning valve...and...because Brembo North America is too stupid to release the rear kit for the Legacy's that is already available in Japan...otherwise I'd already have it....:D

What Opie said. Front brakes bear all the brunt of stopping force, since all the vehicle inertia shifts forward during stopping - that is why the front brakes are so much bigger in the first place, and why back in the 80's cars making trasition to discs from drums started with the fronts first. A working example is the Porche 911.....more weight in the rear with rear engine, less need for front bias, brake load is shared by all four fat patches of rubber working to stop the car instead of just the front two....leading to the notoriously short stopping distances for the 911. Hope that helps answer the initial question.

Brian

A working example is the Porche 911.....more weight in the rear with rear engine, less need for front bias, brake load is shared by all four fat patches of rubber working to stop the car instead of just the front two....leading to the notoriously short stopping distances for the 911. Hope that helps answer the initial question.

Brian

That and the fact that the leverage point of a 911 is different as well. It also depends on the front/rear weight distribution as well.. this way it tells you where the pivoting point is for the car..

Keefe

That and the fact that the leverage point of a 911 is different as well. It also depends on the front/rear weight distribution as well.. this way it tells you where the pivoting point is for the car..

Yep...pivot point would be further back in the 911...using the wheelbase center as the reference point. Where would you say the Leg's pivot point is....if you had to pick the point in the car interior +/- 6 inches?

Yep...pivot point would be further back in the 911...using the wheelbase center as the reference point. Where would you say the Leg's pivot point is....if you had to pick the point in the car interior +/- 6 inches?

I would be sitting on it... see my corner balance thread for some details of the corner weights.. that should give you an idea where it would be.

Keefe

Archived