Help choosing wheels

PearlBlueGT

I've just put some winter tires on stock wheels and looking for some 17s

So far choices are these

http://www.customwheelsexpress.com/images/FocalF10.jpg

http://www.aspecwheels.net/MODTECHWHEELS/MOD-488.jpg

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/img/torque_17x9_5x100_e30_73hb_pcsb_1.jpg

http://www.dubzdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/xxr_518_black.jpg

Don't really want to go with 18s as I'd have to buy another set of tires (already have 17 tires) and potholes here are bad and would damage them easily.

spend a little more and get good wheels, enkei, TRMotorsport, konig, to name a few. dont get a piece of shit that will bend from one pothole and probably end up costing more over time. but if they are track wheels there you can cheap out. if theyre going to see street use, get quality.

spend a little more and get good wheels, enkei, TRMotorsport, konig, to name a few. dont get a piece of shit that will bend from one pothole and probably end up costing more over time. but if they are track wheels there you can cheap out. if theyre going to see street use, get quality.

track wheels dont see a lot of use. most racetracks are as smooth as piece of glass. streets are full of cracks, potholes, railroad crossings, etc...

Your logic is astounding.

So you're saying you'd drive lightweight, moderately expensive RPF1s (or similar) on the street and something performance harming like Torques at the track.

My mind is blown.

If he's concerned about wheel longevity, not track performance (as appears to be the case for him) then he has a point...

You hit any pothole hard enough and you'll bend a wheel whether it's a 3 piece BBS LM or a lowly Rota. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is cheaper to replace and which will give you better performance at the track.

climber d hit the nail on the head. 9 times out of 10 a track car has a lot of power. my street car has none, the lighter wheels help and they are relatively strong. also i was just listing the advice i picked up over the years from several of my track junkie friends. i should also mention im talking about TRACK use, yeah for autox go with a light wheel, but i don't think i could ever autox again, just not the same at those low of speeds.

for a street wheel, i care most about availability. with the assumption you will bend 1 or 2, get a wheel that you can buy more of the same later. Also, more spokes will resist bending better as the spaces between the spokes are the most prone to bending.

i choose OZ utralggera 17"x8". light, sturdy, OEM looking, fairly cheap and readily available in case i mess one up.

also want to mention track wheels have a much much greater chance of getting fucked up. rather destroy $3000 wheels or ones you got off craigslist for $500?

lol please. You're much safer on track than you are on a highway with potholes, road ragers, large trucks, lane hogs, teenagers, cell phone texters, ricers, and all that other crap.

Things that are obviously lacking from the US education curriculum:

Application of logical analysis (relevant to this thread)

Financial literacy (not relevant to this thread)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha

He actually has a point, you're not going to hit a pothole and destroy your Rotas at the track. Sure you sacrifice performance, but come on most people probably can't tell the difference either way adding a few pounds to the wheels
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived