LegacyGT.com

Convert Outback XT to Legacy GT?

Here is a question. Could I make a LGT out of a OXT by just changing to coilovers?

No LGTs around. There is no a wagon to our spec within 1000 miles; really.

Is there much difference btwn the two models other than height?

Chucktoo is creating a monster OXT. Is it just a high LGT?

I believe different wheels and tires also. Different brakes (at least in the rear), probably different transmissions (guessing) and has different body cladding. Mostly cosmetic though. Some members have dropped their OBXT's (or at least I know of one for sure).

Smaller brakes and bigger tires are the other "major" mechanical difference, to my knowledge. (In addition to the suspension differences).

I think everything else is cosmetic (?)

-Allen

Smaller brakes = bad

larger fog/driving lights = good - never enough candlewatts on a dark road

suspension = I have a set of the Ksport Coilovers on order

Hmmm.... how bad do we want black/black, 5sp wagon?

I think this has been asked before. I am also pretty sure that this will become a more relevant topic over the next year or so with the elimination of 5MT’s in the Legacy GT wagon.

I own an OBXT and have driven the LGT sedan at length (maybe 500 + miles in all conditions). One easy way to get the OBXT to handle pretty darn close to the stock LGT is to replace the tires. I put Pilot Sport A/S on mine and the handling is now on a par with the stock LGT. Of course a similar upgrade to the LGT would be phenomenal….

As far as acceleration the OBXT and LGT are dead even. It will be ride height and handling that is different.

Mechanical differences are:

LGT has larger front and ventilated rear brake rotors.

OBXT has different sized tires (225/55/17 vs. 215/45/17 for the LGT)

OBXT has a lower final drive ratio than the LGT.

OBXT weighs 65 pound more than a comparably equipped LGT. Xtra weight is in the wheels and fender flares.

Somehow Subaru raised the OBXT 2.6 inches higher than the LGT. Overall height is more but remember much of the increased overall height comes from the roof racks and cross bars.

If you lower it you could, and I would, keep the fender flares and bumpers.

I second the motion. Leave the bodywork. I love the fender flares. I don't really mind the front bumper either, although it is a bit all-road, rather than sport-wagon.

I'd get one of the non-two-toned Outback. Garnet Red, or Obsidian Black, I think.

Get Legacy rear vented disks. Get LGT or STi front brakes.

Lower/replace control arms, springs, struts/coilovers.

Get 18x8 with proper offset forged rims to fill those flares.

Import a OB rear bumper from Japan/Oz/Euro market for the exhaust cutouts, then get a LGT exhaust system.

Makeover complete. I'd consider doing it if I wanted a wagon, and didn't mind a taupe interior. According to the 2006 thread, the matrix shows taupe for ALL outback interiors, regardless of exterior color.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'll bet it'd be cheaper to get the bodywork and put it on an LGT wagon. I agree that the flares and front end treatment just look mean. That's the main reason I got the XT over the LGT wagon. That and I like the ride height. I may eventually get some kind of air suspension that you can lower form the cockput for when I want to hit the twisties. The way the car is at that height, it'll always feel like it's on stilts around corners.

Drove the OXT tonight. Feels way different, but probably is not too much.

In OBlack it does not look too bad at all.

Dealer is looking at offer to buy back the wheels and tires.

Wife wants black on black so this could be the one.

To be decided...

The closest thing I can think of at the moment would be 03Indigo's OBXT. Do a search and you can find out what he has done for suspension work.
i can think of at least one more person with a lowered OBXT :rolleyes: hmmm, what's his name again? :confused:

Definitely. Check out Drewster's XT. His is the car that I had in my mind's eye during my last post. I just couldn't remember his handle at the time.

It's a black OB XT lowered, with 18" silver SSR GT2 rims. Very cool.

(sorry, drewster. I did remember your DB9GT LM car Avatar, and looked through the thread for it, though. You hadn't posted yet, so I didn't have a reminder.)

thanks for the info.

I think this has been asked before. I am also pretty sure that this will become a more relevant topic over the next year or so with the elimination of 5MT’s in the Legacy GT wagon.

I own an OBXT and have driven the LGT sedan at length (maybe 500 + miles in all conditions). One easy way to get the OBXT to handle pretty darn close to the stock LGT is to replace the tires. I put Pilot Sport A/S on mine and the handling is now on a par with the stock LGT. Of course a similar upgrade to the LGT would be phenomenal….

As far as acceleration the OBXT and LGT are dead even. It will be ride height and handling that is different.

Mechanical differences are:

LGT has larger front and ventilated rear brake rotors.

OBXT has different sized tires (225/55/17 vs. 215/45/17 for the LGT)

OBXT has a lower final drive ratio than the LGT.

OBXT weighs 65 pound more than a comparably equipped LGT. Xtra weight is in the wheels and fender flares.

Somehow Subaru raised the OBXT 2.6 inches higher than the LGT. Overall height is more but remember much of the increased overall height comes from the roof racks and cross bars.

If you lower it you could, and I would, keep the fender flares and bumpers.

Cost to ship started to go way up and we could not find anything this side of the Mississippi.

We even decided to go Silver instead and could not find one with our spec either...want red, white or blue and you are good...or fly back east. Bye, bye 05s.

We plan on changing tires, suspension and more really anyways. We could wait for a 06 (if they still have 5sps), but after looking at the OBXT it looks pretty cool.

Would finding what you want anywhere in the country, even if you had to ship it, be less expensive and easier than converting an existing car?

Cost to ship started to go way up and we could not find anything this side of the Mississippi.

We even decided to go Silver instead and could not find one with our spec either...want red, white or blue and you are good...or fly back east. Bye, bye 05s.

We plan on changing tires, suspension and more really anyways. We could wait for a 06 (if they still have 5sps), but after looking at the OBXT it looks pretty cool.

Well there is a novel solution to your problem - just get an Outback :D

And I was hoping we were going to have twins...;)

Hehe.

I just hope you guys find what you really want. I have to say that the modded versions of the Outback that I have seen around here (Drewster's being a prime example) are quite tasty.

Good luck!

Archived