LegacyGT.com

Hey guys its time for me to do a drain and flush on my transmission. I called the subaru dealership to check prices etc...

for the fluid they wanted to charge 6.50 a quart, and for the filter 38. they wanted to charge 250ish to do the flush and drain.

I bought the fluid elsewhere (Dexron III) for about 40 (just going with the standard stuff, no syn) but when i went to look for filters elsewhere (wix's website) it states that the Transmission filter and Oil filter are the same part number? :spin: Is this true?

Wix recommends part number 51365, i have an amsoil oil filter on right now. The bypass relief valve psi seemed low to use as an oil filter for the wix.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this! BTW I did search but this doesn't really seem to be addressed anywhere.

Buy the Subaru one. We do a lot of service on the 4EATs. While the filter casing and spin on part is the same, the subaru ATF filter has a different valve/filter material inside it. So while you CAN physically use the same filter as the oil filter, I would spring for the $40 for the ATF Filter from Subaru. That's what we use for our 30k/60k services.

-mike

I got my tranny flushed at a local Subaru dealer using the BG machine and fluid for a lot less that $250 so I would look into that option. You really don't need to change the filter but if you do I would definitely get the Subaru one to avoid any warranty issues.

I'm not a big fan of flushing. It's been known to bend fins in the torque converters. Do a drain/fill every 30k and you are in good shape.

-mike

Uh oh...I replaced my ATF filter with a K&N oil filter since the part # is the same. Would that cause any problems?

I would put in the Subaru filter. We actually do a drain/fill and filter replacement on all ATs that come through our shop for their 30k/60k/90k services.

-mike

I used a new filter and since I did not have a new crush washer I reused the old one. What a mistake! It started leaking the next day. Had to drain and put in a new crush washer and all is good. I got both the Subaru filter and oil. It took no more than 3 quarts with the drain. Since I drained it twice I decided to use some more new oil.

X

---

I'm not a big fan of flushing. It's been known to bend fins in the torque converters. Do a drain/fill every 30k and you are in good shape.

-mike

The BG unit is not really a flush. It's more of a fluid exchange. Think of it as a transfusion for the tranny. It uses the transmissions own pump to do it as well. I'll be doing this next week.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

Thanks for the responses, i am going to do it myself since i do have access to a lift and a shop for all the space and tools i need. I don't have a ton of money so i guess ill have to spring for the subaru one. my car has 97k miles on it so warranty isn't an issue. i am about 6k past the suggested change for the tranny. i was going to do the drain, run it drain run it top off method.

boo for being unemployed for over a year now... stupid outsourcing...

-mike

The BG machine and almost all of the similar machines do not actually "flush." They are a 2 bladder fluid "exchanger" that uses the transmissions own pumps to remove and pull in the new fluid. I am not aware of any fluid "flushers" even in use anymore. The BG service is superior to any drain and fill because almost 100% of the fluid is changed which is impossible with a drain and fill.

Gotcha, yeah, i've heard of that method, just haven't gotten any real world experience with them. I know a lot of truck guys with PU/Offroad trucks take the In/Out lines from the trans cooler in the rad off and cycle them into buckets and out of the new fluid containers using the internal pumps of the AT.

-mike

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so i read more on it, should i really have spent more for the subaru atf? i used standard dex III atf. should i re-drain this? also i am going to do the differential fluids. what do i need for what?

and azp if you guys were closer i would so take my car there, you guys seem to know what is going on and have better rates than the local dealer.

Thanks for the props. We've been enthusiasts for >10 years and hated getting screwed by mechanics and dealers so we started working on our own cars then offered out the service. It seemed to work and the guys love working on subies. It's amazing when you have folks who love subies as more or more than the owners working on them!

I would use either Amsoil Synthetic ATF or Redline High Temp ATF on your car for the AT. For the Front and rear diffys 80w90 Amsoil GL5 Synthetic is what we use. You can order Amsoil here https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=494200

-mike

Archived