LegacyGT.com

Ugly pictures of corroded parts underneath the car

Not sure if this section of the forum is the best place to post this.

As I was removing my winter rims and putting back my normal rims (OEM), I took a closer look at underneath the car and it struck me how corroded several of the parts were.

I live in Montreal, winters are harsh, at work I park the car in an indoor garage, same thing for home. My garage avg temp is about 50 F, the work garage is probably a bit warmer near 60 F.

I've had the car since July 2004.

Here are some ugly looking pictures. I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm wondering if this corrosion will pose problems or can it be decorroded or fixed? Is this level of corrosion common?

IMG_0307.thumb.jpg.60c68c99e0ed2665dee3b309bf9922ff.jpg

IMG_0308.thumb.jpg.24e60c7fc913c2a4952add7e293b1019.jpg

IMG_0309.thumb.jpg.5ca183a100d6155ffd1d741fc6d2eef4.jpg

IMG_0310.thumb.jpg.f75f3c6f1edf8f5e70c9de84d74d6f8b.jpg

IMG_0311.thumb.jpg.4c8334af8346f74180443ad1ac528cfd.jpg

IMG_0312.thumb.jpg.c61114fe16d8c33a1d936ebb1aa4d2c2.jpg

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I think you parking in heated garages is contributing a lot to your problem. Salt really goes to work when mixed with water (melted ice/snow) and warm temps (your heated garages).

It's no picnic in the winter up here either. NY POURS salt on the roads. I park outside at work and at home, or in a non-heated garage. My bits don't look anything like that. Yes, they have an outer rusty layer, but nothing quite so eaten into.

+1^^ What he said. By putting your car in heated garages you are simply accelerating the process. You are actually better off getting a block heater and leaving the car outside.

The one that scares me the most in those pictures is the one of the area above the axle and exhaust pipe that shows the rust on the actually body frame.

Have you ever taken your car to get Rust Proofed? Just curious if you did the yearly Rustproofing applications or not.

My car is an 08, and I've already taken it for its first Rust-Proofing session at Krown within my first month of ownership late last year. They gaurantee your car will never get rust underneath...as long as you get them to apply their rustproof spray once a year. Worth it for me :)

Wow, that looks rusty. My car has a little on the exhaust pipes and that's about it. I am living in the south now. They never use salt. We had 1 snow that stuck to the roads all winter. No salt was put down. I don't think they have winter road crews.

No, never had it sprayed. Is it worth having it sprayed next fall in order to slow down the corrosion? How messy is the spraying, is the sprayed stuff dripping for a while after?

I saw a white WRX yesterday with oil traces at the bottom of the doors and trunk, that is a different method right (which I would never ever have my car treated with this process)?

No, never had it sprayed. Is it worth having it sprayed next fall in order to slow down the corrosion? ........

How often have you been going to the car wash during winter? Does the car wash have an undercarriage spray?

How often have you been going to the car wash during winter? Does the car wash have an undercarriage spray?

Probably once every other week. I'm going to the gas station's contactless car wash. I think the car wash I go to has that feature. That would be a good thing? The next or so day, the car almost looks like it never got washed.

http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/petroleum/ctcpt_carwash_tr.htm

I think the indoor garage is the killer. It's a hard habit to break though. Especially that my parking spot is paid by my employer.

Spray the underside of the car with used motor oil. It will put a film of protection on your car.

+1. I bought a used 2001 Saab that had a rusty underside. I had it undercoated and keep it undercoated and it not only looks better, but I'm confident it stops the rust.

Your best insurance is rustproofing once a year. I live in montreal also and have my cars done at rust check (I'm sure metropolitain rust prrofing works just as good). I have owned cars for as long as 8 years and the undercarriage was like new. I also bring my car indoors overnight but keep the temperature around 70, additionnaly I keep a fan blowing in the garage which dramatically accelerates the drying process.

I'm going to get my 07 spec B rustproofed too. It hurts to think of the holes they have to drill to get into some spots, but after seeing one of my cars covered with rust underneath after 3 years, I'm getting it done. Here the two big ones are Rust Chek and Krown. Mine did drip some oil on my previous car, which isn't too pretty, but it sure as hell works. I want this thing to still be looking great in 7 years when I'm done paying it off! lol:cool:

Another decent option is picking up a marine anti-corrosion spray. It would be a lot cheaper than going through a dealer.

These usually last for around 12-18 months depending on wear & tear.

My parents sell Corrosion Block, and I could probably hook up some LGT members with a discount if anyone is interested.

Corrosion Block - 12oz Can

That's a 12oz aerosol type can which I use for spraying hinges, bolts, screws, etc.

If you wanted to hose down a huge area, there's a 4L spray jug that might work well:

Corrosion Block - 4L Spray Jug

The nice thing is it's completely safe to all rubber - so it won't wear away o-rings, gaskets, CV joints, etc....

If anyone is interested let me know / PM me and I'll set you up. I just picked up an LGT this week and plan on hosing it down with this stuff myself.

Archived