LegacyGT.com

Bad sound coming from the engine bay. Time for a new timing belt kit, where to buy?

Inspector Gadget

I just passed the 100,00 mark on the odometer and now I have a horrible sound underneath the left side timing belt cover. It's time to replace the timing belt anyway, but I'm hoping a new timing belt kit is all that's needed.

Fred Bean offers the Gates Racing kit with water pump for $387. Is this the best kit at the best price? I'm going to do the work myself because I know which end of a screwdriver to hold and I am unemployed, so every dollar counts.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/c/tck328rbwp.jpg

Do you have any other suggestions on what I should do while I have the car apart? Hoses, belts, etc.?

yes, oil pump. You're right there while doing the rest of the work you've got planned, zero extra labor, just the part.

Typically you're doing preventative maintenance for everything except for the idler pulley's. They are the ones that go bad in our cars, not the timing belt. Idler's go bad and take out the rest, if you're unlucky or you avoid maintenance like this.

I've had idler's go bad 3 other times in other subies I've owned. 134K, 125k and 170K. None of those times did it take out the motor (I was lucky). Every time it was suggested to replace the cam seals, water and oil pumps and all idler pulleys.

Even after the time I over-filled the car with 3 quarts of oil, drove it and pushed out the cam seals and caused a super oil leak. Had 20K on the timing belts, oil pump, water pump etc and the mechanic insisted that all be replaced again. I had to provide receipts to prove to him the water and oil pumps were essentially brand new before he backed down on doing the whole she-bang and just replaced the seals I ruined by overfill.

Whehh, that was long.

Good luck!

yes, oil pump. You're right there while doing the rest of the work you've got planned, zero extra labor, just the part...

While all this is true, in my opinion, there is no need to change the oil pump. As long as you do regular oil changes and the engine is stock or near stock the oil pump should last the life of the engine. I have personal had EJ engine that were run long on oil changes and abused to red line daily that held stock oil pressure at over 250,000 miles. When torn down the oil pumps showed no scoring or excessive wear (though I would never reuse a 200K pump on a rebuild).

Cam seals, yes, I would probably do those and maybe the front crank seal too (though those don’t seem to fail).

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Archived