LegacyGT.com

How to deal with porpoise on acceleration?

zooted

When I really accelerate, the back end of my Leg GT feels that it drops as the nose raises up a bit. this is from a running start and from a stop. I have AP stage 1. Which factors/upgrades affect this aspect of handling such as tire pressure, shocks, springs, etc? I have no experience or knowledge on suspension other than firming up my TR7. I would like the car to be flatter both in corners as well as on acceleration on the flat.

z

I got the JDM GT Bilstein struts and springs and that helped get rid of the dips and dives when accelerating and braking. Sway bars will only help in cornering.

how much did those set you back, and where did you get them, if you don't mind my asking...?

uh....

notsomuch help on the porposing

its the soft springs i have noticed it too

nose lift on acell

nose dive under brake

springs springs springs .. and struts

sway will have no affect (on this proublem) still a good upgrade

engine/tranny mounts will have no affect (on this proublem) -questionable upgrade depends on your direction for the car

IBKEEFE

"I would like the car to be flatter both in corners as well as on acceleration on the flat."

he said he was looking for help both in acceleration and stopping but also in the corners--the sway's would help with the cornering, and the springs and struts/shocks whatever it has will help with both

uh....

notsomuch help on the porposing

its the soft springs i have noticed it too

nose lift on acell

nose dive under brake

springs springs springs .. and struts

sway will have no affect (on this proublem) still a good upgrade

engine/tranny mounts will have no affect (on this proublem) -questionable upgrade depends on your direction for the car

IBKEEFE

:lol: URKEEFE!

Springs are your concern if you want to eliminate the diving and dipping going on.

Keefe

Keefe

I know that there was an Anti-Lift Kit (ALK) for the 2nd/3rd gen Legacys and the WRX, that added both some positive camber at the front and helped to control the porpoising you mention. Have not seen anything like that for the 4th gen (2005) Legacy, so IMO, it's going to take the appropriate spring/strut combination to eliminate this characteristic.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What would the most cost effective/first step to improve the fore/aft stability of the car?

z

Might be a stupid suggestion, but what tire pressures are you running? Adding 5psi or so can stiffen them up remarkably.

If you want cheep, I'd start with that.

This is kindof unusual as a problem. Are you getting on the gas smoothly and progressively? (notice, that I didn't say slow...)

You may have a bad strut or something.

• 1 month later...
My sways and endlinks helped a ton with porpousing. I couldn't believe it, sphix can attest. We drove my car (sways and AP stage1) then his (stock) I felt like I was do'n pop-a-wheelies in his car......GROSS......now sways aren't designed for stop'n this but they sure as hell help. So much so that I have yet to get springs, and am waiting for the perfect set (prob coilovers) If you want most overall improvement, I say front an rear sways will get you the most improvement for you buck......all IMHO of course =)

ALK is the answer you seek!!!

Whiteline Anti-Lift Castor Kit Race

[KCA319M] $139.00

http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/_large/KCA319M.jpg

Whiteline Anti-Lift Castor Kit Standard

[KCA319A] $159.00

http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/_large/KCA319A.jpg

This kit is designed to add 0.5 degrees static caster to both front wheels while introducing a substantial amount of front anti-lift. The low compliance bushing will also maintain higher dynamic positive caster. By changing the front control arm geometry, the new alloy mounts oppose front lift under acceleration. This leads to superior traction under power including cornering, dramatically reducing understeer & front wheel spin. The additional castor serves to dramatically sharpen initial turn-in response, then forcing more consistent alignment angles through the corner due to the reduced bushing compliance. The vehicle may require minor front toe settings after fitting. Impreza, Legacy & Forester.

Available NOW from Whiteline

I know EXACTLY what you are refering to and the ALK by whiteline that I had on my prevoious Legacy was AWESOME. I'm getting defintely getting these babys!!!

CRAZY KEN

Anyone in the NW can look into ipdusa.com(www.subysolutions.com) they have gotten with rallitech(SP?)(both in Portland, OR) and put there sway bars and GP moto COs on a couple of 05s, everyone has love the results both in flattening the turns and isolating the squat and dive. I talked with Chris Delano, real sharp and helpful.

• 1 month later...

Definately the ALK. Subietonic said it right on the money...and all the others that mentioned the ALK. Hope they make them for the 2K5 GT.

Checked the link provided above (thanks to the provider)...but those look like the ones for the Impreza line...as in, I wonder if those really fit a 2K5 GT? Anyone know for sure?

Later,

i

Um, guys - that ALK does not fit your Legacy. Take a look underneath - that part is different on the Legacy bl/bp. That will only fit the older Legacy models.

To be honest, it will not help as much, either. Subaru changed that area on the Legacy already, and to a large extent, it is already built in. The dive/squat syndrome is purely because of the soft springs/dampers that you have as standard on the Legacy GT in the states. And if you have enough power, even upgrading to the JDM Bilsteins and upgraded springs won't stop the squat under acceleration. :D

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.sevenphotos.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

Yeah - unless the USDM uses the old style front lower arm, the ALK will be a quick resale or paper weight ;)

The extra caster already in the front end of the new shape is, as Paul rightly says, lots more than the older cars.

There are fewer short cut mod options on this era because it is fundamentally a better thought through set up.

Archived