LegacyGT.com

DD Coilovers

sumfoo1

Where do you live? Coilovers aren't really setup to be "DD" if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, you can count on having to rebuild them every 2 years or so. I find that the NVH on even the softest coilovers is unacceptable if there are potholes where you drive. So shoot us that info and we'll take it from there.

-mike

The plates are where your NVH comes into play. Ditch the plates. You can run RCE Tarmacs with SpecB tophats. The rubber top hats take 99.97% of the NVH associated with coils away.

Any set up you use with plates (even pillow balls) will cause lots of NVH. Its a metal on metal connection.

Coils are a little extreme for just a DD. A nice set of springs and struts might be up your alley. But the plates are asking for NVH.

I think Mike at AZP would agree. He has lots of experience with the suspensions on the track and roads and can offer great advice and service.

I've experienced a number of cars with different levels of quality in the coilovers they are running. A lot depends on the bearing design for solid camber plates and how well you maintain them. On my friend's WRX with Megan Racing c/o's his plates clunk and bang constantly. On my friend Clint's WRX STI with Ground Controls, his starting clunking so we took them apart, cleaned them up, and greased them with a high quality grease. Since then they have been quiet (not rattly), although they do jar the car over big bumps with 400 lb springs. The Ground Control use a larger bearing design and the plates are nice and beefy

Long story short.. get a set of QUALITY camber plates and they can meet your goals

You could also get a set of poly or stiffer rubber (Group N) upper mounts once Whiteline releases them for our cars next spring

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_1086&products_id=1137

The plates are where your NVH comes into play. Ditch the plates. You can run RCE Tarmacs with SpecB tophats. The rubber top hats take 99.97% of the NVH associated with coils away.

Any set up you use with plates (even pillow balls) will cause lots of NVH. Its a metal on metal connection.

Coils are a little extreme for just a DD. A nice set of springs and struts might be up your alley. But the plates are asking for NVH.

I think Mike at AZP would agree. He has lots of experience with the suspensions on the track and roads and can offer great advice and service.

Certainly all consistent with my experience on both CO and uprated struts/springs.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So far the SpecB top hats are about it. They will raise the front end of a non-SpecB about 3/8". They work with Bilsteins and Tokicos. Konis use the standard top hat as well as KYB GR2's. The RCE Tarmacs come with SpecB tophats and since they are coil overs there is no issues with ride height/saggy butt.

But as stated above, Whiteline is currently working on some nice top hats for the LGT. Scheduled for release later next year.

So far the SpecB top hats are about it. They will raise the front end of a non-SpecB about 3/8". They work with Bilsteins and Tokicos. Konis use the standard top hat as well as KYB GR2's. The RCE Tarmacs come with SpecB tophats and since they are coil overs there is no issues with ride height/saggy butt.

But as stated above, Whiteline is currently working on some nice top hats for the LGT. Scheduled for release later next year.

Rallispec sells group N mounts for the LGT. Or at least they did when I got them to go along with my Pinks and Konis.

I would suggest a good set of springs (there are several different heights and stiffness) and either Bilstiens or Koni Inserts and Group N tops. Also to firmup your ride you don't have to go directly to coilovers. Bushings play a major role in your suspension as well.

Whiteline Bushings I would suggest for a good DD:

Steering Rack Bushings

Front (Inner and rear) Lower Control Arm Bushings

Group N Motor, Trans and Pitch Mounts

Rear Diffy Bushings

Sway Bars (22 or 24 adjustable front and rear)

Rollcenter Kit

Kartboy End Links

Kartboy Rear Subframe Bushings

-mike

Even the Subaru part number is the same. Rubber compound same, larger internal bearing same. No one I know of is stocking the GroupeN any longer. Once it was discovered they were the same, everyone just started using the USDM SpecB part because it is cheaper than having to import the STi part.

I used the USDM SpecB tophats with Tokicos on my 5EAT. Tophats were far beefier than OEM.

But my new set up uses Vorsch plates. NVH be damned. I'm going racing.

I've been tinkering around with my BC Racing BR coilovers for about 15,000 miles. Despite conventional wisdom, we have pretty crappy roads in the old world part of Los Angeles built in the 40s. I've got them set up to be pretty comfortable as a DD. The only downside, which is a meaningful downside, is the crash and bang that comes from the metal on metal camber plates when hitting potholes, sharp bumps, expansion joints. It actually doesn't come through the car too badly, but it can sound like the front of the car is breaking off. Except for that, I have no real NVH issues with them. I may switch them out for some Rallitek springs to see what it's like (and what I like), but they handle really well and are pretty civilized. I've gotten rid of most understeer, and I can rotate on the brakes and on the throttle.

Archived