LegacyGT.com

Oils that our cars DON'T eat?

• Mega Users

I'm curious about oils that people have used that stopped oil consumption. I don't want this to turn into a dino vs synthetic shootout or brand shootout! I am curious about which oils your personal cars have eaten and which oil and weight you switched to that stopped the consumption.

I'll start. My car eats Castrol Synthetic like crazy. About 1qt in 3000 miles. It didn't eat any Subaru synthetic. They were both 5w30.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, one quart every 3000 miles does not fall into the "eats oil" category.

Second, in my experience, how hard I drive my car and how much boost I run seems to affect consumption more than oil brands.

Before I rebuilt my engine I was going thru 1 quart of 0-40 every 600 miles. That's "eating" oil. My new (5000 mile) forged piston rebuild is using 1/4qt every 3000. I'd still be happy if it was 1 qt per 3000.

• Mega Users

I know it's not a severe case, but I'd like to reduce the consumption. It's time for an oil change and I'm just looking at what works for others that is cheap. I suspect the oil because it didn't do it with the last oil I had.

I also want other people's opinions on whether a different brand will effect this. I've only put 6000 miles on my car, so I'm just researching.

oil... other than the olive one, I've tried handful of oils, synth and regular. Domestic and couple of European brands. All 5W. Still loose about 1qt per oil change (3.5K). The only thing I noticed, the amount of oil consumed is directly proportional to how heavy I am on the gas pedal.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Mega Users
Has anyone using rotella had any cat related emissions issues? It will supposedly mess with their ability to do their job over time if the car is consuming oil. It wont cause failure, just inefficiency (supposedly). It's due to an additive used in diesel oil that also makes the oil stick to bearings and other engine parts. I went for the 5w40 anyway, but has anyone experienced these problems?

Archived