LegacyGT.com

Turn rear defroster on....radio goes static

Justin3390

Hey guys, I have an 07 LGT that I've had for about 3 weeks. It's also my first Subaru. I absolutely love it, but i have a problem. If I have my radio on and I turn on the rear defrosters the stations turn into static. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help because the dealer I bought the car from won't. I've been getting dicked around since I bought it and I'm fed up with them.

Someone told me there might be a crack in one of the grids on the back window. I guess permatex sells a window grid repair kit. The tough part is finding the crack. It could be a big, noticeable one. Or a very small one that you need a magnifying glass to find. This should be a lot of fun

Hey guys, I have an 07 LGT that I've had for about 3 weeks. It's also my first Subaru. I absolutely love it, but i have a problem. If I have my radio on and I turn on the rear defrosters the stations turn into static. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help because the dealer I bought the car from won't. I've been getting dicked around since I bought it and I'm fed up with them.

"Customer complaint of radio static when the radio and rear window defogger are on at the same time, there is the possibility of a break in one or more of the defogger grids. When the grid is broken, a high resistance field is created at the break point which can create static on some radio stations. The level of resistance is usually high enough to create a field of interference which projects out from the glass. The break can be detected visually or by using a portable radio.

Using a portable radio, set the radio to the same frequency and station being disturbed by static. From the outside of the vehicle, slowly move the radio’s antenna across the defogger grids. When interference is encountered, inspect that specific area closely for a break. Depending upon the size of the break, a magnifying glass and/or eyeloupe may be required.

Once the break is identified, it should be repaired using the Permatex® repair kit instead of replacing the rear glass. Note: Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions

and precautions that are included with the Permatex® repair kit.

Permatex® Quick Grid™ Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit, part # 15067, used for repairing damaged rear window defogger grids, is available at local automotive parts stores."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived