LegacyGT.com

Squeaking noise at idle

impretza

I have an 06LGT. I replaced the clutch with a excedy stage one 1 clutch kit and also had the flywheel resurfaced. I've put about 700 miles on the clutch so far. I'm getting a squeaking noise when the car is idling and the squeaking noise goes away as soon as i place my foot on the clutch pedal, i don't even have to engage the pedal for the noise to go away just placing my foot on the pedal is enough to stop the noise. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
it could be a throw out bearing??? i'm having the same issue on my 10 lgt, it just started today, mine is bone stock....

Yeah, that's what it is. My car has been in twice under warranty for it but they keep brick-walling me for a premanent fix, which is to change the transmission case. First timr was around 18K miles, second time 33Kish, and the next time was only at like 37 or 38K, but for that one they had me wait for an appointment with a field tech from Atlanta. Mind you I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to the enarest subaru dealer. So on that appointment, the car just didn't make the sound, even though the previous week the teald mechanic heard it, but because it happened ot not be doing it THAT day, 'there's nothing I can do'. I had to wait until it was doing it persistently. So now it's pretty persistent when idle, out of gear, but I haven't noticed it while driving, The first two times it could be heard while driving. Ultimately it's a one in a couple thousand chance of getting this issue. The quill shaft that the TOB rides on is aluminum and it wears, and when it wears, along with the TOB there is more play. The 'fix' is a time consuming tranny case change, in which they take the innards of your current tranny, and drop it in the new case. Root cause me still exist though, which is open to speculation...aligmnet/seating of parts and the like. After warranty is up though, I'm placing a real 'fix' available online. It's a steel sleeve with an over-sized TOB. Steel won't wear as bad as aluminum. It's like $250. They have vechicle-specific sizes to include our LGT's. "Tran-quill" I think is what they are. Love my Subi, but I'm hating this particular issue. It sounds like crap, and eveyone thinks it's a stupid belt or something.

I just changed my clutch from stock to a CM FX300 along with the subaru oem SMFW. I also installed the TSK3 kit with the oversized TOB due to a noise I was hearing every morning when the engine and trans was cold while the clutch was not pressed, pressing the clutch pedal would make the sound go away. And guess what?? The fricking noise is still there, same deal and I'm starting to think it might be one of the bearings in the transmission since it sounds a little bit like a grinding noise.. Any thoughts on that??

I just changed my clutch from stock to a CM FX300 along with the subaru oem SMFW. I also installed the TSK3 kit with the oversized TOB due to a noise I was hearing every morning when the engine and trans was cold while the clutch was not pressed, pressing the clutch pedal would make the sound go away. And guess what?? The fricking noise is still there, same deal and I'm starting to think it might be one of the bearings in the transmission since it sounds a little bit like a grinding noise.. Any thoughts on that??

I'd think maybe the pilot bearing, really depends on the conditions when you hear the noise. When does the nose persist? In neutral? Clutch engaged? Car in motion? Possible that if it is IN the xmsn, it could be a bearing the layshaft rides on. Try and get a stereoscope orwhatever it's called to accurately assess the location of the sound. Helps to have someone help you by pressing clutch while you're looking for the source. I'm not making a judgment about your knowledge, I have no clue, but if you get a chance to look at a teardown of exactly how a xmsn works, and what is happening with shafts, gears, and clutch, it makes troubleshooting easier. I think most everyone knows pretty well most everything between the flywheel and the front wall if the xmsn, but not nearly as many have as good of an understanding of the stuff inside the casing.

I have an 06LGT. I replaced the clutch with a excedy stage one 1 clutch kit and also had the flywheel resurfaced. I've put about 700 miles on the clutch so far. I'm getting a squeaking noise when the car is idling and the squeaking noise goes away as soon as i place my foot on the clutch pedal, i don't even have to engage the pedal for the noise to go away just placing my foot on the pedal is enough to stop the noise. Any ideas?

I am so pissed about my clutch right now. These friken cars have such weak clutch's. I have 1000 miles on a brand new ACT, flywheel, pilot bearing, and TOB and it is squeeking just as you state yours is. I've had three clutches in my car, OE, Spec and ACT and every TOB I have put in has made noise. The snout on my trans is perfect, as is the fork. I was going to pull it again to do the TSK kit but I see someone else is having similar issue's with a TSK installed. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, when your foot is OFF the clutch pedal the pilot bearing does not spin.

The only thing I did not replace/ instal was the TSK kit even though I had ordered it but it got here late. I was thinking of taking the tranny down and installing it but from what I hear the noise might still persist. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

The squeel is the TOB, either it's defective or it's rubbing the fingers of the pressure plate. If it's rubbing the fingers, in most cases it would sound more of a chatter. The TSK3 kit should help.

If that doesn't work, there might be too much pressure coming from the clutch piston, which is pushing the fork in more than it should. Causing the TOB to go out early. There is a walkthrough on here on how to install a spring on the back of the fork. This will help prevent the piston from extending all the way out under disengagement.

My wife's balls are delicious.

The squeel is the TOB, either it's defective or it's rubbing the fingers of the pressure plate. If it's rubbing the fingers, in most cases it would sound more of a chatter. The TSK3 kit should help.

If that doesn't work, there might be too much pressure coming from the clutch piston, which is pushing the fork in more than it should. Causing the TOB to go out early. There is a walkthrough on here on how to install a spring on the back of the fork. This will help prevent the piston from extending all the way out under disengagement.

F1inspiredLGT I had the same noise before installing the TSK3 and after the installation, what you're saying makes a lot of sense, but my problem might be something else since it was there before and after, and weird thing is that it only does it in the morning when its cold in neutral idling, guess I gotta dust off the stetoscope and do some listening while engaging and disengaging the clutch...

• 3 months later...
The noise came back and I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled down the transmission and installed the TSK3 kit. I have to say the shaft was in rough shape. The noise is now gone and the clutch even feels much smoother. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• 6 months later...

Archived