LegacyGT.com

Headlight Adjustment

80% of my driving is at night, so I'm obsessed with seeing well.

I just bought $50 headlights in hopes that my lights were just dull, but

as you might be able to see in the picture, I still can't see.

I can tell they're brighter, but I still can only see about 2 car lengths ahead, if I'm lucky. I can't adjust the lights or even move the headlamps.

I've already hit a deer, big mess, a cop had to put her down; all because of this problem.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I see no adjustment screws or anything, my Subaru mechanic couldn't even find anything.

Should I buy HID's and new lights? I'm at a loss here...literally.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2agufme.jpg

There are two adjustment screws for each headlamp. They are very long and should be blatantly obvious. I find it hard to believe that all four of them would be broken off at the base. However, if, for some reason, you indeed don't have the ability to adjust them anymore, there is no real solution other than to either buy new assemblies for $100 each, or to to a junkyard and pull some. Swapping the assembly takes all of 3 minutes as its just a couple bolts and it lifts right out.

Don't just toss a set of HIDs in there to solve the problem. That's like using a tactical nuke to take out a Tank because your RPG isn't working... it will cause a lot more problems than it will solve.

EDIT: It looks as though your headlamps are aimed exceedingly low. You might also try some washers under some of the screws to prop them up... or perhaps even twisting the upper radiator support slightly.

EDIT EDIT: These aren't the same headlights, but the screws are the same and in the same location. Two REALLY LONG screws. If you don't see those, something is effed up!

http://www.soapintheintercooler.com/images/97_AW/headlights/tn-Projector_Conversion_075.jpg

I tried to adjust my headlight last night because mine sit ridiculously low like yours, the adjustment screws were rusted like crazy and the plastic pieces on the end broke right off. I used some Extreme Graphite spray that i got from my work and sprayed the **** out of them but ended up breaking off the bottom one and realizing that the top one only adjusted the lights left to right, so long story short, you must use the bottom adjuster to aim for height and I would use some sort of lubricant/penetrating oil and letting that sit on there for awhile before attempting to reaim them.

If that doesn't work, get some JDMs, HIDs and call it a day! The deer will pucker up and stay out your way. :) But it will cost you about $250-300 for the whole setup.

Don't get HIDs w/o projectors please.

If you want some really nice bulbs to fit your stockers, get some OSRAM Sylvania 9003/HB2/H4 3500K 55/60 HI/LO bulbs (made for the European market) from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140557284338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They make a world of difference! Kennyfvholla recommended them to me and they are super nice. Nice white light and 2x better than stock bulbs. He might have some headlights ($90) available in a few weeks if you are unable to aim yours.

I found them, and the white caps turn but the beam of light doesn't move.

They turn around and around but they dont move the light.

I'm also not sure how to figure out if they're adjusted properly.

I park about 15 feet from my garage door on my somewhat tilted driveway, is that right? The lights look as if they're pointed correctly

I've had the same problem as you a few threads below. After soaking the adjustment screws a few days in a row with wd-40, i was able to move them with vice grips. A slow process, but it worked. My plastic ends broke off as well, as my adjusters don't have the beefier looking phillips head screw in stang's picture. I effed up the tips with the vice grips, but the screws are long enough, and just a few turns makes a big difference down the roadway.

Archived