LegacyGT.com

hey guys/girls, i just picked up a 05 legacy 2.5i sedan, on start up it idles fine and when warmed up it runs at about 4-500rpms and if i rev the engine to 3k and keep it there, theres a loud rattling comimg from the engine, and when i accelorate a little hard theres no noise till i let off the throttle to shift,and when feathering the throttle at 3k the rattle is there, also at idle it sounds like it has a loss of compression, my co worker listened to it and said it could be a stuck rocker, but im assuming its a bent valve, the timing belt was replaced before i had it, maybe it skipped timing? who ever reads this please get back to me, i have a video on my instagram if anyone has one, user name is oh5legacy my profile pic is my car (aspen white) thank you :confused:

Before you go the route of replacing internals take a look are your heats shields. Our cars are notorious for the heatshield rattle. A good test is to take a hammer, preferably a rubber mallet, go under your car and tap the cat pipe, manifold and the transmission tunnel heat shields if they are lose it will rattle.

Several of us cut them off. My car would rattle under decel all the time so annoying. If you get a chance post the video but hopefully we can fix this without going inside the engine :)

• 6 months later...
well after a few weeks of daily driving the engine finally went, it sounds like the connecting rod snapped and sounds like it jumping around, i really want to put a gt engine in it cause i cant really find the 2.5i engines in the condition id prefer, but if i decide to go with a gt engine will it run on the stock ecu or would i have to get a gt computer or remap at my local speed shop?

You'll need more than that you need a full front harness, ecu, exhaust parts, fuel pump, wire mergings for little things like the tach and inputs the 255 expects that the 253 doesn't output. Just buy a remanufactured 253 use your blown as a core. The short block isn't expensive you can reuse everything else unless the head on that cylinder that exploded is damaged.

Archived