LegacyGT.com

Sunroof vs. Moonroof.

MUD

I've owned two vehicles that were equipped with moonroofs and I'm now kinda puzzled as to the differences between a sunroof & a moonroof!

With a moonroof, you notice that the ceiling of the vehicle has been lowered to accomodate the room required for the moonroof glass to drop down and slide back INTO the ceiling of the vehicle.

This causes a loss of head-room in the vehicle.

With a sunroof that I've seen.... the glass tilts up, but then slides BACK.... above the roof of the vehicle.

Does a sunroof that does this ^^ require the lowering of the ceiling inside vehicle? In turn depriving the driver of head room?

Is it possible to have a vehicle that is NOT equipped with a sunroof...... equipped with one that does NOT reduce head-room in the vehicle? A sunroof with power options as well?

I really like the kind that tilt UP.... then slide back.... on TOP of the roof of the car!

Is this possible.....or are the differences in head-room between the two what I'm thinking... or am I just off in the head?

Discuss with what you know... or even links to such... cause my google skillz are returning nothing for me right now!

Thanx.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Guest *Jedimaster*

No, the difference is the time of day :D

Seriously, I always thought the difference was that a sunroof was manual operation and a moonroof was power operation. I could be wrong though-it doesn't happen often but I suppose I'm due.

And to answer the question about their being more headroom in a car thats moonroof opens and slides out over the roof, thats a negative. The two previous cars I owened had moonroofs that opened over the roof and the headroom was lower in those cars with the roof vs. the same model without. The reason being is the sun shade slider, motor and other various parts are hidden under the headliner.

Plus if you have a design that goes out of the car when it is open you have more risk of it getting hit with something while it is tilted up and back and having it crack. Usually hatchbacks/coupes have this kind of setup since they do not have enough space in the roof to accomodate the glass when open.

X

---

The difference is that a sunroof is solid, while a moon roof is glass so you can see through it.

As with others, I'll +1 this, too. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Makes sense. Glad I know now. I've been debating on whether or not there was a legitimate (sp?) reason for getting the moonroof.... or if it was simply an impulse buy.

I'm 6'3" tall... and I'd love an additional 1" of headroom. Sometimes.... I just don't think before I leap!

Oh well..... Hopefully they'll come out with the seat brackets that accomodate Recaro or Sparco! I can do without the power adjustability....but I'd LOVE it if the seat would go lower....and the thigh portion of the seat extended a little farther for more long term comfort!

*I actually started a decent thread! W00T!*

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

"What is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof? Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs."

Via sunroofs.org

and i found another more verbose version of the same info

"A sunroof is opaque (usually flush metal with the body color on the outside). This roof can either tilt open to vent, slide open to let in light, or both. It is called a sunroof because the opacity prevents the sun from heating up the vehicle. These have existed for quite some time.

In the 1970s, Ford introduced a glass sunroof that they named the Moonroof (actually, the American Sunroof Company, the company that made all domestic sunroofs and now known as American Specialty Cars invented it, but Ford was the first to install it). So to answer the question, a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass.

The problem is, the distinction is becoming lost as more and more people use it incorrectly. Most people today just consider any sort of hole in the roof a sunroof. But in the strictest sense, sunroof=metal, moonroof=glass."

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I know the Accord had a moonroof because the original sheet was in the glove box when I purchased it.

I just wanted to know....if there was a difference in headroom between the both, or if one should just go without it to savor in the head-room gain!

I really do hate being the GrapeApe!

I'll ditto the solid=sun, translucent=moon, as common usage of the terms.

Nothing to do with whether it's tilt, sliding, internal, external.

A simple pop-top moonroof, the least expensive aftermarket install, would probbly increase headroom a bit.

Power sliding (going into our brand new LOB Monday) will probably decrease headroom a bit.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived