LegacyGT.com

rented a 2.51; own an LGT

my dd is my '05 LGT. love it, etc.

this past weekend, i rented a 2.5i in phx for the drive north to flagstaff.

i was vey curious as to how the nonturbo would perform compared with the turbo, and i ended up being quite impressed! especially liked the gas mileage readout!

would not be without my turbo under any circumstances but the rental was still a fun car. cheap, too! eljay

i'm way out of my depth . . .

I've rented Outbacks (the regular, NA version) and the comparison with our OBXT is always interesting. I'm disappointed more by the 4EAT vs 5EAT difference than by the actual power (which, of course, is also something of an issue). HPH

I really have to be careful when I switch from my 05 LGT 5MT to my wife's 08 OB 2.5i 4EAT. While the OB is peppy enough around town, as Deer Killer says, accelerating up on ramp is something of an eye opener. It takes forever to go from 30-75 and makes a comparatively unpleasant sound while doing it.

There is no comparison whatsoever.

^ Yep. While the first-gear acceleration of the NA 4EAT 2.5s is OK, the surge you expect when it finally shifts into second (with your foot glued to the floor) just doesn't happen. The RPM drop is really significant -- there's a lot of distance between first and second gears on the 4EAT -- and it takes forever for the poor thing to rev back up and really get going again. It's especially bad at higher elevations (my rentals have been in Colorado).

In contrast, I hardly ever glue my foot to the floor in the OBXT -- and when I happen to, it feels like a rocket ship by comparison. HPH

Lol i used to work for National/Alamo they had mostly GM cars and nissans. Probably the most fun job i ever had, a bunch of 17-25 year old kids who work second shift, managers left at 4 we worked until 11. Just drove the piss out of cars all night lol I was off roading in a nissan SUV and got it stuck in the back of the lot, it took 3 minivans chained together to get that thing out.

You got a suby in Phoenix? Man....I always get a Pontiac somethingorother that has 21 miles on it and feels like it's got 210k miles on it. How'd you luck out?

jack

I specify Subarus in all of my rental agency profiles. Since I'm premium level in all of them, if they have a Subaru available (usually an OB), that's what I get. Have converted many amazed colleagues and friends to Subarus while driving through some really nasty weather on travel.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

As a 2.5i owner, I agree. The car itself isn't under powered by any means. Sure, it's no GT, but it has enough power for daily driving. The weakest point of the car has to be the 4EAT by far. There have been situations where it has taken the tranny a full second to switch gears. :O

Archived