LegacyGT.com

cable for iPod w/ USB and 3.5mm

RustyShackleford

I need a cable for my iPod Touch (music server for my car) that goes to a USB plug (for charging only) and a 3.5mm (aka. 1/8") stereo phono jack (for plugging into the aux-in that I added to my retro-fitted '07 factory radio).

Such cables are readily and cheaply available, e.g.:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L13BNI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: MPI Audio and Sync Cable for iPhone / iPod (Apple Dock Connector to USB / 3.5mm): Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

... but virtually all of them have about 1/3 1-star reviews ("the cable fell apart") and indeed mine (the one linked above) did exactly that. Oh, plus the 3.5mm plug made a loose connection in the jack on my car.

So, does anyone here have experience of a good reliable one ? I'm more than happy to pay more than $5 for some decent build quality, but balk at the $20 or so that the "BMW" ones go for (probably the same quality, but over-priced for the gullible) unless I'm damned sure they're a different and better animal.

• 2 months later...

I got you covered.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1AU0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics[/ame]

Works fine with my iPhone 5 (with adapter) and was fine with my iPhone 4 previously. I am on my second after cracking the first one, but I really think that was my fault by sitting on it or dropping something heavy onto it in the seat. Kensington is a decent brand of course when it comes to this type stuff so I expect my second one to hold up fine with a bit more care. The cable is nice and thick and has a nylon braiding around it as well.

Archived