LegacyGT.com

Trying to pick up an 05 lgt sedan

LoganZJ

I have been trying to pick up a 4th gen lgt in Denver for the last month.

One that I have been looking at: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3507458186.html

He said kbb was 12k, however when i enter the details it comes up at 9k in excellent condition. Another thing is that the car was salvaged once and brought back to stock. He said he bought it from a guy who picks up subies from auctions that only need bolt on panels to be back to normal.

So finally my question: what would you pay for this car?

Thank you for your help.

Subaru is a low volume manufacturer so they do trend toward the higher side of values. Plus AWD might carry a premium value in the area... although that should be reflected in KBB when you put in your zip. It still can hurt to offer what you feel is reasonable and tell them how you arrived at your number. Good luck. If you want a nice 5spd GT LIMITED Wagon and can retrieve it from NC you can buy mine for $10.2K

I searched for 2mos in Phoenix and even looked in Denver too. There are more cars up there, but it seams they were all going for a premium. I lucked out when my 05 wagon literally fell into my lap 15mins after passing on a sedan. I've been keeping tabs on CL since I bought mine last month and there has only been one more that popped up and it's an auto. No thanks.

Good luck... Offer what you want to pay and don't be surprised when the seller says no. I found it to be a sellers market due to the limited availability of these cars.

I ran both of these cars as base model lgts. I realized the leather should be a sign that the first one is a limited, so I modified my search, and it came back very close to the asking price. I don't believe the second one to be a limited model, but I am too new to these cars to even be sure of that.

The reason I am rushing this purchase is because I am moving back to colorado next week and I need a new car immediately. I only have 10k to spend and I was trying to put these cars in my price range...

A 4th gen lgt would be my very first choice of car and I am going to push for that as much as possible. If it is not, I have seen an 06 mazdaspeed 6 for 9k in Denver with only a dented sail panel. A wrx would be next on my list, but I live in summit county, and everyone has one.

I am arranging to have my brother test drive the second one this week because I am on the east coast right now, and he has a lot more subaru experience than I. If everything checks out mechanically, and reflects the ad (given the title and some rock rash on the front bumper) what do you guys think would be a fair price for that car?

I know that all answers are situational and open to interpretation, I am just trying to develop a good ballpark number to keep in mind.

Thank you everyone.

In my search I found a couple 05s and they were all $10-11k. Mileage varied from 82k-137k(the wagon I bought). If its a documented well maintained car, the mileage shouldn't be too much of a deterrent. If its near 100k, ask about timing belt and water pump and of it hasn't been done, factor at least $750-1200 into post purchase repair or get them to discount asking price(unlikely though in my experience).

Two words ya gotta pay attention to:

1. Subaru

2. Colorado

You are around thousands and thousands of potential owners. This isn't Florida where the vehicle is a niche vehicle.

I gladly paid $11,700 for my '05 wagon from Denver a couple months back.

You need to put it into perspective. Is a great/good car worth that extra $1 or $2 possible K?

That is up to you.

Two words ya gotta pay attention to:

1. Subaru

2. Colorado

You are around thousands and thousands of potential owners. This isn't Florida where the vehicle is a niche vehicle.

I gladly paid $11,700 for my '05 wagon from Denver a couple months back.

You need to put it into perspective. Is a great/good car worth that extra $1 or $2 possible K?

That is up to you.

I think this statement was very accurate. And the truth is that I do believe that most of these cars are worth what people are asking. I just don't have that extra 2k. If I did I would probably already own one haha.

Right now I am on the east coast, so I am having a friend who is experienced with subarus test drive it for me tomorrow.

So I have revised my initial post to reflect my new question:

What do you think that the car in the first post is worth, and what would you pay for it with the salvage title?

You probably can get the car for 10K or less. I wouldn't get caught up in going over book a few $100's, some markets may have a little more demand that KBB doesn't account for. You can always offer what you feel the car is worth once you test drive it.

Salvage is a huge RED FLAG.

Anything with a Salvage title will have a value below KBB fair. It might be a decent deal at 8-9k, but don't go over that. The salvage title trashes the resale value because you don't know about lingering damage issues.

My hunch is that you're best off just walking away. If the seller is asking $11k for a salvage, I doubt he's likely to come down to a fair price.

Archived